DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shout out to all "Professional" Mavic users

So nice to get this kind of shout out! I am a Canadian living in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have been flying collective pitch helis and drones for eight years now. I am currently taking the Transport Canada recognized Unmanned Aerial Systems course at BCIT, which will educate and qualify me to fly commercially with a special flight operators certificate. I currently own two FPV equipped Inspire 1's, and a Mavic Pro. I have been developing my preflight safety checklist with these birds on the ground, and have yet to put them in the air. I feel it's my responsibility as a UAS pilot to be completely familiar with all aspects of the system BEFORE taking to the sky. It seems as though 99% of the owners of theses Mavics/Inspires etc., are unfamiliar with their aircrafts. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done in educating would be first time UAS purchasers. Please let me know your thoughts:)
I'd be interested in your thoughts about the course when you are done. I didn't think that Transport Canada recognized any UAV courses as of yet, even though it looks like it will be a requirement for a SFOC in the future.

I am based in Columbus, Ohio, and have my 107 certificate. I fly for a large video production company and have been using the Inspire with X5. I have been super-pleased with this rig, but just purchased the Mavic for these reasons:

1- For backup...I really needed to have another craft available on any given shoot...I really don't want to be in the position to tell a client I can't fly/shoot at a location because my drone is having issues.

2-So I can now travel on airlines without a huge hassle...flying with the larger Inspire and batteries has proven to be a nightmare for me. The Mavic batteries are not a problem with airlines. Everything fits in a small camera bag that I can put in the overhead.

3-So I can fly more confidently in interior spaces. The Mavic is much better suited to do this vs. my Inspire.

Also, I just got my Mavic...did some quick video test shots outside, and was really pleased with the quality of the images...the video looked crisp...was not getting all the crappy aliasing that I was getting with the InspireX3 camera or the horrible Phantom Vision Plus.

I am really pleased with the way the Mavic handles and the overall engineering...I can't wait to get leaves back on the trees this spring!

If anyone is interested, this is a link to my reel...using Inspire X5 and OSMO with the X3. The Mavic will be a huge plus for me.

I am taking my 107 test next week and have a Mavic on the way. The Mavic will be my first "real" drone. I am interested in getting into whatever commercial opportunites I can find.
Looking for any suggestions and ideas, I will be sharing my experiences and challenges.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Ok. Besides the 107 certificate, I hold an ATP, CFIMEI and numerous type ratings.

Went for the UAS license because it's relatively easy for a current pilot, and I'd like to be able to commercialize my activities.

Initially had thought of applying for a 333 exemption, but decided to hold off.

As has been pointed out, as a certificate holder, there's a lot more to lose if you get the Feds angry at you!

Besides the Mavic I'm running a 3DR Iris+ and Solo as well.

The biggest issue for me is the need for permission to fly in class D airspace. Just about any commercial activity I've looked at conflicts with Lancaster airport's class D airspace. Seems a little unfair that a hobbyist can simply call the tower while certified operators have to wait on an approval from the FAA. Also, since my primary commercial operations will be below 150 ft, seems a waste of time to fill out the web form as if a plane was that low over the residential areas I'm intending to work in the plane has a lot more problems than my drone.

That all said, let's see if the FAA approves my airspace request.

Anyone in Lancaster PA area feel free to contact me.

I'm in Newport Beach. 107 certified (333 exemption as well but not a licensed pilot - got the exemption in anticipation of it being a requirement before they came up with 107). Operate a Phantom 3 pro and the Mavic as backup. Trying to concentrate on the mapping aspect of it for my main commercial business as I am a Geomatics Engineer and Hydrographer. But offering all other services as well. Have done some real rstate shots, was the pilot on a small BMX documentary at Oakley HQ, and recently did a mapping project over shallow water to identify sea grass habitats.

Biggest pain points for me: (1) getting clients (2) Lots of pop up outfits without licenses or certification selling drone services for next to nothing (3) insurance (though Verifly is easing that pain)

I am taking my test for 107 certification soon. I wanted you guys opinion on something. Do you all think the police will start operating Mavics in place of helicopters? Also do you think DJI will work with law enforcement to make specialized versions of it? I was just thinking that rural areas could provide themselves air support with a little bit of training if every patrol car had one of these babies in it. It might be just the thing they need to fight this Heroin and Meth epidemic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: John A.
I am taking my test for 107 certification soon. I wanted you guys opinion on something. Do you all think the police will start operating Mavics in place of helicopters? Also do you think DJI will work with law enforcement to make specialized versions of it? I was just thinking that rural areas could provide themselves air support with a little bit of training if every patrol car had one of these babies in it. It might be just the thing they need to fight this Heroin and Meth epidemic.

I'm sure that's going to implemented for police. Autel just announced an infrared camera option from flir. I would think grabbing a drone would be faster and more cost effective than dispatching a helicopter to search for someone or use for surveilance. And I would pretty much guarantee a few officers would be trained vs having one in every patrol car.

Hello everyone,
I am part 107 certified, but have not yet used the Mavic (or any drone at that) commercially. If I read the regulations correctly, you can not fly the drone over any people unless they are part of your ground crew. Does this then preclude photographing events like concerts, street fairs etc. (unless of course you are far enough away that you are not over any people)? Just curious to see if I am reading this correctly.

I'm sure that's going to implemented for police. Autel just announced an infrared camera option from flir. I would think grabbing a drone would be faster and more cost effective than dispatching a helicopter to search for someone or use for surveilance. And I would pretty much guarantee a few officers would be trained vs having one in every patrol car.

They could have special trained scouts but Mavic is so easy to fly and cost effective. Why not have one in every patrol car? Do you how much they spend on radio tech? Tech is moving very fast right now. They will be waterproof and even better battery and distance soon. The competition is just starting to heat up. I could see a highly trained pair or trio of mavic operators as a very effective surveillance unit.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just got my Part 107 because I have friends who are real estate agents and it'll help them sell houses better. I have a main job and the aerial video work will be more to subsidize my drone collection and be able to get newer cooler drones as they come out.

Reactions: Texasknowhow
I am taking my 107 test next week and have a Mavic on the way. The Mavic will be my first "real" drone. I am interested in getting into whatever commercial opportunites I can find.
Looking for any suggestions and ideas, I will be sharing my experiences and challenges.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app
Awesome, good luck with your 107! I hear that there is a 90+ percent pass rate so no worries.

Hello everyone,
I am part 107 certified, but have not yet used the Mavic (or any drone at that) commercially. If I read the regulations correctly, you can not fly the drone over any people unless they are part of your ground crew. Does this then preclude photographing events like concerts, street fairs etc. (unless of course you are far enough away that you are not over any people)? Just curious to see if I am reading this correctly.
Yes, you are reading that right. For things like that, stay off to the side, or over a building or parking lot, at an angle and you'll be okay if things go south.

Good luck with your 107. You'll do fine, and once certified, you could be a PIC for one of those agencies!

I'm in Newport Beach. 107 certified (333 exemption as well but not a licensed pilot - got the exemption in anticipation of it being a requirement before they came up with 107). Operate a Phantom 3 pro and the Mavic as backup. Trying to concentrate on the mapping aspect of it for my main commercial business as I am a Geomatics Engineer and Hydrographer. But offering all other services as well. Have done some real rstate shots, was the pilot on a small BMX documentary at Oakley HQ, and recently did a mapping project over shallow water to identify sea grass habitats.

Biggest pain points for me: (1) getting clients (2) Lots of pop up outfits without licenses or certification selling drone services for next to nothing (3) insurance (though Verifly is easing that pain)
Hate to say it, but for number (2) these guys are going to have to be reported and the industry will need to start requiring certification before hiring. The FAA needs to do their part after making us do our part.

Ok. Besides the 107 certificate, I hold an ATP, CFIMEI and numerous type ratings.

Went for the UAS license because it's relatively easy for a current pilot, and I'd like to be able to commercialize my activities.

Initially had thought of applying for a 333 exemption, but decided to hold off.

As has been pointed out, as a certificate holder, there's a lot more to lose if you get the Feds angry at you!

Besides the Mavic I'm running a 3DR Iris+ and Solo as well.

The biggest issue for me is the need for permission to fly in class D airspace. Just about any commercial activity I've looked at conflicts with Lancaster airport's class D airspace. Seems a little unfair that a hobbyist can simply call the tower while certified operators have to wait on an approval from the FAA. Also, since my primary commercial operations will be below 150 ft, seems a waste of time to fill out the web form as if a plane was that low over the residential areas I'm intending to work in the plane has a lot more problems than my drone.

That all said, let's see if the FAA approves my airspace request.

Anyone in Lancaster PA area feel free to contact me.
I'm totally in agreement with the ridiculous airspace authorization procedure at this point. I filed for and finally got (after a couple of months) one for a Florida east coast location, and could've had phone authorization for recreational flight in minutes. And it was more restrictive than I had requested. I understand they are working on that, but it is the government. Nuff said? And there is no other way to legally fly commercially anyway.

I'm totally in agreement with the ridiculous airspace authorization procedure at this point. I filed for and finally got (after a couple of months) one for a Florida east coast location, and could've had phone authorization for recreational flight in minutes. And it was more restrictive than I had requested. I understand they are working on that, but it is the government. Nuff said? And there is no other way to legally fly commercially anyway.

I agree with you both on the restrictions, particularly for those that are doing their best to follow the FAR's. I've had some conversations with some FSDO folks and I believe they're addressing complaints and violations as educational opportunities, yet as we know they're challenged to keep up with their other responsibilities. I'm also a Commercial, Instrument Helicopter, CFI but did the Remote Certificate just to be able to help local law enforcement and emergency services, plus an occasional job if one pops up.

BTW, have some friends in the Lancaster area and get up there on occasion. Ever hear of Venture Jets?

I agree with you both on the restrictions, particularly for those that are doing their best to follow the FAR's. I've had some conversations with some FSDO folks and I believe they're addressing complaints and violations as educational opportunities, yet as we know they're challenged to keep up with their other responsibilities. I'm also a Commercial, Instrument Helicopter, CFI but did the Remote Certificate just to be able to help local law enforcement and emergency services, plus an occasional job if one pops up.

BTW, have some friends in the Lancaster area and get up there on occasion. Ever hear of Venture Jets?

I am trying to sell the idea of drone operator training and certification for officers so that it will be more available for law enforcement and emergency services. Especially looking for sharks and lost swimmers here at the beach.

I am based in Columbus, Ohio, and have my 107 certificate. I fly for a large video production company and have been using the Inspire with X5. I have been super-pleased with this rig, but just purchased the Mavic for these reasons:

1- For backup...I really needed to have another craft available on any given shoot...I really don't want to be in the position to tell a client I can't fly/shoot at a location because my drone is having issues.

2-So I can now travel on airlines without a huge hassle...flying with the larger Inspire and batteries has proven to be a nightmare for me. The Mavic batteries are not a problem with airlines. Everything fits in a small camera bag that I can put in the overhead.

3-So I can fly more confidently in interior spaces. The Mavic is much better suited to do this vs. my Inspire.

Also, I just got my Mavic...did some quick video test shots outside, and was really pleased with the quality of the images...the video looked crisp...was not getting all the crappy aliasing that I was getting with the InspireX3 camera or the horrible Phantom Vision Plus.

I am really pleased with the way the Mavic handles and the overall engineering...I can't wait to get leaves back on the trees this spring!

If anyone is interested, this is a link to my reel...using Inspire X5 and OSMO with the X3. The Mavic will be a huge plus for me.

You can always tell a great video if it only tantalizes and makes you crave more

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty