DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reliable HDMI Tablets (smaller ones)

Last edited:
Reactions: knsaber
It is a 100% HDMI compliant output from an IOS device. I have the adaptor and use it all the time to mirror the ipad or iphone display to projectors, televisions and just about any HDMI capable display. If the glasses you are looking at need an HDMI input, this will, without a doubt work.

Two ports are needed for successful operation, one to the controller and HDMI to the glasses.

As far as I know (and remember from various Mavic Pro threads) is the HDMI-out port of the lightning connector blocked when you use the USB connector for incoming data to the device (similar to MHL for android), so this probably will not work and that is why nobody is using it. The only solution to use HDMI-goggles will be using an Nvidia shield tablet (IMHO) - I also would be motre than happy if somebody would offer/know a solution with an smaller device/tablet.

Yes, a very narrow field of options!

My wife has my HDMI adapter in her purse..... When she gets home I will test for sure.
The adapter has both the HDMI and a second lightning connector. It sounds like it wont work acording to a couple posters, I will find out for sure soon!

Attachments

• 0fe531c1-5b4a-4da1-a9fe-59cc7eac0908_1.5d9c1d975740edf00400abced957700a.jpeg
    0fe531c1-5b4a-4da1-a9fe-59cc7eac0908_1.5d9c1d975740edf00400abced957700a.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 22
I recommend not going down the device rabbit hole, and buy a DJI crystalsky

I've considered it, early feedback, however, is not encouraging. Last thing I want is a lead roll in an ongoing experiment. Not to mention this unit with the glasses will cost more than the quad.

Still no wife with my adapter, but some reading online says the lightning port on the adapter is just for charging.
I'll still hook it all up and try it when she gets home.

Kindle fire 7 $49
BUT Can you get DJI app on this without modifications?
I wouldn’t even bother. I have the latest gen Fire 8 and wouldn’t even consider flying with it. Besides the pathetically slow speed, and Amazon’d Android, the display has to be about 1/3 the brightness of my iPad mini 4. And believe me I’m not bragging about the iPad mini 4‘s brightness, which to me is acceptable but just barely.

Mike

Does the age of the Nvidia make any difference? I'm watching several, one is three years old running v5.0 and a six month unit running 7.0, so which is the better way to go?

I will try it tonight and find out for sure.
Many of us have done that already and it doesn't, which isn't surprising since even Apple on the adapter page says the Lightning port is only for charging.

You still have to supply the HDMI feed.

And as I am now aware it lacks a USB port. Not to mention how heavy it must be with two batteries clamped on the back. Are you using the Nvidia Shield?

USB port in itself isn't anything, it just isn't an android tablet that could run the GO4 app.

I don't have a Shield myself but my colleague does and we've used it for that purpose.

USB port in itself isn't anything, it just isn't an android tablet that could run the GO4 app.

I don't have a Shield myself but my colleague does and we've used it for that purpose.

But it needs to be USB to the controller as understand it.

It needs to be an android tablet, and any android tablet always has an USB port. That display/recorder isn't an android tablet so whether it has an USB port or not doesn't even matter.

It is odd that there are so few, if any now, consumer tablets that work well outside in the sun. Surely it isn't just drone fliers that need that kind of functionality.

I would assume the main issue is a strong enough, backlight for the LCD, if using backlit LCD, which consumes a lot of power and generates heat. Sure that would impact battery life, but if it means something than can be easily seen in sun I think it is an acceptable trade-off.

I have an iPad mini 4 and iPhone X and while the mini 4 is definity better, I wouldn't call either great in strong sun.

Mike

I use the shield with my Air and it works great. Only issues are it can be hard to see the screen in bright sun and the DJI Go 4 app can take a while to boot up. But once it gets going, the experience is very smooth. Also need to carry around a separate mount to connect to RC, but there are several good options out there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin