DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I go for the Mavic 2 Pro?

RedSoxFan42

Reactions
Currently have a Mavic Air and I am totally satisfied with this technical marvel. I am however, considering trading up to the Mavic 2 Pro. I am a serious hobbyist photographer and just feel the better camera and camera adjustment capability on the M2P is what I really want. My concern is the number of post submitted talking about all the faults and crashes. Is the M2P as good as it is advertised? I really can't afford to spend the extra money to get a drone that is not dependable. Comments and suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

The Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom is a completely different experience in Flying. You won’t have to worry about connection issues since it’s not WiFi.
You’re going to hear about issues with anything on the Internet.
You won’t regret it, especially if you’re going for the photography aspect.
I have the Pro, a Zoom camera, Remote Controller, and Smart Controller.
Now we have ability to connect both controllers and have a Co-pilot.
Jump on the Train and don’t look back! [emoji106]

Last edited:
You won’t have to worry about connection issues since it’s not WiFi.

^ this is a big plus.
Besides the obvious camera upgrade and settings flexibility as mentioned by the OP, the difference I've seen with connection on my MP compared to my Spark and brother in laws Air, makes the M2P a great way to go.

^ this is a big plus.
Besides the obvious camera upgrade and settings flexibility as mentioned by the OP, the difference I've seen with connection on my MP compared to my Spark and brother in laws Air, makes the M2P a great way to go.
Yes, The M2P is a Beast! Amazing tech!:)

My concern is the number of post submitted talking about all the faults and crashes.

In my opinion you should not be concerned at all. Reading about all the issues on this forum can give you a very distorted view of reality. For every person that posts with a problem there are literally hundreds to thousands of folks with no problems of any kind. And then add to that that the huge majority of problems or crashes are ultimately determined to be the pilots fault. The Mavic 2 Pro is a very reliable, quality product that is amazing. If you can afford it I strongly recommend that you buy it. You will love it.

I really like my M2P. IT is a blast to fly and the camera is pretty darn good.
As for the "faults and crashes" - if every M2P or M2Z owner posted every single positive flight they had you would not be able to find the post containing issues because of all of the positive ones. Sure, there is the occasional problem like a Flight Controller (FC) rebooting or battery failing. A vast majority seem to be human error (things like not making sure the compass is initialized correctly before takeoff, not properly installing the battery, fly in wind conditions that the M2P can't overcome, and taking off without proper GPS signals). All of these are very easy to do, just do not get rushed to get it in the air.

Bottom line- I would buy one again. Have fun.

I had the Air and an M2P. I had to sell the Air as needed to release some funds - the M2 is a lot more capable and the camera in particular (if you know what you’re doing) is a big step up.

The Air is huge fun though and had I not needed the cash I wouldn’t have sold it.

As for issues. I’ve had none with the Air or the M2 but then I can read instructions and do basic things like waiting for a gps lock before taking off and stuff.

Seriously - look through any ‘I’ve lost/crashed my drone’ and 99% of the time it’s user error.

I have the Air and the M2P - they compliment each other nicely because of how much smaller/lighter the Air is. If you're into stills photography especially, the M2Pro is night and day better. A huge bonus is you can use it with the Smart Controller, which in my personal opinion is far superior than dealing with a phone/tablet each time, and it's a steal if bought as a bundle with the M2P.

You say you're a serious hobbyist photographer which probably means you're familiar with the popular Sony RX100 and RX10 series. The M2P uses a variant of that exact same sensor, to give you an idea of image quality.

Also don't focus on the crash threads, not only do they represent an extreme minority, but 99% of the time it ends up being pilot error, meaning they would have probably crashed regardless of the drone.

My concern is the number of post submitted talking about all the faults and crashes. Is the M2P as good as it is advertised?
I own both the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro. They are both great drones and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a quality drone.

You're likely seeing more faults/crashes for the Mavic 2 since it's DJI's newest Mavic model and that's what many people are buying these days. I don't think it's any less dependable than the Mavic Air or any of the other Mavic models.

I had the Mavic Pro and sold it to buy the Mavic 2 Pro. I had 2 disconnects for no know reason but managed to reconnect with no problem. Have had the 2 since last year and it is definitely worth it as a photographer. What cR DO YOU OWN, GO AND FIND A FORUM FOR THAT AND SEE HOW MANY PROBLEMS PEOPLE ON THERE HAVE HAD WITH THEIR SAME CARS. aRE YOU NOW GOING TO SELL THAT CAR BECAUSE OF WHAT OTHERS HAVE REPORTED AS PROBLEMS? Bloody caps lock, can't be bother to go back and correct, sorry.

Just do it, buy it fly it and enjoy it. Don't be silly, fly with care and we will never hear from you with a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerMav
You might want to check out Matt WhoisMatt Johnson's channel on YouTube (mentioned to me by another forum member in another thread) and the detailed video he does on the M2P. Quite comprehensive however you'll probably want to buy after seeing it!

I still love myself with the thing i take the decision to upgrade from my Sparkie to a Mavic 2 Zoom. It is still one of the best drone-related choices i ever made. Great to fly with the Zoom! (i am sure the PRO is even great)

I have the Mavic 2 Zoom and love it.
I use an iPhone 7+ and have never had an issue (apart from screen dimming when phone gets too hot - but it’s hot here in Thailand).
I did try flying with my Samsung Galaxy Core, a much much cheaper phone and did have rebooting and disconnecting issues.
The cheap Samsung just was not up to the job.
So ensure your phone is capable..

Looking forward to seeing your Videos.

Check out mine on my YouTube channel - MrSmileyGC.

Cheers

I returned my Air today and upgraded to the Mavic Pro 2. I only had a couple of days left to return the Air and after only 30 days using it I knew in 2 months I’d be kicking myself for settling. My main issues were connection and flight time.

I really like my M2P. IT is a blast to fly and the camera is pretty darn good.
As for the "faults and crashes" - if every M2P or M2Z owner posted every single positive flight they had you would not be able to find the post containing issues because of all of the positive ones. Sure, there is the occasional problem like a Flight Controller (FC) rebooting or battery failing. A vast majority seem to be human error (things like not making sure the compass is initialized correctly before takeoff, not properly installing the battery, fly in wind conditions that the M2P can't overcome, and taking off without proper GPS signals). All of these are very easy to do, just do not get rushed to get it in the air.

Bottom line- I would buy one again. Have fun.
Exactly, right on ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329