DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SCAM: Used Drones re-packaged and sold as new?

Thanks. Is there a serial # on the outside of the box?

Yes.

My original MA2 fly more combo has the sticker on the lid part of the box on the lower right side on the front of the box, not the top.

Understand....If they don't have a way to easily report a scammer (inApp feature) then OfferUp is ultimately doing harm to themselves. I think I'm going to play this one out a bit and see if I can easily spot the scam and then report the person. I will call it my good deed of the day. Although the scammer will probably be back online in hour under a different name. I'm jussayin...
Lol! They do have a report feature but nothing ever becomes of it. I haven't seen anyone removed and if they are, it takes awhile.

Reactions: JetM
Ok, thanks...so the sticker has the serial# on it. Good to know.

Reactions: MA2 317
Ok, thanks...so the sticker has the serial# on it. Good to know.

I ran the serial number of my MA2 and it came back as being manufactured on 22 June 2020.

I purchased it in August 2020.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Cool...good to know about this serial checker.

There is one other consideration, even if it was an immaculate condition second hand seller refurb, is it bound to anyone's account etc etc, (As has been the subject of at least two threads in here)

I have bought a WAY-too-good-a-price-to-be-true-drone from an new ebay seller. I fully expected it to be a scam and, before I bought it, I verified, with ebay, that if it turned out to be a scam I would get my money back. Ebay did verify that and it was a scam and I did get my money back. As a further safeguard I used a credit card to pay them via paypal.
The advert used EXACTLY the same photos and text as had a similar advert a few weeks before.
If I had not had the assurance from ebay that I would get my money back I would not have bought it.
If the auction site does not offer that guarantee why risk your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one other consideration, even if it was an immaculate condition second hand seller refurb, is it bound to anyone's account etc etc,

I have bought a WAY-too-good-a-price-to-be-true-drone from an new ebay seller. I fully expected it to be a scam and, before I bought it, I verified, with ebay, that if it turned out to be a scam I would get my money back. Ebay did verify that and it was a scam and I did get my money back. As a further safeguard I used a credit card to pay them via paypal.
The advert used EXACTLY the same photos and text as had a similar advert a few weeks before.
If I had not had the assurance from ebay that I would get my money back I would not have bought it.
If the auction site does not offer that guarantee why risk your money.
PhiliusFoggg. Thanks for the info re: ebay. Good to know. The site I'm looking to purchase on (OfferUp) does offer purchase protection (2 days) if you do everything within the app (i.e., communications and payment). If it is not what was promised then you can request a refund from the seller if they refuse then OfferUp will refund your money...as far as I can tell. But you know all of that is a hassle. I suspect this seller will try and get me to do stuff outside of the app so that there is not protection..I'm going to see what his scam is all about. I messaged the seller a few hours ago and no response yet.
Cheers

PhiliusFoggg. Thanks for the info re: ebay. Good to know. The site I'm looking to purchase on (OfferUp) does offer purchase protection (2 days) if you do everything within the app (i.e., communications and payment). If it is not what was promised then you can request a refund from the seller if they refuse then OfferUp will refund your money...as far as I can tell. But you know all of that is a hassle. I suspect this seller will try and get me to do stuff outside of the app so that there is not protection..I'm going to see what his scam is all about. I messaged the seller a few hours ago and no response yet.
Cheers
PayPal is always safe and understandable if the seller wants to go through that venue instead because PayPal only charges 3% as opposed to OfferUp's 12%. I also prefer to deal with PayPal because they have a 30-day guarantee that if the item isn't what it's supposed to be, you'll get your money back.

PayPal is always safe and understandable if the seller wants to go through that venue instead because PayPal only charges 3% as opposed to OfferUp's 12%. I also prefer to deal with PayPal because they have a 30-day guarantee that if the item isn't what it's supposed to be, you'll get your money back.
Interesting...I didn't know that. I'll have to look at PayPal's T&C's to understand under what conditions a product could be returned. 30 days is great for the buyer but not so great for the Seller. Granted in this case I'm the buyer. As a seller I would hate to have a Buyer tell me 29 days after the purchase that what I sold them wasn't what they expected...e.g., product didn't perform as expected, etc ....And expect their money back.

Interesting...I didn't know that. I'll have to look at PayPal's T&C's to understand under what conditions a product could be returned. 30 days is great for the buyer but not so great for the Seller. Granted in this case I'm the buyer. As a seller I would hate to have a Buyer tell me 29 days after the purchase that what I sold them wasn't what they expected...e.g., product didn't perform as expected, etc ....And expect their money back.
It's similar to eBay's policy. eBay has a 30-day moneyback guarantee. Essentially, you have 30 days to report a problem with the item.

Reactions: JetM
I put my serial number in and it said model unknown and build was 1. February 2025 ill recheck my number

i can confirm that post with proofs if somebody want. brand new mini 2 and the controller was like someone used it for 1 year. Seller is very popular here also.

i can confirm that post with proofs if somebody want. brand new mini 2 and the controller was like someone used it for 1 year. Seller is very popular here also.
So are you saying that you have proof that someone on this forum has sold a used drone packaged as new drone (w/cellphane wrap)? I would report this person to the moderators for sure. We don't need to have dishonest sellers on this forum. If you are 100% sure of this I would go public with that proof so others don't get deceived.

So are you saying that you have proof that someone on this forum has sold a used drone packaged as new drone (w/cellphane wrap)? I would report this person to the moderators for sure. We don't need to have dishonest sellers on this forum. If you are 100% sure of this I would go public with that proof so others don't get deceived.
you misunderstood me

Been selling on eBay for close to 20 years. eBay sales are easy to deal with. If the item is not as described just request a return and refund on eBay with the reason being Not As Described. Using that reason the seller is forced to provide a paid shipping label for the return and to refund you. If they fail to send the return label, after about 10 day eBay will refund you and let you keep the item. If they don't send the refund eBay will just take the money out of their account.
I've always had good luck on e-Bay. Don't get me wrong. I have had a few unsavory experiences over the years, e-Bay member since 04-03) but have usually been able to come to an agreement between me and seller. On the couple of occasions I have been unsuccessful I have asked e-Bay to step in and have always been satisfied with final outcome. One time in particular was when I bought a Banks programmer and exhaust system and seller refused to send first pipe coming off of turbo. He stated it was a "Cat Back" only exhaust when he clearly showed a complete from "Turbo Back" one. My truck doesn't even have a CAT and neither did his. e-Bay refunded a portion after he did not respond back to their investigation. I have a 446, 100% Positive Feedback rating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada