DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shout out to all "Professional" Mavic users

There are more rules and restrictions on commercial flights than hobbyist flights. For example, commercial flight uas operators have to stay below 400 feet unless they get approval/wavier or whatever. Hobbyists do not.
Yeah...that's not correct as everyone is expected to stay below 400 feet.

Reactions: John A.
I agree with you both on the restrictions, particularly for those that are doing their best to follow the FAR's. I've had some conversations with some FSDO folks and I believe they're addressing complaints and violations as educational opportunities, yet as we know they're challenged to keep up with their other responsibilities. I'm also a Commercial, Instrument Helicopter, CFI but did the Remote Certificate just to be able to help local law enforcement and emergency services, plus an occasional job if one pops up.

BTW, have some friends in the Lancaster area and get up there on occasion. Ever hear of Venture Jets?
Heard of them, but don't know anyone there.

Excellent topic. I used the mavic last week for a survey job to test its capabilities for a company I fly for with my real full sized airplane. Here's link to the video.

I hold a special operating flight certificate for the mavic and tarot t810 in Alberta, Canada. There is new regulations from dec 22 here for drones under 1kg, these new regulations make it very easy to use the mavic outside of built up areas, class g airspace. Don't need any special permission for flying it, just need to notify navcanada through there online form of the job you are doing and location, as well as hold min $100,000 liability insurance. I hold $2 million liability with the mavic. It was $300Can for the year from Capri insurance in British Columbia.

Reactions: c hardy
Excellent topic. I used the mavic last week for a survey job to test its capabilities for a company I fly for with my real full sized airplane. Here's link to the video.

I hold a special operating flight certificate for the mavic and tarot t810 in Alberta, Canada. There is new regulations from dec 22 here for drones under 1kg, these new regulations make it very easy to use the mavic outside of built up areas, class g airspace. Don't need any special permission for flying it, just need to notify navcanada through there online form of the job you are doing and location, as well as hold min $100,000 liability insurance. I hold $2 million liability with the mavic. It was $300Can for the year from Capri insurance in British Columbia.
Interesting to see how things work north of the border. Thanks for your input!

I noticed your sailplane, which is how I got started in RC, years ago, myself.

Good video.

Side question: What temperatures are you flying in up there? We have had some temps here, teens to below zero F, which has me a little nervous to put her up in.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbmeister
I'm sure that's going to implemented for police. Autel just announced an infrared camera option from flir. I would think grabbing a drone would be faster and more cost effective than dispatching a helicopter to search for someone or use for surveilance. And I would pretty much guarantee a few officers would be trained vs having one in every patrol car.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just to verify your thoughts, I work in a rural Law Enforcement Agency, and we fly/utilize a DJI Inspire with flir, and a Mavic! I personally have a Mavic on order.

Reactions: John A.
Just to verify your thoughts, I work in a rural Law Enforcement Agency, and we fly/utilize a DJI Inspire with flir, and a Mavic! I personally have a Mavic on order.

How did you convince your department to purchase the drones? I work for a statewide parks law enforcement department and have been trying to convince them. Department leadership have turned their nose up to the idea. I have now started looking to private industry to help us fund the equipment.
We do so many search and rescues and fight so many wildfires that having an Inspire with a FLIR camera just makes sense. But my supervisors do whatever they can to explain why we can't use one.
I am just now showing them what the Mavic can do.

Reactions: k3vnnyork

Good video.

Side question: What temperatures are you flying in up there? We have had some temps here, teens to below zero F, which has me a little nervous to put her up in.

Good video.

It's been pretty cold here since I got the mavic. Coldest I've flown the mavic is -29°C. This was after the dec 26 firmware and I can tell you it fixed the cold weather gimbal issue. Video is smooth even at these temps. I flown about 2 hrs now in -20°C without issues. Only fly battery to about 40%.

Reactions: maikm
I'm studying for the part 107 cert, and have been reading the code, and the study guide. My concern is what I might be missing that may be on the test. Any pointers?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm studying for the part 107 cert, and have been reading the code, and the study guide. My concern is what I might be missing that may be on the test. Any pointers?

I second this. I will share what I come up with that seems important from the code that isn't on the study guide. I am reading it now too!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

What do you guys think about the Mavic's Occusync for pursuit and search and rescue?

As long as you understand the general categories and concepts, you can pretty much reason out the multiple choices, Not a lot of trick questions in there.

What do you guys think about the Mavic's Occusync for pursuit and search and rescue?

It is useful, but without Infrared capabilities, the Mavic is limited in its uses. An Inspire with a dual camera setup (visible and infrared) should be standard protocol.

How did you convince your department to purchase the drones? I work for a statewide parks law enforcement department and have been trying to convince them. Department leadership have turned their nose up to the idea. I have now started looking to private industry to help us fund the equipment.
We do so many search and rescues and fight so many wildfires that having an Inspire with a FLIR camera just makes sense. But my supervisors do whatever they can to explain why we can't use one.
I am just now showing them what the Mavic can do.

The admin thought of it on their own, and we split the cost with the Fire Dept. It all began after we had trouble finding an elderly person with Alzheimer's in cold weather. The victim wandered into thick brush and laid down. A bloodhound ultimately found her and she survived. Good thing a bloodhound was available to us at the time. Search and rescue personnel walked right by her, but could not see her in the thick brush. We have done a little training with the Inspire and flir and it works great!

The admin thought of it on their own, and we split the cost with the Fire Dept. It all began after we had trouble finding an elderly person with Alzheimer's in cold weather. The victim wandered into thick brush and laid down. A bloodhound ultimately found her and she survived. Good thing a bloodhound was available to us at the time. Search and rescue personnel walked right by her, but could not see her in the thick brush. We have done a little training with the Inspire and flir and it works great!

We do that type of thing on a very regular basis unfortunately. Our top brass agrees it would be a very useful tool but isn't willing to pull the trigger on it. Hopefully I'll raise the funding to get a system, show it's usefulness, and we'll start the program statewide.

I don't think we will see drones being used for pursuit until we get better battery life. I do think it will happen, but prolly not during my career.

It is useful, but without Infrared capabilities, the Mavic is limited in its uses. An Inspire with a dual camera setup (visible and infrared) should be standard protocol.

Except, convenience and portability are a real thing. I own and fly an octo and a large quad, both capable of dslr and thermal cameras. If dji or a third party came out with a thermal retrofit, I'd shelve my larger ships in a heartbeat. As fast as things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes the new paradigm, sooner than any of us might think.

I'm not sure that even dji has fully absorbed the potential effects of their latest accomplishment.

Plan on taking the 107 end of this month, pretty sure I'll have to go to Virginia. I reside in Charlotte, NC

Plan on taking the 107 end of this month, pretty sure I'll have to go to Virginia. I reside in Charlotte, NC

Did you double check for one closer to you? I took mine here in Asheville, that's gotta be closer than VA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme