DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Selling Drone Photos/Footage on Stock Websites

gokhunguneyhan

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I searched for similar threads but couldn't find an exact case. The only one I saw was this comment, but I just wanted to be sure.

So, I live in the UK, and as a hobbyist, I haven't registered my drone and don't have a license. I know you'll need a license if you want to fly for commercial purposes, but does that only apply to people who are being specifically for a particular shoot? Should I still get a licence to put my photos on a stock site (i.e. Getty Images, Shutterstock)?

If yes, as someone living in the UK, if I'd fly in Italy and take an aerial photo of Colleseum, and sell it on Getty, which is a US company, which country's regulations would apply?

And as the final question, if I'd get a license today, will I be able to sell photos that I took in the past?

How do you just fly without checking local laws?
As long as I am not within 5 miles of an airport, I just fly. I have already checked my local regs and fly responsibly and have not had a problem. If I am going somewhere new, especially a tourist site, I check the regs for that site/area before I fly. They are normally posted online and are not hard to find. If in doubt I just keep it in the bag.

As long as I am not within 5 miles of an airport, I just fly. I have already checked my local regs and fly responsibly and have not had a problem. If I am going somewhere new, especially a tourist site, I check the regs for that site/area before I fly. They are normally posted online and are not hard to find. If in doubt I just keep it in the bag.

Obviously referring to the linked story.

Technically you can't sell your aerial photos or video clips unless you get the commercial license.
You might sneak the odd one in among other items but those who have paid out the considerable costs of getting their ticket are likely to get indignant.
The borderline cases will be where all you did was go up a little way to get a better viewpoint.
You might have stood on a bus, or had a ladder in your pocket.

The system is pretty stupid really and the bizarre thing is that commercial operators are subject to more restrictions than hobbyists.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000