DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home initiated behind the building and RTH is lower than the building

ice2hot

Reactions
Hi all Drone experts.

I wanted to better understand the Return to home function.

I know that I am supposed to set the return to home than anything higher than my surrounding.

In case, let's assume that if my Mavic 2 pro loses the signal behind a building and my RTH altitude is lower than the building, Obstacle avoidance and RTH obstacle avoidance is on and while flying back, a building comes in the way, what will it do? I'm assuming it should be point 1 but not sure.

1- Ascend till it clears the path and continues flying back. Also is there a limit to how high it can ascend while RTH is active in case if RTH is set lower than the obstacle in front of it.

2- Move right or left and clear the obstacle and fly back- Also what would happen if it moves right and is not able to see any clear path assuming there are tons of buildings, will it continue going left or right till it finds a clear path

3- Just crash into the building

Thanks

Hi all Drone experts.

I wanted to better understand the Return to home function.

I know that I am supposed to set the return to home than anything higher than my surrounding.

In case, let's assume that if my Mavic 2 pro loses the signal behind a building and my RTH altitude is lower than the building, Obstacle avoidance and RTH obstacle avoidance is on and while flying back, a building comes in the way, what will it do? I'm assuming it should be point 1 but not sure.

1- Ascend till it clears the path and continues flying back. Also is there a limit to how high it can ascend while RTH is active in case if RTH is set lower than the obstacle in front of it.

2- Move right or left and clear the obstacle and fly back- Also what would happen if it moves right and is not able to see any clear path assuming there are tons of buildings, will it continue going left or right till it finds a clear path

3- Just crash into the building

Thanks
well first off if you flew behind a building,your drone would of course lose signal,and VLOS and as you know the M2P after it loses signal tries to retrace its flight path in the hopes of regaining a link before it RTH i would think that you would be flying in a high risk area to start with not a good idea

Reactions: Thomas B
well first off if you flew behind a building,your drone would of course lose signal,and VLOS and as you know the M2P after it loses signal tries to retrace its flight path in the hopes of regaining a link before it RTH i would think that you would be flying in a high risk area to start with not a good idea
Thank you for replying. This is just a scenario that I had created to illustrate my query for RTH. That being said would really be nice to have a clarity on my query asked earlier before.

Thank you for replying. This is just a scenario that I had created to illustrate my query for RTH. That being said would really be nice to have a clarity on my query asked earlier before.
@ice2hot have you downloaded the manual off the DJI site it should tell you all you need to know in there with regards to RTH
there are settings in the app that let you decide what actions the drone will make also not all sensors are active in certain flight modes
sorry could not be more helpful as i don't own a M2P

I have never had that scenario but yes it should stop and go up till it clears. There is a video that was posted awhile back showing just that .

Reactions: ice2hot
I have never had that scenario but yes it should stop and go up till it clears. There is a video that was posted awhile back showing just that .
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to get a link of that video.

All of your questions are answered by carefully reading the Mavic 2 User Manual on the DJI website. Each situation is different but there are very detailed procedures outlined in the manual (starting on Page 15) which cover practically any scenario you can think of, including yours.

Perfect response, since that is exactly what would occur in this scenario. The M2 would lose VLOS and then control signal quickly thereafter. After two seconds it would begin to retrace its path in the reverse direction. In this scenario, one would expect the signal to be re-acquired and then the M2 would wait 10 seconds for the RPIC to cancel the RTH procedure and resume flying under pilot control. If that does not happen then it will resume RTH in a straight line. Should it encounter an obstacle on its path, it would then handle them per other procedures listed in the manual, including rising above obstacles. The M2 will however never rise above the max altitude set in Go4 and never beyond the absolute maximum of 500 meters.

This is completely wrong for the M2. The manual clearly states the procedure that will be followed. This is also different than other DJI models. Always read the manual for the definitive information.

I believe also, and this is something that isn't well covered in the manual**: if during RTH the aircraft cannot do any of the above (follow the course back, rise above obstacles within the set altitude), then it will stop and hover, waiting for connection. If connection doesn't occur when battery reaches critical low level, the craft lands where it is.

However, I personally have never had this direct experience. And I could be wrong about it not being well covered in the manual (the hover when all else fails part). So corrections are welcome.

Chris

** there are lots of things not in the manual.

Reactions: Camino Ken
This is completely wrong for the M2. The manual clearly states the procedure that will be followed. This is also different than other DJI models.
Yes I was mistaken and was a P4P but was posted here.
I just read so much here and in PP and messed up.
This was what I had in my head at the moment I made my post.
As far as
Always read the manual for the definitive information.
I have to admit I havn’t read in one since I got the FC40.
Dont need to considering I’m on everyday and probably
read more in 1 day as most read in a month.
These forums are my manual as theirs lack what I get from
here.
Plus if I post wrong info I don’t have to wait long before I am
corrected .
Thanks for the correction. ?

After a few brown trouser moments, I decided to do a 'site survey' as SOP before committing to a flight path. It forms a sensible part of situational awareness.

All this means is that you have a quick fly around, figure out what the tall bits are and where there is anything that could get in the way. Then, adjust any necessary parameters, like RTH.

Figure out your way in, your way out and what you will do if something diverges from programmed parameters before you go airborne for the shoot and you will be golden.

Sure, it adds a minute or three to a shoot, but better safe than having gut-wrenching moments.

Happy Landings - i.

All this means is that you have a quick fly around, figure out what the tall bits are and where there is anything that could get in the way. Then, adjust any necessary parameters, like RTH.

It's a good plan. I do it, even if it means changing to a new battery once I'm ready to shoot it (another good reason to have more spare batteries than you think you'll need).

And testing / practice of features I've read about in the manual before I need it, sometimes with later refresher flights.

Chris

PS: the forums aren't there when you're flying. There's really no substitute for reading the manual, then flying with that understanding to be sure you've got it.

Psst: but I still wish DJI was better with a) their manual writing and b) updates to the manual as DJI Go changes.

Reactions: PhantomFandom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB