DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting Homepoint

bjoernni

Reactions
I have a MA2, running DJI Fly on iPhoneX together with the controller.

When setting/changing the Homepoint, one can choose to use the drone’s actual position or the controller’s position. This is useful when you move away from the starting point.

To me, it seems that when using the drone’s actual position, the homepoint is set more accurate than when using the controller’s position. When using the latter choise, I presume the GPS position is delivered from the iPhone and then forwarded to the drone.

Anyone having the same experience?

Assuming the observations made when using the fly app and flying a mini are applicable.
I found that resetting to the homepoint to the controller's position to be not very accurate.
The landing point appeared to be maybe 4 or 5 m from the controller's position. The 'error ' was enough to put the drone at risk of hitting a fence so I aborted the RTH and landed using manual control. However it would have been accurate enough to bring the drone with in control range etc. etc. which maybe all that is absolutely necessary.
That said, bear in mind that I was setting the home point by 'touching' an icon on an interactive map and the accuracy of the point of contact must be borne in mind. (In this respect I think the method avaible in the Go and Go4 apps is better. There the option is a 'tick the appropriate box' type thing.)
Earlier trials were 'worse' but I think that was due to trying to place the homepoint, during those attempts, when not 'zoomed in' as much as possible to the map.
The one trial, of setting the home point to the drone's position, that I made seemed to get the drone in the correct area but as I set that homepoint when the drone was some distance from me it is impossible to say with certainty how accurately the homepoint was positioned and consequently how accurate the landing would have been ( I didn't want it to actually land so aborted the landing). Again the accuracy of the point of contact with the map must also be borne in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your experience is normal. I am not the expert, someone else will chime in. But when I use my phone for a gps point it gives an approximation. A rather large circle on the map of where I am. I think gps on phones are really just good enough to use for navigation but not designed to give reliable high resolution accuracy. And i'm doubtful the manufacturers would spend the $$ to create a super high accuracy gps device in a normal phone that does not need pinpoint accuracy...I know there are industry specific phones that do have better accuracy you can purchase.

The drone gps has a system that can provide higher accuracy. My experience. Again, not an expert.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN