DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REGISTRATION

WARRIK

Reactions
I just searched through a bunch of registration posts but could not find this answer...I just purchased a drone that was already registered in another part of the country...do I need to re-register it in my area? Thanks to all that respond.

If you fly as a hobby and not for money, you don't register any drone. You register yourself and obtain one registration number to put on all of your drones. Make sure you go to the correct FAA, .gov, site to register for $5.

It depends. If you plan to fly as a hobbyist only, then you only need to register yourself. If you’ve previously owned drones and already have a unique registration number, simply place your number on the craft accordingly. If you have never gone through the registration process then you need to do that. As a hobbyist you don’t register each and every individual craft. You as a pilot will receive a registration number and that same number will be what you put on each of your craft.

If you are flying commercially then yes, each individual drone must be registered. And if the process was done correctly, the previous 107 registrant should remove the UAV from service with the FAA which basically decertifies it. The new operator would then register it back in to service and receive another registration number.

I just searched through a bunch of registration posts but could not find this answer...I just purchased a drone that was already registered in another part of the country...do I need to re-register it in my area? Thanks to all that respond.
i know your question has been answered but others may be reading as well. as far as i know, there is no geographic component to registration. as others have said, it's depend on your status and the drone's status, nothing to do with your part of the country or registration in your area.

Reactions: dawgpilot
All UAS greater the .55 lb and less that 55 lb must be registered to the current owner, the registration number must be displayed on the UAS and a copy of proof of the registration must be in your possession. This is the latest FAA Rule since mid MAY. Plus the owner must be 13 years of age.

All UAS greater the .55 lb and less that 55 lb must be registered to the current owner, the registration number must be displayed on the UAS and a copy of proof of the registration must be in your possession. This is the latest FAA Rule since mid MAY. Plus the owner must be 13 years of age.
If hobby flight, nothing is ever "registered to the current owner". The owner of any such drone must register themselves as a flyer. When you register, it never asks you about any drone.

I don't think anyone linked it yet, but the official registration site is FAADroneZone. Avoid any similarly named scam sites.

If hobby flight, nothing is ever "registered to the current owner". The owner of any such drone must register themselves as a flyer. When you register, it never asks you about any drone.
FAA Drone Zone when registering now asks for manufacturer and model when registering along with requesting $5.00
faadronezone.com

Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations
  • Subscribe
  • Print
You are considered a recreational user if you fly your drone for fun. It is important to know when and where you can fly and how to register your drone.

New Changes to Recreational Drone Flying in the United States
There's a new law (PDF) that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes. Following these rules will keep you and your drone safe and will help keep the airspace available to everyone.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:

FAA Drone Zone when registering now asks for manufacturer and model when registering along with requesting $5.00
faadronezone.com

Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations
  • Subscribe
  • Print
You are considered a recreational user if you fly your drone for fun. It is important to know when and where you can fly and how to register your drone.

New Changes to Recreational Drone Flying in the United States
There's a new law (PDF) that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes. Following these rules will keep you and your drone safe and will help keep the airspace available to everyone.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:

Are you sure you picked the Recreational option instead of the Part 107 option?

Here is the pdf from the Official FAA FAADRONEZONE.COM website. The rules changes around May 24, 2019

Attachments

• Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
Here is the pdf from the Official FAA FAADRONEZONE.COM website. The rules changes around May 24, 2019

The official site isn't FAADroneZone.com - like I said, you need to be careful of scam sites. The correct site is FAADroneZone dot FAA dot Gov.

I already have a recreational registration number, along with a separate Part 107 registration specific to my Mavic Air, so unfortunately I can't check what they are asking for when registrating recreationally since the site says I'm already registered.

I just created a new account and Recreational Registration does NOT ask for aircraft specifics. See image below:

Now if you jump over to the Part 107 side the first thing you see is asking for your Aircraft Information (see below):

The official site isn't FAADroneZone.com - like I said, you need to be careful of scam sites. The correct site is FAADroneZone dot FAA dot Gov.

I already have a recreational registration number, along with a separate Part 107 registration specific to my Mavic Air, so unfortunately I can't check what they are asking for when registrating recreationally since the site says I'm already registered.
My typo error; I apoligize! You can argue all you want. The new rules are the new rules the website is FAADroneZone. Still the pdf file I posted is from that site. Still Rules are for everyone including you and me and everyone else. It is the drone dudes that think rules are for everyone but them that in the end make if difficult for the rest of us that abide by the rules. My last reply on this.

My typo error; I apoligize! You can argue all you want. The new rules are the new rules the website is FAADroneZone. Still the pdf file I posted is from that site. Still Rules are for everyone including you and me and everyone else. It is the drone dudes that think rules are for everyone but them that in the end make if difficult for the rest of us that abide by the rules. My last reply on this.

I'm not sure what rules you are referencing. The registration rules haven't really changed in a couple of years. (except for the most recent change to the requirement to post your registration number on an external surface of the drone versus allowing it to be inside the battery compartment)

I read the document you posted and there wasn't anything new.

But you stated Rec now asks for manufacturer and model (see quote below)

Not to pick on anyone but I went in as a new user and proved that statement to be wrong.

I think we have this topic completely covered now.

imo, the act of registering a drone to a recreational pilot occurs when the pilot attaches his personal number to the drone. if 10 legal drones were set upon a table, nobody could tell them apart. and every one of them could be traced to an owner. in my mind, that's de facto registration.

if a drone is flown and it doesn't have a number attached, it doesn't matter if the drone itself is "registered" or not, it isn't legal. my thinking is people who are saying recreational drones aren't registered (as if that really matter)...it's a distinction without a difference because it would be quite correct if the drone only had it's unique number on it alone.

put your personal number on that drone and it's registered. since i personally believe registration is confiscation, i don't take comfort in the idea that my drone's s/n doesn't appear in a government database so all is fine. it's not. particularly since removing the number from the drone and flying it would be illegal. and it's going to be worse when everyone finally believes that simply possessing a drone without a registration number on it is just as illegal.

my thinking is people who are saying recreational drones aren't registered (as if that really matter)...it's a distinction without a difference because it would be quite correct if the drone only had it's unique number on it alone.

The difference being discussed is not about what difference it makes when complying with the law, the difference is that something was done incorrectly. For example, if you are flying for hobby and you were required to enter drone information you may very well have been registering under Part 107 which requires this. You did not register correctly and now, technically, you would be flying illegally. You may have also paid some 3rd party $25 and not even realized that you only needed to pay the FAA $5. If you are flying hobby and were required to enter drone information... you did not register correctly with the FAA. That is what was being pointed out. Some people may need to know this.

In other words, it was being mentioned so the poster could determine how he varied from the correct registration path (which if he registered under Part 107 would mean he was not flying legally and we've seen this happen before). Instead he just wanted to take offense and change it somehow into people wanting to fly without registering. To each their own. This is is an Internet forum. Some meaning can be lost.

The difference being discussed is not about what difference it makes when complying with the law, the difference is that something was done incorrectly. For example, if you are flying for hobby and you were required to enter drone information you may very well have been registering under Part 107 which requires this. You did not register correctly and now, technically, you would be flying illegally. You may have also paid some 3rd party $25 and not even realized that you only needed to pay the FAA $5. If you are flying hobby and were required to enter drone information... you did not register correctly with the FAA. That is what was being pointed out. Some people may need to know this.

In other words, it was being mentioned so the poster could determine how he varied from the correct registration path (which if he registered under Part 107 would mean he was not flying legally and we've seen this happen before). Instead he just wanted to take offense and change it somehow into people wanting to fly without registering. To each their own. This is is an Internet forum. Some meaning can be lost.

agreed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jsah