DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy an iPad with cellular to fly my Mavic Air 2?

No you don't need cellular. Not to confuse the issue but if you want to use an app such as Foreflight you do need cellular and most sales people don't understand that.

Not to confuse the issue but if you want to use an app such as Foreflight you do need cellular

Not according to the ForeFlight website:

Under Choose Your Connectivity - "The Wi-Fi only models can be paired with an external GPS like the Bad Elf Pro to provide location fixes in flight. Other options include Sentry which provides GPS positioning as well as in-flight weather and traffic via ADS-B."

No, you do NOT need to have cellular on your iPad. I fly with an iPad Mini 5, however, I DO Bluetooth my Samsung Note 8 to the iPad. For me, it’s easier. I also have an RP-PB41, Amazon.com: Portable Charger RAVPower 26800mAh Power Bank Battery Pack Total 5.5A Output External Battery 3 Ports Portable Phone Charger Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max SE iPad Samsung Galaxy S20 Note10 (Black): Electronics, with necessary cable should power drain become an issue. It doesn’t, but great to have. Got that mostly for my GoPro Hero8. Every now and then, I mount the Hero8 on the Mavic Air for B-roll, Amazon.com: Sports Camera Extended Adapter Mount Bracket Holder 1/4 Screw for insta360 Action GoPro Series for DJI Mavic AIR 2 Drone: Electronics. Nice little add-on, especially for the Litchi flights.

Don't you need GPS to use the "find my drone" feature :rolleyes:

Again the GPS is used in the GPS that is in the drone proper...only makes sense...how can you track location of something that isn't tracked...therefore the GPS unit in the drone is what relayed back to the controller/App your drones location, or better yet...last known position.;) But in the "Find My Drone"function...your device that you are using would indeed need GPS as well as to show your location in reference to the downed drone location had you not know the area and to pinpoint as you got closer, but not necessarily "needed". :)

Last edited:
I have a Ipad 4 mini and I use the hotspot feature on my cell to get WI-FI and pull maps

I use my iPad Air hotspotted to my iPhone. I always take the connection out of Low Data Mode. That works well.

Because ADS-B on the MA2 does not provide the altitude of an approaching airplane, I also run FlightRadar24 on the iPhone so that I can get the altitude without disturbing the DJI Fly app on the iPad.

I am finding that carrying an iPad is a pain on top of all the gear I already carry. Nice size phone (Plus size) works great when you get conformable. iPads are not cheap. I would use a dedicated phone. I do not use my personal phone for Drones.

I use my iPad Air hotspotted to my iPhone. I always take the connection out of Low Data Mode. That works well.

Because ADS-B on the MA2 does not provide the altitude of an approaching airplane, I also run FlightRadar24 on the iPhone so that I can get the altitude without disturbing the DJI Fly app on the iPad.
Good point about the phone as hotspot. I was gonna say you can't do updates in the field without cellular. If you don't have hotspot availability as part of your provider plan, you should add it (it may add $20/mo.). I still believe you should buy a tablet with cellular for the convenience and reliability.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78