DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SC vs Tripltek?

Coskier

Reactions
Has anyone here either gone from, or compared side by side, a Smart Controller and a Tripltek tablet? On the fence about the new SC, and people seem quite impressed with the Tripitek 8". As such, any feedback is welcomed.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: RonanCork
Has anyone here either gone from, or compared side by side, a Smart Controller and a Tripitek tablet? On the fence about the new SC, and people seem quite impressed with the Tripitek 8". As such, any feedback is welcomed.

Thank you
I've never done that and I doubt anyone ever did unless they had some serious pocket money, or they're a YouTuber with the intent on making a video specifically dedicated to that. However, from what I've heard, the Smart Controller (at least the old version) sucks and you might as well get a tablet/phone/iPad.

No comparison here... But I think the way DJI handles the smart controller drone model cross-capability is an abomination. It is far from universal, and if you upgrade your drone it is not only possible, but highly likely that your smart controller that you bought only a year or so ago would not be compatible with your new model. The Mavic 3 is a perfect example. They want a lot more money for the basic drone and provide the cheapest controller they make. Yet you've spent how much on the SC only to find you can't use it on the newer model. Lack of planning and execution or pure greed? You decide.

I've had the SC for the M2P and love it, but given how they chose to not support a lot of models with it, makes me leery of getting the new one. That 8” Tripltek sure seems to solve that issue.

Reactions: Gary R
I enjoy seeing while I am flying, so an 8-inch display vs 5.5 is not a comparison, not to mention compatibility and use.

Reactions: GFields
I should also add that compatibility with other apps is appealing too. I wonder if the RC Pro is as locked down as the first one was.

I enjoy seeing while I am flying, so an 8-inch display vs 5.5 is not a comparison, not to mention compatibility and use.
I have never had an enlarged display, but if there is a similar comparison, I do have VR goggles that I use with my M2P and I can state that it is far easier to fly through tight spaces than trying to judge off a phone.

Has anyone here either gone from, or compared side by side, a Smart Controller and a Tripltek tablet? On the fence about the new SC, and people seem quite impressed with the Tripitek 8". As such, any feedback is welcomed.

Thank you
I am making a youtube video with the tripltek 8 and Mavic 3 tomorrow but I do not have the SC controller to compare, I only purchased the fly more package.

I look forward to seeing it. At this point I am committed to trying it out. Just not sure if I want to order direct from them, or buy (and wait) from Amazon so I can have the return option. I just don't see the RC Pro being worth it if this Tripltek checks off most of the boxes.

Last edited:
The Tripltek tablet is awesome and you can use it with EVERY drone

I had the smart controller. Then I mounted the freeworld monitor on top due to the crap screen on the SC (or maybe my crap eyes)
Then i did get the tripletek and after using it, packed up the smart controller and sold it.
The triplek is amazing and can be used with anything in my fleet so is a winner hands down.

Got my hands on a tripletek T82 today. It is a beast and maybe a sun shade with a much less expensive tablet may have been a cheaper way to skin this cat for a similar end result. I'm only trying it out since it is eventually going to be deployed at work for a shopify POS test. First impressions are just so so and had I paid for it personally I think I may have suffered buyer's remorse. Huge price tag. Hopefully, I can try it out for a flight on Saturday.

Got my hands on a tripletek T82 today. It is a beast and maybe a sun shade with a much less expensive tablet may have been a cheaper way to skin this cat for a similar end result. I'm only trying it out since it is eventually going to be deployed at work for a shopify POS test. First impressions are just so so and had I paid for it personally I think I may have suffered buyer's remorse. Huge price tag. Hopefully, I can try it out for a flight on Saturday.
How is the T82?

Well, I wanted to like the T82. I really did. But it just didn't quite meet my expectations. Some of the negatives that I came across, in no particular order:
-It was slow. Noticeably slow.
-Parts of it were poorly designed such as the weather proof cap over the USB type C connector,. It constantly got in the way and if they had made it just a little bit bigger it would rotate out of the way allowing the cable housing room to fit easily in the space. Instead, I was always fighting with it trying to get a couple of cables to fit properly without the case or cap area obstructing the cable from seating properly

On my last flight, I actually put it away and went back to my old Samsung S7 which I had used before the tablet arrived.

If the screen was say ten or 12 inches, then yes I would say it was worth the price. But I think what I am going to do is just get a conventional tablet in that size for about half the cost and the larger screen size will make up for the dimmer display. I never really had a problem with the Samsung S7 but I did want something bigger.

I did get a new cable the other day which reduced but not eliminated some of the cable seat problems I had so I will take it for one last flight tomorrow for final judgment. On Monday it will be reconfigured for Shopify and be deployed at work.

Overall, no i was not thrilled with it and glad I had the chance to test fly it without using my own money.

Reactions: jake20934
The last thing I should mention regarding the T82 was ordering it directly from them on their website. This may not be of any consequence to US residents but when shipping internationally it can be a problem.

Years ago I learned the hard way to avoid UPS for international shipments to Canada. UPS, unlike every other shipping company I know, charges a brokerage fee to clear Canada Customs. So, knowing that, I have an outright ban on using UPS for inbound international shipments.

On the Tripletek website when ordering I had three options for shipping (USPS - I forgot the rate), UPS @ $45 or DHL Worldwide @ $65. I selected DHL. I've had great luck with DHL since everything ordered direct from the DJI website and shipped to Canada ships from China via DHL. I've received some items in less than four days. And there is no brokerage fee! Miami to Toronto would be next day or two days at most.

Two hours after placing the order, I get a shipment notification with a UPS tracking label. I email customer service right away and they don't reply until almost the close of the day after the shipment has already been picked up. The answer that I got from them was that the warehouse chooses the fastest method. Well, why the heck did I just pay $18 more for DHL when I could have just paid the $45 for UPS????

The worst was the next day when I was hit with an additional $25 brokerage fee from UPS.

So yeah, not the greatest customer service particularly when you pay for a service and you get something else but there is no refund on the service not provided. Shady at best and in some jurisdictions it is outright fraud.

@TRIPLTEK really should do something about this

Some of the cables are right angled or have a bigger head. Also, when it is cold (like freezing point or below) it is not as easy to move it out of the way. Not sure if it contracts or is just less pliable with the cold temps but making it just a little bigger (2mm) would help.

So I borrowed the T82 tablet from work today to see if my initial impressions were still valid. I didn't get much of a chance to try it because after two flights the touch screen because unresponsive in the cold. It wasn't terribly cold, maybe -2C or about 28F. Went back to the Samsung S7 and flew for a couple of hours with no problem. You pay a huge premium for this tablet and it really has underperformed for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman