DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I pursue a FAA Part 107?

JayTea26

Reactions
I have only began flying the Mavic Air 2 recently. I really like it and want to make it into a serious hobby.
Question: Because I have time on my hands is there any good reason to study and take the test? In other words, is there some kind of side-by- side chart somewhere that compares what you can and can not do?

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
If you intend to fly it for commercial proposes when you take off, you need a Part 107. If you intend to fly for hobby and fun only, you’re good as long as you’re registered- If it weighs over .55 lbs.

If you take off for fun and happen to capture something on video and that turns into something used for the news or what not, that’s fine without 107 because you were taking off as a hobbyist, but if you intend to survey, shoot real estate listings, etc, you will need a part 107 or be in the supervision of someone with one.

I have only began flying the Mavic Air 2 recently. I really like it and want to make it into a serious hobby.
Question: Because I have time on my hands is there any good reason to study and take the test? In other words, is there some kind of side-by- side chart somewhere that compares what you can and can not do?
Recreational
Fly recreationally only

Can fly at night without a waiver

Can fly over people without a waiver as long as it doesn’t “endanger people or property.” https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57B.pdf

Can fly in any weather as long as it doesn’t qualify as “reckless.”

Part 107
Can fly non-Recreationally including for hire

Can get LAANC authorizations for altitudes higher than what’s on the facilities chart in controlled airspace

Can apply for waivers(exemptions) from the rules

Last edited:
I’d recommend getting it. It teaches you so much, I feel better now having completed the course- I’m going to take the test next week.

I chose Pilots Institute. Would recommend. Get the bundle with the maneuvers course and take the maneuvers course after passing the 107- there is a lot of 107 info, so get that down then go back and learn all of the pro man’s. Like I said, you’ll know many of them, but it’s always good to have, plus you get lifetime access so updates to regulations and your re-qual’s every 24 months are there for you to brush up on. You have access to great instructors if you have questions.

Last edited:
If you intend to fly it for commercial proposes when you take off, you need a Part 107. If you intend to fly for hobby and fun only, you’re good as long as you’re registered- If it weighs over .55 lbs.

If you take off for fun and happen to capture something on video and that turns into something used for the news or what not, that’s fine without 107 because you were taking off as a hobbyist, but if you intend to survey, shoot real estate listings, etc, you will need a part 107 or be in the supervision of someone with one.
Best explanation I ever heard. Thank you.

I’d recommend getting it. It teaches you so much, I feel better now having completed the course- I’m going to take the test next week.

I chose Pilots Institute. Would recommend. Get the bundle with the maneuvers corse and take the maneuvers course after passing the 107- there is a lot of 107 info, so get that down then go back and learn all of the pro man’s. Like I said, you’ll know many of them, but it’s always good to have, plus you get lifetime access so updates to regulations and your re-qual’s every 24 months are there for you to brush up on. You have access to great instructors if you have questions.
I quest that’s what I was thinking. Even thought I don’t need it to obey a law, I might learn something about drone flying.

I was already a commercial fixed wing pilot (retired) when I got into UAV's, so the process was fairly simple for me to get the 107 rating. I've done a bit of real estate and a few other commercial gigs, so yeah, why not open up the opportunity to make a buck once and awhile doing something that it is fun and that you enjoy. The industry is still very young too, so who knows where it could go..

Getting Part 107 is kind of a bucket list thing for me as well. I don't plan to pursue professionally but, one never knows. I do have a couple potential ways of making a few bucks with it so, I'd like to have it out of the way should decide to pull the trigger. In the little bit of research I have done, a course does sound almost mandatory since there is a lot of aviation knowledge required you're not going to pick up just dealing with drones.

When flying I wear a yellow vest proclaiming FAA Certified Drone Pilot. In the vest pocket is a copy of my FAA 107 license. To date I've only had one public encounter. On the Oregon Coast it is legal in most places to fly. A crowd of 7 or 8 gathered around to watch as I photographed the coastline.

When about to bring Mavis (Mavic 2 Pro) home, I asked the father of a boy about 10, if it was okay to let his intrigued son take the controls. With Mavis about 100 meters away and 30 meters high over the ocean, the boy followed directions for each movement of left and right stick on SC. Then had him turn Mavis towards us and directed him to gently push right stick forward and left stick back towards himself the goal being to bring Mavis a few feet in front of us and a few feet higher than head. Boy executed perfectly and after hovering he used full left stick back for perfect landing.

Crowd clapped, cheered and smiled. At least father smiled until he asked for the cost. He walked away mumbling something about not getting custom tail pipes for his Hog (Harley).

This incident was rewarding. My wife reminded me how as a teacher, parent and grand parent I always, as long as it was safe, let people learn by doing.

Technically you can do more flying recreationally - except get paid for a mission.
Having said that you will never regret getting your part 107. And you can still fly recreationally.
You will learn something about Aviation and understand the laws you do need to follow regardless of your mission type.

Registering as a recreational pilot you need not register each aircraft, but under Part 107 don’t you need to register each aircraft individually?
If so, I can see that as a down side if you have a large fleet.

Registering as a recreational pilot you need not register each aircraft, but under Part 107 don’t you need to register each aircraft individually?
If so, I can see that as a down side if you have a large fleet.
FWIW Just because you have a 107 does. not mean you must register all your drones that way.
Only if you use the drone for paid missions.

I'm not Part 107, however I have a friend who is an aviation college professor and is on a consortium/study with the government as well as several other entities. I just spoke with her a couple of weeks ago and asked her about getting my Part 107 even though I have no intentions of making any money from my flying. She stated that she highly recommends getting it now rather than later because of some possible changes coming down the road. She wasn't at liberty to elaborate so take that for what it's worth. We both worked in air traffic control and have some insider information as far as the FAA goes, so if I should happen to hear anything else I'll be sure to post something.

Reactions: Gindra
I’m also looking to pursue my Part 107. I have the time and I believe in learning everything I can about something I’m doing; especially when it comes to flying little birds in the sky ?. Pilot institute is also one of the schools I’m looking at. I did post a topic last week about different school recommendations but I never did really hear much back.

I recently passed the test after using Gold Seal Ground School (whom I highly recommend) for instruction. There is some really useful information that you learn and it was fun. If a neighbor asks me to video their roof for broken tiles for a case of beer, no problem. If you study well, the test is not that hard.

I have my 107. Don't use it for paying jobs but I have used it to help inspect some of my own construction job sites. That alone requires the 107.

However, I am a huge fan of getting the schooling and learning about airspace and such. Now, when flying my drone, I feel integrated into National Airspace. Like I belong there!

And finally, being an old dude myself, it is always nice to find out that the brain cells are still viable, at least enough to learn a little and pass a test :)

My only hope with the future of 107 is that some kind of flying competency test gets included. It's nice to know the rules, it's a whole other matter to know how to actually fly safely!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Mac
Recreational
Fly recreationally only

Can fly at night without a waiver

Can fly over people without a waiver as long as it doesn’t “endanger people or property.” https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57B.pdf

Can fly in any weather as long as it doesn’t qualify as “reckless.”

Part 107
Can fly non-Recreationally including for hire

Can get LAANC authorizations for altitudes higher than what’s on the facilities chart in controlled airspace

Can apply for waivers(exemptions) from the rules
I’ve tried numerous times in the past to obtain LAANC approval, via AIRMAP, for 100’ in Class C: NO GO! Resubmit requesting 75’, APPROVED. I live between the 75/50 foot grids.

I’ve tried numerous times in the past to obtain LAANC approval, via AIRMAP, for 100’ in Class C: NO GO! Resubmit requesting 75’, APPROVED. I live between the 75/50 foot grids.
Use KittyHawk.

KittyHawk looks you up by your AirMan certificate and so when you submit a request for further coordination (manual approval) the FAA see who you are and who they are actually dealing with and I just got approval for 200’ in a zero grid the other day. I submitted on Sunday and it was approved first thing Monday morning at LAS which is pretty congested airspace granted I was out of the runway approach.

It will depend on the tower and the mission how quickly it gets approved but I’ve had better luck with KittyHawk.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh