DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reflective Tape for Daytime Visibility

JohnLietzke

Reactions
I was thinking about putting some reflective tape on my Mavic to make it easier to view when flying at a distance during the day. The angle of the sun will be a factor in the effectiveness of the tape. I like this idea as it will not alter the takeoff weight while at the same time can be cut to be esthetically pleasing like racing hash marks on the Mavic Enterprise. In additions it should have no impact on weight and reduce flight time.

Does anyone have experience with using something non-metallic to create better visibility. I looked at some skins but nixed the idea due to heat dissipation.

This was kind of what I was thinking. It would definitely have to be non-metallic.
VViViD High Intensity Industrial Grade Honeycomb Pattern Reflective Vinyl Tape (1 Inch x 30ft, Orange)

Attachments

• 61miGF7dyuL._SL1152_.jpg
    61miGF7dyuL._SL1152_.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 30
I was thinking about putting some reflective tape on my Mavic to make it easier to view when flying at a distance during the day. The angle of the sun will be a factor in the effectiveness of the tape. I like this idea as it will not alter the takeoff weight while at the same time can be cut to be esthetically pleasing like racing hash marks on the Mavic Enterprise. In additions it should have no impact on weight and reduce flight time.

Does anyone have experience with using something non-metallic to create better visibility. I looked at some skins but nixed the idea due to heat dissipation.

This was kind of what I was thinking. It would definitely have to be non-metallic.
VViViD High Intensity Industrial Grade Honeycomb Pattern Reflective Vinyl Tape (1 Inch x 30ft, Orange)
Sounds like a great idea. I may steal it :)

Reactions: mereflyer
Seems that at best it Mighthelp if the sun was behind you and the drone in front of you. Still consider that the area giving reflection to your eye is likely very small due to angle of visual incidence and irregularities in the shape of the drone.

Seems that at best it Mighthelp if the sun was behind you and the drone in front of you. Still consider that the area giving reflection to your eye is likely very small due to angle of visual incidence and irregularities in the shape of the drone.
That is certainly true. Even if it was fully skinned reflective orange the likelihood of it being visible past 1000' is very low. I have been watching YouTube videos. Very disappointing results vs the expectations.

Reflective tape can help a few feet away. I put reflective tape on the front arms of my Mini when I got it but there is no substitute for lights. There is a cheap light solution that will be better than reflective tape and not-so-cheap solution that will really help when you fly farther and farther away.

The cheap solution is this little LED light that costs about $6. Cyclops LED light. It's tiny and less than 10 grams and very bright. It is so good I carry one with me all the time. Pop the clips off, put velcro on the bottom and a tab of velcro on your drone and you're good. The LED of course needs to be facing you, but it really helps with orientation. But I say bite the bullet and get a strobe- or both. Sooner or later you'll be flying further away and there is nothing like one or more strobes to help you spot that little speck in the sky. The strobe will increase your VLOS by a lot.

After I realized that the cyclops light was only going to take me so far, I still wanted visual orientation so I got a "headlight" mount, which could then be used without the mount with velco directly on the drone. As I now have 4 strobes, sometimes I use them all. If only one strobe were in the forecast the one I would highly recommend is the Arc V for around $35. Very similar in function and design to the Lume Cube but $15 cheaper and a bit brighter I believe. Firehouse Arc V anti-collision strobe
Below is a composite of the different ways that I can mount a single strobe (Arc II) on my Mini (also showing reflective tape).
1604106156368.png
Arc_mounting.jpg

Fixed the link. Reflective skin film maybe better than a reflector for sunlight. I would not put the skin on the top or battery but the other areas would really help.
Wrapgrade for DJI Mavic Air 2 | Accent Color B (NEON ORANGE)
I really like this product, but not the fact that it's an International source. It seems as though their deliver options are limited (or can't ship to US)? It's a shame since this would effectively be a low cost First Class (or maybe media mail?) delivery here.

there is also a product that targeted the fire rescue peeps that is cut square (so it fits between raised areas on diamond plate) that will also do the trick for you. comes in a roll of about one inch square retro reflective self adhesive material in many colors. not expensive and very durable.

JohnLietzke said:
Fixed the link. Reflective skin film maybe better than a reflector for sunlight. I would not put the skin on the top or battery but the other areas would really help.
Wrapgrade for DJI Mavic Air 2 | Accent Color B (NEON ORANGE)

I really like this product, but not the fact that it's an International source. It seems as though their deliver options are limited (or can't ship to US)? It's a shame since this would effectively be a low cost First Class (or maybe media mail?) delivery here.

Personally I don't think that reflective tape or skin is going to help much once you get 300' out. Even with reflective tape on the bottom, once you get 50' off the ground the reflective tape requires light to reflect, which is coming largely from above. I know I mentioned this above, but am doubling down for emphasis. If you want advice from my experience, instead of blowing $16 on pretty looking tape that while pretty has limited functionality, take that money and buy a strobe (or a set of strobes). IMO once you get beyond flying close distances in open fields a strobe is the only thing that is remotely effective to help maintain VLOS at any distance. JMO

I used Reflective tape all over on my M2Z...didn't make any difference, still looks like a black spec in the sky at distance.
Thanks for the feedback. I came to the same conclusion by using some sticky silver reflective dots yesterday. Once in a great while it would catch the sun at the right angle but never when I actually need it.

When I purchased my 1st Mavic Pro I put aluminum duct tape on it. No issue with interference or weight. Being silver it reflects very well. I put the larger piece on the rear so I could spin and pick up the suns reflection. This helped me orient which direction I was going should I lost connection which seemed to happen frequently in those days.

Thanks for the feedback. I came to the same conclusion by using some sticky silver reflective dots yesterday. Once in a great while it would catch the sun at the right angle but never when I actually need it.

I haven't stickered up my MA2 yet, but here's a picture of my Spark.

20180923_111312.jpg

I decided to do this after reading a lost and found story about a Spark. I took a paper hole punch and used highly reflective D.O.T. sign tape to mark all sides of it.

His had landed upside down in the bush and the pilot found it just by chance as the sunlight reflected off of the four brass contacts that the Sparks have on the bottom of the battery

September 23, 2018 40024 AM EDT.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus