DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I update app and firmware?

mattitech07

Reactions
Hi, I haven't used my MA2 in over a month now and I found myself with new dji fly updates (I stayed on 1.4.8 to be safe) and a drone firmware update. I don't know if I should update, because I've heard a lot of people saying that the new dji fly versions are unstable. So, should I update app and firmware? Should i only update the firmware (or the app)?

Hi, I haven't used my MA2 in over a month now and I found myself with new dji fly updates (I stayed on 1.4.8 to be safe) and a drone firmware update. I don't know if I should update, because I've heard a lot of people saying that the new dji fly versions are unstable. So, should I update app and firmware? Should i only update the firmware (or the app)?
I have had my MA2 for a little over a year now,and just in the last few weeks upgraded to the current 1.5.0,then
with my three fully charged batteries took it out to my back yard and gave it a good once over.
No problems at all with anything.I am running a tripltek tablet which is android based.
I updated all the firmware as well ,all good so far.

I consider Fly App in Versions 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 as safe from my personal experiences. Other 1.4.x versions had issues on my device. Frozen telemetry or frozen image feed during recording with Mini 2 in 4K 30fps for example. 1.5.1 I am not able to test yet after I currently don't have an image at all in any version due to the already well-known Samsung S21 Ultra Android 12 issue.

Drone firmware update is more an insurance topic than enabling new features in the already quite mature MA2 drone. I know that some insurances only pay in case of damages if the firmware was up-to-date.

As mentioned several times by many folks.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Research and decide.

I'd go with firmware for sure along with database. If 1.4.8 works for you - stick with it. The 1.5.x versions are hogs and may require a screen update (newer phone / tablet) as well if your current phone / tablet is somewhat older.

The 1.5.x updates seem to be more for the M3, but a couple of the new things are better for the Air2 series too. I've not noticed any major weird anomalies with 1.5.x, but there have been several FlyApp updates for 1.5.x recently - which typically does not happen, but more so for the M3 crowd than the Air2 crowd.

I consider Fly App in Versions 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 as safe from my personal experiences. Other 1.4.x versions had issues on my device. Frozen telemetry or frozen image feed during recording with Mini 2 in 4K 30fps for example. 1.5.1 I am not able to test yet after I currently don't have an image at all in any version due to the already well-known Samsung S21 Ultra Android 12 issue.

Drone firmware update is more an insurance topic than enabling new features in the already quite mature MA2 drone. I know that some insurances only pay in case of damages if the firmware was up-to-date.
the latest 1.5.1 (2025) version fixed the S21 black screen and the Pixel 6 problem

I tend to keep my MA2 and MM2 updated, I haven't had any issues with the latest updates on either ac. I'm using an android device as well as the smart controller.

Reactions: Howard70
I'm using the mavic air 2 with the latest firmware, flysafe database and DJI Fly 1.5.1.
No issues for now, safe to update I would consider.

Reactions: Howard70
I'd go with firmware for sure along with database. If 1.4.8 works for you - stick with it. The 1.5.x versions are hogs and may require a screen update (newer phone / tablet) as well if your current phone / tablet is somewhat older.

The 1.5.x updates seem to be more for the M3, but a couple of the new things are better for the Air2 series too. I've not noticed any major weird anomalies with 1.5.x, but there have been several FlyApp updates for 1.5.x recently - which typically does not happen, but more so for the M3 crowd than the Air2 crowd.
1.4.8 works ok for me but I have got some little issues with it , sometimes the screen freezes and i have to reload the app and flight logs take a long time to show up on the app. So i would like to not nave those issues.

1.4.8 was buggy for me. Live feed always froze with the Mini 2 when start recording videos at 4K30. Kept 1.4.0 as last working version until I was forced to upgrade to 1.5.1 due to black screen issue with Android 12

I have DroneHacks so I've left my firmware at 01.01.0610. As for the Fly app, someone posted that 1.5.0 works with it and Litchi so I will try that next. 1.4.8 also worked fine with everything.
Edit: Looked it up on DH and they say "Latest known compatible DJI fly version 1.5.1"

Last edited:
I tested the DJI Fly 1.5.4, no issues for now!!

I updated to 1.5.4 today and for some reason I can no longer get all 4 option panels when I hit the photo setting button on screen. It used to offer different mps and 4k vs. 2,7 but are now gone. I also do not have the zoom button. Is this a controller issue or FW issue? Any ideas greatly appreciated

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan