DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Searching and Rescuing a Mavic Mini with ANOTHER Mavic Mini

m80116

Reactions
Hello, it's me... another Mavic Mini litterer of the world. If you don't know my story you might want to have a look here:

Now... having got another Mavic Mini from DJI as a replacement unit, entirely paid by myself since I've shelled out about 300 EUR for just the drone+batt., I still don't feel defeated enough to give in. And I am still quite convinced my MM is still atop a roof almost unnoticed by everybody, the area where I lost is definitely more roof dense than not.

I plan on searching my lost Mavic Mini from above with my other replacement Mavic Mini. I still consider the other (the lost one) my very own Mavic Mini and this the spare unit, should I be even able to find it again. Then since were I lost my 1st Mavic Mini isn't exactly the most drone friendly airspace, I plan on piloting my unit almost directly above me and take a look at the most possible roofs I can survey while not losing LoS and direct visual contact identification of the drone. The streets will be narrow between houses and I'll have a narrow angle of operation LoS.

Since what happened at the beginning of the last incident was at first signal related I don't feel comfortable piloting my drone for longer distances than directly adjacent to the houses I want to inspect the roofs of. I will be in an almost 100% or possibly 100% full 2.4 GHz spectrum, therefore I need to be capable to be the strongest signal in the area for at least one channel, and with a 5.8 GHz band almost or completely empty (from ground).

If you have any advice on how to search for a drone under these circumstances I'd like to know. I am not comfortable leaving the Frequency on AUTO but I'd be even more scared about picking just one. Anyway before I will get myself into this kind of deed I still need to break in my new unit, gain some confidence with it, and make some tests about channels and range. I am concerned forwarding a bit too much past LoS, beyond the roof edge or even get interference and not being able to switch channel and regain control. I need to acquire more knowledge of the system, train more and do more tests.

I don't exclude that should I ever find my Mavic Mini I won't try to salvage it with my other Mavic Mini. I'll try to access the roof or whatever part my lost Mini has landed in with ground access, but should I not be able to access with conventional methods, I'll think up a recovery plan and train to execute it, naturally after verifying it is indeed possible to lift so much weight with a Mavic Mini, but at my altitude and under the best circumstances it might be possible... and not necessarily I need to freight, a simple tug might do, or I might even send a fishing line around the stranded Mini with my other Mini and then try to manually recover going around something (acting like a pulley).

I still need to think about the way... but I am not giving up. I want my ORIGINAL Mavic Mini back. I loved it! :(

Good luck glad you have come to terms with the loss of your MM. I would leave on auto to be honest. If the channel you pick gets busy you are in more trouble.

Also do satellite images of where you think it is. I will also say there was that opening by the high building might be your best place to have LOS and keep connection at the best.

were I lost my 1st Mavic Mini isn't exactly the most drone friendly airspace, I plan on piloting my unit almost directly above me and take a look at the most possible roofs I can survey while not losing LoS and direct visual contact identification of the drone. The streets will be narrow between houses and I'll have a narrow angle of operation LoS.
It you are planning to search rooftops from narrow streets like this, that sounds like you will have more problems than you imagine.
_DSC9205aa-XL.jpg

Best bet is to find a way to get up on a roof and launch from there if there is isn't any other launch site that is higher than the surrounding buildings. Obviously, a flat roof would be best! GPS is going to be a problem in the "canyons" between buildings. Best of Luck with your quest! I love your can-do attitude! Chao!

The safest way is to drop into an area from the top and gradually lower to see and don't back up.

m80116 you have been a significant contributor since you lost your bird. You have chimed in on several posts to help others learn from your experience and we ALL should be so helpful.

Gindra and AntDX316 are correct. Starting higher up is the best bet. I'd even suggest linking up with someone with a M2P or M2Z with occusync for a more stable connection.

If I were you . . . I'd be searching for my original bird too. God's speed my friend.

Thank you guys, your moral support is appreciated.

Unfortunately the only suitable high rise access I managed was atop a skyscraper but I can't access it anymore unless I... mumble... ahem... declare another emergency.

I wish I could show you a Mavic Mini after it's been outside night and day for several weeks, and see if it still works.

m80116 you have been a significant contributor since you lost your bird. You have chimed in on several posts to help others learn from your experience and we ALL should be so helpful.

Gindra and AntDX316 are correct. Starting higher up is the best bet. I'd even suggest linking up with someone with a M2P or M2Z with occusync for a more stable connection.

If I were you . . . I'd be searching for my original bird too. God's speed my friend.
I mean, if you don't have some kind of free warranty replacement, I'd leave it. The weather and other things would make it worse even if it did fly. It was defective to start with.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
My flights have been absolutely puny... independent of my will I've been late from optimal post meridian time, streets started to get crowded, sun was past optimal azimuth, I stayed just hovering above me, antennas leveled, heavy winds warning in S, ready to bring it down as fast as possible. Gusts of 26 m/s at 50m.

But I've found an interesting artifact. It will probably reveal as such in the next days (in 4 days I will have a more up close survey of the same part of the roof). It's just on the other side of the roof from where I lost contact, and the only side I've never been able to verify both from the skyscraper and from roof access because it always remained quite hidden and level with my view atop.

Found a couple of other artifacts but from experience I am pretty sure the chances of those being the MM are pretty much nil.

Attachments

• DJI_0013_mm01.jpg
    DJI_0013_mm01.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: AntDX316
My flights have been absolutely puny... independent of my will I've been late from optimal post meridian time, streets started to get crowded, sun was past optimal azimuth, I stayed just hovering above me, antennas leveled, heavy winds warning in S, ready to bring it down as fast as possible. Gusts of 26 m/s at 50m.

But I've found an interesting artifact. It will probably reveal as such in the next days (in 4 days I will have a more up close survey of the same part of the roof). It's just on the other side of the roof from where I lost contact, and the only side I've never been able to verify both from the skyscraper and from roof access because it always remained quite hidden and level with my view atop.

Found a couple of other artifacts but from experience I am pretty sure the chances of those being the MM are pretty much nil.

That definitely looks like the mini. Why don't you just stand next to the building and fly closer?

You are insane for not giving up. What is the point of even recovering the body, burial?

I suggest you take pictures of the rooftops with the highest resolution possible then enlarge them on a computer for the actual search. Include enough surrounding detail to you can tell which rooftop belongs to which building.

Good Luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan