DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

safest RTH height for set it and forget it?

Asking for a "set and forget" RTH altitude is like asking for a set & forget cruise control speed for your car. Can't do it. Each flying locale is different. The only generalizations are keep it above the tallest obstacle you could encounter, but keep it as low as possible without encountering said obstacles. Simple as that

Reactions: old man mavic
its more about just checking what height you have it set at before you fly ,mine is set to 120 ft and i will use that if i am satisfied it is right for where i intend to fly
for most of the spots i fly at that setting is fine so no adjustment is needed,but it's not a case that one size fits all when it comes to RTH height

If you are doing a range test, you want to set RTH signal loss elevation as low as possible, as elevating after signal loss due to pushing the range limits to the extreme only makes it worse, sending it farther away, as the hypotenuse of the triangle is longer than the longest side. You are just wasting battery that will turn your range test into a suicide mission!

You should always set your RTH height for the specific location you will be flying in. Keep in mind that if your quad enters RTH mode it will try to climb to your set RTH altitude. This may be OK BUT if the reason it entered RTH mode is a low battery, forcing it to climb to a height higher than absolutely necessary is simply asking for trouble.

In my view, anything to do with flying should never be "set and forget", even if it just demonstrates that you don't have situational awareness. You should always be checking the settings and adjusting according to your situation.
I agree. You should always check this setting at takeoff since it occasionally gets reset during firmware updates. I have always wished that when the Go App tells me that the home point is set that it would also report out the RTH Altitude was currently set at and give me the opportunity to go directly to the setting if I wanted to change it.

I agree. You should always check this setting at takeoff since it occasionally gets reset during firmware updates. I have always wished that when the Go App tells me that the home point is set that it would also report out the RTH Altitude was currently set at and give me the opportunity to go directly to the setting if I wanted to change it.

Have to admit that would be nice, here is to wishing on a DJI star. :p

Surely, if in doubt, nobody should be using auto RTH.
I’m assuming pilots on here are flying VLOS, so just guide the aircraft back manually..... much more satisfying and more importantly.... safer.

Surely, if in doubt, nobody should be using auto RTH.
I’m assuming pilots on here are flying VLOS, so just guide the aircraft back manually..... much more satisfying and more importantly.... safer.
It's a safety feature, should the control signal between the controller and the drone ever be lost, for whatever reason. It's parameters must always be carefully chosen for the environment within which you are flying, even within VLOS

It's a safety feature, should the control signal between the controller and the drone ever be lost, for whatever reason. It's parameters must always be carefully chosen for the environment within which you are flying, even within VLOS
there is value in both comments,learn to fly back manually whenever possible, but at the same time you need to set a safe height, if the auto RTH kicks in for whatever reason

there is value in both comments,learn to fly back manually whenever possible, but at the same time you need to set a safe height, if the auto RTH kicks in for whatever reason
Absolutely! RTH shouldn't be used as a crutch. @Merstham Flyer, however, was questioning the need for auto RTH, which there is always a potential need for when the control signal is lost.

Pro Tip: While operating within VLOS, when your drone is no longer responding to your commands, first make sure it is YOUR drone you have your eyes on, and NOT someone else's drone! ;) It can be very disorienting, when you look up from the controls, and suddenly are looking at the wrong drone! With the recent proliferation of Mavic Minis everywhere, VLOS isn't always your friend!

Last edited:
Absolutely! RTH shouldn't be used as a crutch. @Merstham Flyer, however, was questioning the need for auto RTH, which there is always a potential need for when the control signal is lost.

Pro Tip: While operating within VLOS, when your drone is no longer responding to your commands, first make sure it is YOUR drone you have your eyes on, and NOT someone else's drone! ;) It can be very disorienting, when you look up from the controls, and suddenly are looking at the wrong drone! With the recent proliferation of Mavic Minis everywhere, VLOS isn't always your friend!
i agree when my flying buddy is with me, the only way we can tell them apart is by the fact that i have a skin and nav lights on mine ,but even that doesn't help when we are both out at 1000 ft plus sometimes,plus my old eyes plus floaters, equals, which speck in the sky is the actual drone it's worse in bright sunlight

Above not withstanding, due to my bad neck, I most commonly will hit RTH as my drone gets within 100’ or so. Then pick it up again visually during descent to control landing.
Just make sure it isn't already so close it lands in place, instead of coming back to you!

My RTH is at 160, but I usually am flying in the same area every time. Because of wind, I prefer to keep the RTH as low as possible, but high enough that I don’t have to worry about it. Unless your flying around buildings or large sailboats with high masts, 200’ should be more than enough. What matters most is the area your flying in, no one number fits all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf