DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Refusal to Register With FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple, the government stands to make a good chuck of coin by requiring people to register. Even though it really gets you nothing in return and in my opinion can't hurt you either. If I register a drone and me number is on it and someone else crashes it, the operator at the time would be at fault. No different then leading someone your car. If I crash into an airport someday and the FAA comes knocking on my door, that drone was sold months ago, I must have forgotten to remove the sticker, sorry. This is just a way to have a little control, maybe get people to fly a little safer and ofcourse make a few bucks on the side.

We were posting at the same time here. You state it is the owner and not the drone who is registered. What is your support for that assertion? The duty to register only occurs when purchase a drone (that you will fly), not when you merely fly one. If you were registering the person, the duty would not be not only on drone purchasers/owners, but on all drone flyers, and that is not what the FAA says, and not with the AMA says. Just because your name is on it does not mean you are being registered.

Again I will return to the car analogy, which one person here keeps criticizing as though it were not on point. I have my mother's last car. She is too old to drive it. She bought it and registered it in her name. I drive it regularly (with her permission, of course). I do not have to register it in my name. If it's found abandoned at the scene of an accident, the police will come to her, and she will tell them who had her car, and they will come question me. They will go to her because it is registered in her name.

Similarly, you are registering the drone. It's not as precise as registering a car because they have not developed the equivalent of VIN numbers for drones. But you must put your FAA number on all of your drones. As a car driver, even when driving someone else's car, you must have your own driver's license (as well as the registered owner's registration). As a recreational drown user, you do not have to have a license to fly a drone. You only have to have a copy of the registration that shows the drone is registered (and the number, the equivalent of a license tag on a car, must be on the drone you are flying).

I've seen your name mentioned in these forums many times, so I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say. If I am wrong about this, please explain why.

So, basically with the drone reg You said you were the owner but want to put another family members name on the reg? And the mother's car reg?, You just don't want to be linked to anything that can get you in legal trouble? NEWS FLASH: Use your moms car
to do a bank robbery. Do you think the authorities might check out the reg and maybe question your family? This post doesn't even make sense anymore. You are looking for support from "Peers"? What smells in here? Most people here register their drones which connects you to the drones thus registering you AND your drones at the same time.

BOOM>>>MIND BLOWN?

It's simple, the government stands to make a good chuck of coin by requiring people to register. Even though it really gets you nothing in return and in my opinion can't hurt you either. If I register a drone and me number is on it and someone else crashes it, the operator at the time would be at fault. No different then leading someone your car. If I crash into an airport someday and the FAA comes knocking on my door, that drone was sold months ago, I must have forgotten to remove the sticker, sorry. This is just a way to have a little control, maybe get people to fly a little safer and ofcourse make a few bucks on the side.

I like your name... it gives me a visual. "If you crash into an airport"? You just want to get away Scott free? Just like @JD2020 ? MAN, we have been getting some real pieces of work in this forum lately. All newbies..

All drones have a make model and serial number.Even the cheapest $40 I own. So they could be registered, JUST LIKE they are in a part 107 registration.
You obviously dont want, or need to understand this.
Because, as you said, the drone you fly isn't registered to you, its registered to a family member.
There's something fishy going on here. Starting with the OP..."MY FRIEND doesn't register his drones"? What kind of cream does he need? Ha.

No, some drones are homemade, and they do not have serial numbers. Also, others here have stated that they own drones that do not have serial numbers. My first drone that I bought about 8 years ago did not have a serial number. So this is something you are completely incorrect about.

Read what the poster in #116 in this thread said: "You do not always have to put in a serial number as some companies just don't have them. One of my drones fell into that category."

You have to register EVERY drone between .55 and 55 lbs.

Last edited:
So, finally you admit that you are wrong about something, and then you dismiss it as "dumb" an unimportant. It is not dumb. Like so much else you've said, you were wrong. Who cares if every Mavic and other DJI product has a serial number? Those are FAR from the only drones made, and the fact that all DJI drones have serial numbers is completely irrelevant to a registration system that requires registration of all drones of a certain weight. When you say "all of the ones big enough to be considered by the FAA DO have a serial number," you are still wrong unless you are referring merely to all of your drones of that weight. There are drones that are heavy enough to require registration that do not have serial numbers, and that is an undeniable fact.

It IS dumb

Me personally, I don't see the reason to register if I am flying as a hobbyist. I've been flying helicopters and quadcopters for some time now. Before I ever purchased a DJI product, I used home built race quads or bought them already built from forums then bought prebuilt ones like Walkera, ImmersionRC and the likes. Never registered with the FAA, and I don't think I ever will. So far I've been good and no one has bothered me after so many years.

Should we say "cool"? Or should we say "why are you so special you don't follow the rules in a hobby you obviously love?" I'll send you the $5.00 if thats the problem.

Because they are registered for and to HIM joker

I like your name... it gives me a visual. "If you crash into an airport"? You just want to get away Scott free? Just like @JD2020 ? MAN, we have been getting some real pieces of work in this forum lately. All newbies..
I'm not saying me personally, I just gave an example of how easy it would be to deny any involvement in an accident. Thank you for passing judgment on me based on a single paragraph. Not a newbie either, far from it.

I'm not saying me personally, I just gave an example of how easy it would be to deny any involvement in an accident. Thank you for passing judgment on me based on a single paragraph. Not a newbie either, far from it.

You are new to this forum.

You are new to this forum.
And what does that have to do with anything? My opinion is less than yours because of my time on a forum? Out of everything I've said and you've said, my time as a member of this forum is all you are comprehending? I get it, you've probably been doing this for years. Nothing better to do with your time then stare a screen and be better than everyone else. Good for you, everyone needs a hobby. Tell you what, I'm going to go fly my drone because that's my hobby, you stay here and be better then everyone.

And what does that have to do with anything? My opinion is less than yours because of my time on a forum? Out of everything I've said and you've said, my time as a member of this forum is all you are comprehending? I get it, you've probably been doing this for years. Nothing better to do with your time then stare a screen and be better than everyone else. Good for you, everyone needs a hobby. Tell you what, I'm going to go fly my drone because that's my hobby, you stay here and be better then everyone.

I was simply quoting your comment about trying to get away with a crime. That is what I am comprehending. I said it before about the OP. "His Friend" doesn't want to register his drone?

OK guys I have deleted around 16 post in this thread that was started back up and was because
of 2 members . I got several post from other members just because they would not have looked right if I had left them and am sorry this was not because of you .
I see no reason for this to go any further and stops here .
If you have anything to say about this do so in a PM to me or an Admin .
Unknown-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan