DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting Waypoints while in air

Twocalf

Reactions
I've read that you can set waypoints while in the air by clicking on the C1 button and then later modify them (set elevation, camera action, etc.). By default my C1 button is set to center focus. I don't believe that setting waypoints is an available function for the C1/C2 buttons. I've generated waypoints in the "office", saved them and then flown the mission. So perhaps what I need to do is get the aircraft airborne and then enter Waypoints from the Intelligent Flight mode selections and then fly to each location and use the C1 button to record them. Is that correct?

Thanks, Mike

I've read that you can set waypoints while in the air by clicking on the C1 button and then later modify them (set elevation, camera action, etc.). By default my C1 button is set to center focus. I don't believe that setting waypoints is an available function for the C1/C2 buttons. I've generated waypoints in the "office", saved them and then flown the mission. So perhaps what I need to do is get the aircraft airborne and then enter Waypoints from the Intelligent Flight mode selections and then fly to each location and use the C1 button to record them. Is that correct?

Thanks, Mike

You got it. When in waypoints mode C1 button will change and you won’t be able to use center-autofocus on C1 anymore.

You can change center-autofocus to C2 our just tap on your screen.

brett8883,
Thanks for the confirmation. I should have just gone out and just tried it but now have the confidence to do it! My first waypoint mission nearly ended in disaster because the waypoints I designed in the office were drawn too close to a tree line and sure enough, the drone got snagged by a 75-foot Douglas Fir! Luckily the drone survived as did my pride in having to climb the tree to retrieve the drone!

Thanks,
Mike

It would be helpful to list what app your using for your WP missions?

I guess it would be the DJI GO 4 application. The distinction being it could have been some other third party app like Litchi?

Exactly. Lichti has huge benefits when it comes to Waypoint Missions.

Lichti has an Online Hub to design a waypoint mission. Then the ability to export that Mission to a CSV file and prefly it using a member created (Namirada) tool called VLM (Virtual Lichti Mission) within Google Earth.

This process could have prevented the flight into the tree.

All good info but in my case it was simply pilot/navigator error in being too cute in designing the waypoints of the mission. I wanted to fly close to a line of trees and then just clear the top of a specific tree. I believe I had also toggled on "arc" instead of "polyline" which threw my flight trajectory off from what I had intended. That episode taught me a very valuable lesson about boldness and more importantly, stupidity.

I plan on setting up a test course of waypoints well away from obstructions to observe arc and polyline waypoint flight behavior more closely.

Reactions: BD0G
For WP missions over trees, especially in dense forestswhere sight lines and depth perception become more difficult I try to stay at least 30' above trees. GPS accuracy on elevation is not as precise as horizontal.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaggyC