DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registering second uas

You don't.If just for recreation only you are registered and that # goes on anything you fly .
Just use the same #.

You can use the same registration number as long as you registered under Section 336. If you registered under Part 107, you'll need to register again.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I agree that yes, this is the requirement. Although it doesn't make sense. what difference does part107 make as far as connecting a drone to a person? And why would Part 107 require numbers unique to the drones, and 336 only require a number unique to the owner, when both achieve the same thing?

ETA; what if one INTENDS to only use the second, and any additional drones only for 336 flights? Its my understanding that Part 107's can fly both, so why cant they register both ways?

why would Part 107 require numbers unique to the drones, and 336 only require a number unique to the owner, when both achieve the same thing?
That's a fantastic question. I'm not sure why the FAA requires unique registration numbers when flying commercially. Flying is flying, right?

That's a fantastic question. I'm not sure why the FAA requires unique registration numbers when flying commercially. Flying is flying, right?
I also snuck in additional thoughts,
If you can be BOTH part 107 and part 336, why cant you register drones both ways?

If you can be BOTH part 107 and part 336, why cant you register drones both ways?
I guess you technically could. However, you only need a Part 107 registration if you're going to fly both as a hobbyist and commercially.

When I first received my new drone, I registered it as recreational. Then I decided to peruse a 107 cert. Upon receiving cert I registered as commercial. Now it is registered as both. Any additional for rec I can simply fly same reg. But if I choose to use as 107, registeration!

“Talk to the Animals”. Pushme-Pullyou

I also snuck in additional thoughts,

You can. Under 336 you are not actually supplying any information about the drone though - that registration just applies to all your aircraft. If you fly under Part 107 and have drones that you only use for recreational then you can just use the 336 registration number for them. If the drones are dual-use then they need a unique Part 107 registration number and you can use that for recreational use too, so no need to label with your 336 number.

Reactions: ac0j

I suspect that it is tied up in the Special Rule that prohibited further regulation of hobby flights. The FAA went for the least intrusive registration method as a result. Even that got challenged and thrown out, of course, until Congress stepped in and started fixing the mess that they had made.

Reactions: ac0j and msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21