DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID update

I updated firmware on my Air 2S and I would say I’m broadcasting now. I saw this in my AirData log.
Did you get the option to enable or disable the RID or to include any data like your FAA registration number in the broadcast? There are several Apps on Google Play that claim to receive the data transmitted and put the locations on a map…

Last edited:
Did you get the option enable or disable the RID or to include any data like your FAA registration number in the broadcast? There are several Apps on Google Play that claim to receive the data transmitted and put the locations on a map…
In the firmware update notes, DJI explicitly said it cannot be disabled.

On the other note... why would they spam the logs with that as a 'warning' if it's normal?

Scary times are coming... Wonder when we get info on the add-on module for 'older' drones. Cost/size. Not going to get rid of my P4P or Mavic Pro just to have RID installed in the new ones.
I don't like adding to my drones. But wont have a choice soon.

Curious log entry in your Airdata notifications. I upgraded to the new firmware last week on my Mavic 3. I checked all of my recent Airdata logs since the upgrade including 5 flights yesterday and don't see any messages resembling the screen capture shown above or any reference to RID.

Reactions: LoudThunder
It might just be a "check" to ensure it's operational since if it isn't, supposedly you wouldn't be able to take off with the new rules. It may not necessarily be broadcasting yet. Just a thought...

Scary times are coming... Wonder when we get info on the add-on module for 'older' drones. Cost/size. Not going to get rid of my P4P or Mavic Pro just to have RID installed in the new ones.
First one came out a week ago or so, was $300. I'd imagine though the closer we get to the rule, that they should become cheaper with more options... hopefully. I'm mainly waiting for drone-hack to see if they can exploit the newest firmware and have the ability to retain remote-id as needed.

The add-on I saw recently was transferable between drones so model not displayed, only location and who owns it. Have too many Phantoms for individual Remote ID

The add-on I saw recently was transferable between drones so model not displayed, only location and who owns it. Have too many Phantoms for individual Remote ID
I think they can be used as "limited remote id", where you could still fly outside of FRIA space, but had to maintain vlos.

This is the other question I wonder least far as recreational goes.

If remote id doesn't require the PIC to maintain VLOS anymore. Was the vlos requirement more about being able to locate the pilot than it was about safety? Because the only thing that is to be gained from remote id is to be able to locate the pilot, it's not increasing any visual/situational awareness for the PIC.

Alien Drones reviewed a RID device several days ago. It costs 300 UK pounds ... around $315 at current exchange rate.

I think they can be used as "limited remote id", where you could still fly outside of FRIA space, but had to maintain vlos.

This is the other question I wonder least far as recreational goes.

If remote id doesn't require the PIC to maintain VLOS anymore. Was the vlos requirement more about being able to locate the pilot than it was about safety? Because the only thing that is to be gained from remote id is to be able to locate the pilot, it's not increasing any visual/situational awareness for the PIC.
Apparently according to Greg at pilot institute. RID doesn't remove vlos requirements but rather allows for bvlos waivers to be granted (won't be possible with limited RID or no rid.). Otherwise vlos is still required unless you get a waiver.

Apparently according to Greg at pilot institute. RID doesn't remove vlos requirements but rather allows for bvlos waivers to be granted (won't be possible with limited RID or no rid.). Otherwise vlos is still required unless you get a waiver.
That is correct. BVLOS waivers won't be granted for drones with a module or no RID.

guess I'm gonna become an outlaw I will not pay 300 for an rid mod. That ridiculous
Supposedly as the timing becomes closer and more companies get involved, maybe we'll see em around 50... still seems like a bit much but still...

Maybe just make every state/city/etc park a FRIA area lol. Seems to be the common places to fly within the rec realm.

This is not for air safety. It’s a tool for law enforcement to find and harass the owner, fine them , or confiscate their equipment for a perceived threat to “fill in the blank”.

When FAA hands over enforcement to any law officer, they are doing a disservice to the drone pilots who are law abiding. Imagine if an FDA food inspector could pull you over for speeding? I can tell you that an angry forrest or park ranger or sheriff who doesn’t know federal FAA law will be just fine seizing your equipment until he has time to find a local law or ordinance that may stick and if not, he’ll apologize a week later and maybe your SD card is gone when you get your drone back. Just ask Trappy.

If the Federal government had tried the same RF ID tracker enforcement with automobiles to transmit their gps location wirelessly, speed, and owner’s name or home address, people would be pissed.

For example, a few years ago if you called the local small airport tower and requested permission to fly a UAV in their controlled airspace below 50 feet or below the tree tops, it was almost always denied. Essentially low altitude drone pilots do not have the same rights to the airspace, so why are they being treated worse and being opened to harassment from non-FAA enforcers and officers when real pilots of single-engine and larger aircraft are not. Serious over-reach under the guise of air safety.

Last edited:
Check out Drone Scanner by Dronetag. Available for both Android and iOS. You will see that the info is as live as live gets! :(
Looked at the reviews and all of them said the app is limited to Bluetooth 4. Installed it myself and same thing, no BT5 or wifi. Not sure what anyone would see at this point.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure