DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SCARY ! Batteries not locking in

Here's some raw data. Zip tied my battery on. Whent out and put her in Sport mode jammed her through the most extreme stupid Petrol head from hell maneuvers.

Pinned the throttle

Performed all but not limited to: chantelles, hammer heads. Full throttle spins, off throttle spins. Loop de loopes, looped de hooops, loop de doos, reversed looped de out and ins, inverted snap rolls with my tongue pointing both left and right, full back stops full forward ups and forwards. Ending in a very aggressive stol landing.

When I returned after throwing up last nights awesome 12 bottles of brew.

I cut the zip tie seat belt and wow it had some tension.

The battery before flight width 45.89mm

After flight 47.2mm

Couple interesting facts. Almost 60c heat
Not alarming. I have a lot of experience with large high voltage hi wattage LiFePo4 solar battery banks. I mean huge! The kind that fit into 45' HC ISO containers.

Here's the data. Please add your 2 cents worth. 20200419_121651.jpegunknow_f87fa436b187904f79efc2bf6273253d_raw.jpegunknow_3ab94b63c64611e9a6f998b77971477a_raw.jpegunknow_8d8947d76e3c113881c81f7c1057a4f8_raw.jpegunknow_a4cbc633046334cbf78cf49c2aa5b465_raw.jpegunknow_5871066bedc9114a25629fdb4c3f1223_raw.jpegunknow_1b7119a7d42bc272b423e83b2f3173b8_raw.jpeg

60c is quite normal when flying, varies of course, but I have seen threads here where people are hitting 70c.
I think as a battery is getting depleted, it can get hotter too, so you probably were within normal range.

Most fly the M2P farily sedately, using it for the cinematic video, or flying about taking photos.
I've hardly flown my M1P in Sports mode more than a handful of times, just give it a go now and then to drop some battery if needed.
I'd say less than 10% of my flight time would have been sports mode.

There is definitely some sort of battery design fault, going by the number of threads where batteries have been ejected, which is coupled to the swelling problem that seems common with the M2 batteries.

The zip ties or tight velcro strap (for easier use) is the go for a while, but I wouldn't trust those batteries for a lot longer.
Also watch them when charging, both the swelling, and the possible fire risk (you've seen drone lipo fire videos on youtube ?).

Reactions: bfine
100% on the same page

We're supposed to replace the batteries after 20 flights????? Hell no

"There is definitely some sort of battery design fault, going by the number of threads where batteries have been ejected, which is coupled to the swelling problem that seems common with the M2 batteries"

In the aviation world this is a grounding issue, with a AD, Airworthness Directive

100% on the same page

We're supposed to replace the batteries after 20 flights????? Hell no

"There is definitely some sort of battery design fault, going by the number of threads where batteries have been ejected, which is coupled to the swelling problem that seems common with the M2 batteries"

In the aviation world this is a grounding issue, with a AD, Airworthness Directive

Agreed !
This problem is right up there with the Mini uncommanded descent issue.
Both the M2 and Mini have serious issues in their own right, Minis get replaced if an uncommanded descent = loss of aircraft.
If an M2 crashes to the ground after a battery loss, all they generally do is say the battery wasn't fitted properly, pilot error.

Updated

Contacted DJI online support.

Because I'm on vacation in the Philippines and stuck in Quarantine lockdown I reached Australia DJI support however I doubt that. It's most likely a call center in the Philippines. . I think their all named Kevin! Haha

Basically **** out of luck, I received the usual canned replies off of a prepared set of flip cards.

Just kept repeating 6month warranty.

I explained this is not about warranty. This is about defective design and workmanship that can case property, bodily harm or death. The flying public must be made aware of this defect! It's the only thing a responsible manufacturer can do.

Then I was told to email DJI USA. So I did. Let's see where that goes, my next email will be to the FAA UAShelp.faa.gov.

Because I am a certified FAA pilot I am required by law to report any safety issues.

This was a good thread about an Aussie who got new batteries under Australian consumer law (fit for purpose).

Maybe something there to help you.

The important thing here was the OP pressed them hard on the fact such an item, at the cost they are, should last far longer than 6 months !!
And under our laws, we can push this into our consumer protection departments to follow up.
I think DJI didn't want something tested in that way, setting a legal precedent, so they coughed up 2 new batteries for him.

Thank for all attention and help.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. Something is wrong and they need to address the issue.

I have bought many DJI products and have been a loyal happy customer. However would I have upgraded to the MP2Z if I knew the batteries would last 6 months or 20 charge cycles? Hell no.

Because I am a certified Pilot for 30 years , the safety issue is more important to me.
I could not live with myself knowing my drone dropped on someone's head from a known preventable issue.

They need to make this right for everyone effected and move on.

I really want to upgrade to the Enterprise with Flair. It's obviously on the same platform so that is now on hold.

Not sure charge cycles where do I locate that?

I have 3 Batteries so divide that by 24. 8 hours on a battery????

Yes , Batteries bought with the drone
Hell no. Not flying until I figure this out.
I can only guess that your batteries are puffed. when it came down with the battery like that were you able to just push it back in and lock it? Did it feel normal going back in ? If there is nothing obvious I would load up that battery, launch it in a hover 3 feet off the ground, put a nice fluffy pillow under it and just watch it, see when the battery pops out and if it crashes, no harm done. If it doesnt then land and check the battery its gotta be puffed or somthing.

It is unfortunate but DJI does not acknowledge that there may have been a defective run of batteries. Obviously, conditions of use, storage and charging vary but there's also a good possibility that something went wrong at the factory.

also a good possibility that something went wrong at the factory
I'm curious. How would DJI be able to effectively tell the difference between a defective battery and one that was not cared for properly?

Reactions: Flycaster
I think what it boils down to is you having lipo batteries for 2 years not putting many flight on them at all (very low flights for 2 yrs) and not knowing really how to take care of them ... not your fault... It's called life....but with lipos you have to know how to take care of them, literally baby them. So i want to ask a few things... When flying u would land around nominal voltage? A good landing voltage is 3.70v per cell so 20 to 25% ? Never taking them repeatedly down to 5%? When you were not flying, and there is a good amount of time between flights, You didn't leave battery's fully charged? Especially anywhere hot? (Garage etc) for long periods of time? Finally when u were not flying did u have the battery's at a storage charge? for long periods of storage this is crucial. So meaning did u store your battery's around 40 to 50 %? Also periodically checking on them? because batterys tend to lose some charge as the days go on (remember i said u had to baby them) I'm not asking u this to bust your balls or pick on u.... But unless u did all these practices then yes it is totally your fault. I have 3 batteries from 9/18 batch batt1 has 107 flights, batt2 98, batt3 104.... No signs of swelling and while in flight voltage does not sag ( u can tap battery icon and watch the 4 cells in flight) and all cells never deviate in each of the 3......i just find it hard to believe all of your battery's with that low # of flight counts are swelling like this..... I could understand if u had a 100 flights on each.... Sorry dude had to be neglect or not knowing how to take care of lipos....and yes before you ask i am the lipo whisperer....jk ...but not really lol i have a lot of experience with lipos from my 3d heli background 15+ years of flying and beating on 14s stick packs 12s packs, 6s lipos 4s 3s, the list goes on.... This is why i tell the other guys here if you guys need help with lipo knowledge just let me know...anyway this was just too educate u, u really have to sit back and ask yourself if you followed all those steps.....good luck with dji buddy

Last edited:
It is unfortunate but DJI does not acknowledge that there may have been a defective run of batteries. Obviously, conditions of use, storage and charging vary but there's also a good possibility that something went wrong at the factory.
If it was from factory shouldnt it have been present from day one of use? I think straight up it was improper care/knowledge thats all...was it his fault? Nah...alot of people don't know how to properly care for lipos. Better luck next time to the guy

If it was from factory shouldnt it have been present from day one of use?

There was a bad batch of M2 batteries from the factory, DJI generally acknowledge many of these when claimed, there's a date range or batch range concerned, been posted in other threads.

That said, 26hrs is a lot of flight time, and 2 years old.

There was a bad batch of M2 batteries from the factory, DJI generally acknowledge many of these when claimed, there's a date range or batch range concerned, been posted in other threads.

That said, 26hrs is a lot of flight time, and 2 years old.
Dji acknowledged that? Lol and sure 26 hours is a decent out of flight time....but not between 3 batterys/ and 2 years! Besides this 26 hours was for the aircraft as a whole..i mean come on i have done "21" flights or whatever the number was for each of his batterys was in a few months time and that was just casual flying on just the weekends because of being busy life/work... so in 2 years between 3 lipos ....im sorry i have to disagree they sat most of their life... With that said another clue as to him not really knowing what to look for with his batterys in fl8ght and in app is the fact that his "show voltage" setting is set to "off" that setting plays a big role for me, when I am flying/looking at general battery health in flight/ can see voltage lag/ crappy battery, clues are voltage turning red when should still be in "geen" ..... I mean surely other people have to have this setting enabled or at least use it... correct? Anyway OP if you are really only getting just 10 minutes of flight time (screenshots above^^^) I would dispose of those batteries because that is crappy for a whole flight battery.... that or it wasn't charged all the way before flying and taking those screenshots? and if that was the case that is not good practice one should charge the battery fully each time before flight. Also I would not use those batteries anymore that is just asking for trouble, like possibly a shutdown midiflight. Just be careful good luck.

Last edited:
Your batteries must be swelled up, dispose of them and get new ones. Make sure you let them cool down before charging them, and store them at 50 to60% (although they will discharge to this level on their own). Definitely, don't use them like that.

Dji acknowledged that? Lol and sure 26 hours is a decent out of flight time....but not between 3 batterys/ and 2 years! Besides this 26 hours was for the aircraft as a whole..i mean come on i have done "21" flights or whatever the number was for each of his batterys was in a few months time and that was just casual flying on just the weekends because of being busy life/work... so in 2 years between 3 lipos ....im sorry i have to disagree they sat most of their life... With that said another clue as to him not really knowing what to look for with his batterys in fl8ght and in app is the fact that his "show voltage" setting is set to "off" that setting plays a big role for me, when I am flying/looking at general battery health in flight/ can see voltage lag/ crappy battery, clues are voltage turning red when should still be in "geen" ..... I mean surely other people have to have this setting a table or at least use it... correct?

Yes, I believe they did, there was a date range for bad batch.
Don't think there was a recall.

I was going on the OPs original post info, assumed he had 26 hours flight time / 2 years old on the battery he was referring to.
I know, that's only 80 or so flights, not good still.
Some of those M2 battery threads have people with 20 or 30 flights and a swollen battery/ies.

I agree with your battery maintenance mentions in several posts generally, pretty much do that myself.
I'm still using 3 original 3-1/2 yo M1P batteries, and one a bit over 3 years old, all still perfect, no swelling ever when warm (they don't seem to get more than warm to the touch) and flight times virtually indiscernible from original.

I'm sure most experienced Mavic pilots use similar battery maintenance methods, this leads me to believe the M2 do have a weaker design, more prone to heat and swelling, especially when pushing it into wind or using sports mode.
Maybe 4s runs a bit hotter than 3s, not sure . . . the flat back of the M2 battery vs the little expansion sace of the M1P battery is a step back.
If the M2 had this it might result in resisting a little swelling in the batteries, and being forced out of the clips in flight.

Take care and safe flights.

To answer everyone, I believe I take care of the batteries properly,

Food for thought .

I've been a multi engine sea plane rated pilot for over 30 years.

Built two of my own airplanes.

Still flying my MP with the same 3 Batteries since January 2017. As well as my MPP from Feb 2018 , still flying on the same batteries.

Besides being a retired U.S. Navy diver I'm a Solar storage engineer.

Just saying.

I believe DJI has or had an issue. If they didn't inform every customer effected, they are liable. This has been formally reported to the FAA UA department.
I think what it boils down to is you having lipo batteries for 2 years not putting many flight on them at all (very low flights for 2 yrs) and not knowing really how to take care of them ... not your fault... It's called life....but with lipos you have to know how to take care of them, literally baby them. So i want to ask a few things... When flying u would land around nominal voltage? A good landing voltage is 3.70v per cell so 20 to 25% ? Never taking them repeatedly down to 5%? When you were not flying, and there is a good amount of time between flights, You didn't leave battery's fully charged? Especially anywhere hot? (Garage etc) for long periods of time? Finally when u were not flying did u have the battery's at a storage charge? for long periods of storage this is crucial. So meaning did u store your battery's around 40 to 50 %? Also periodically checking on them? because batterys tend to lose some charge as the days go on (remember i said u had to baby them) I'm not asking u this to bust your balls or pick on u.... But unless u did all these practices then yes it is totally your fault. I have 3 batteries from 9/18 batch batt1 has 107 flights, batt2 98, batt3 104.... No signs of swelling and while in flight voltage does not sag ( u can tap battery icon and watch the 4 cells in flight) and all cells never deviate in each of the 3......i just find it hard to believe all of your battery's with that low # of flight counts are swelling like this..... I could understand if u had a 100 flights on each.... Sorry dude had to be neglect or not knowing how to take care of lipos....and yes before you ask i am the lipo whisperer....jk ...but not really lol i have a lot of experience with lipos from my 3d heli background 15+ years of flying and beating on 14s stick packs 12s packs, 6s lipos 4s 3s, the list goes on.... This is why i tell the other guys here if you guys need help with lipo knowledge just let me know...anyway this was just too educate u, u really have to sit back and ask yourself if you followed all those steps.....good luck with dji buddy

Reactions: ff22
I'm curious. How would DJI be able to effectively tell the difference between a defective battery and one that was not cared for properly?
Too many failures and mostly from the first run of batteries. Also reports from folks who have had and run earlier DJI drones with batteries still working after years - those folks suddenly decide to mistreat the M2 batteries? I think not.

They create magical flying drones, I'm sure that they have ways of testing the batteries.

But like some leaders, I'm going by my gut! (g)

Your batteries must be swelled up, dispose of them and get new ones. Make sure you let them cool down before charging them, and store them at 50 to60% (although they will discharge to this level on their own). Definitely, don't use them like that.
Again, I believe that the batteries have an internal mechanism that prevents recharging when too warm/hot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007