DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller is AWESOME ... (What fun!)

i cannot figure out what is the common denominator is but it is not true. yesterday it processed an update over wifi for me where it complained about 'inconsistent firmwares'. but it did fail to do it originally. it is like if there is one sub-component somewhere that does refuse it, but others do work fine.

I struggled with this a bit to, and DJI's upgrade process is definitely "twitchy". I was on 0350 and it kept wanting to "upgrade" me to 0300 due to firmware mismatch. After a whole bunch of on/off's of aircraft and remote, I got a slider that asked me to update the aircraft to 0350, and everything worked fine after that. Same issues with the 0360 upgrade that came out yesterday. Bunches of on/off's until that elusive "Update" slider to push 0360 to the aircraft, and now everything works fine. Weird, not good, poor upgrade quality control.

After lots of gyrations to get upgraded from 0300 to 0350 to 0360 ... everything stabilized and after two flights with multiple batteries and a couple of hours in the air ... I proclaim this Smart Controller a "SUCCESS". No issues with any of the modes or features, and the display is terrific in bright sunlight.

If only DJI could make the upgrade experience more reliable and consistent ... I'd give it "3 Thumbs Up". With the lousy and bizarre upgrade behavior, it still gets "2 Thumbs Up" and I'm very happy with this investment.

Reactions: jsinon
sorry for dumb question, but If it is all about the screen, why not just buy iPad instead?
I used my Samsung 8 inch tablet when I had my Mavic Pro. It ran just fine and only cost me $100 bucks for the tablet!

It's not "just" about the screen, and frankly, a tablet screen rated at 600 nits will look just fine, UNTIL you look at it in sunlight next to the 1,000 nit screen on a Crystal Sky display, or this Smart Controller. It's also about not having to spend time assembling multiple parts ... and the convenience and speed of use in an integrated device. Not everybody wants to spend this kind of money, but for me, where form-factor, convenience, and screen brightness are huge priorities ... it works. Honestly, until you use it, buying on probably won't make sense to you if you like your tablet solution. But after you fly with it ... especially in bright sunlight ... I'd be surprised if you didn't say "I wish I had one of these."

Reactions: kawartha
Personall
It's not "just" about the screen, and frankly, a tablet screen rated at 600 nits will look just fine, UNTIL you look at it in sunlight next to the 1,000 nit screen on a Crystal Sky display, or this Smart Controller. It's also about not having to spend time assembling multiple parts ... and the convenience and speed of use in an integrated device. Not everybody wants to spend this kind of money, but for me, where form-factor, convenience, and screen brightness are huge priorities ... it works. Honestly, until you use it, buying on probably won't make sense to you if you like your tablet solution. But after you fly with it ... especially in bright sunlight ... I'd be surprised if you didn't say "I wish I had one of these."

Personally, I would not. The tablet worked just fine. And when I want to run a controller with an OLED built-in, I fly my EVO, and that works just fine. Can use the tablet on that one too, with no troubles. I'm thinking that you may be rationalizing the purchase. But DJI came late to the party, at a much higher expense. Good for them, not such a great deal for the consumer.

I’ve had the Smart Controller for a few weeks now and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. #1 on the list is the screen, gorgeous and no more hunched over trying to view the IPhone screen. #2 no more putting the controller/phone contraption together. #3 no more draining a phone battery running just 2 or 3 batteries through the aircraft. From unboxing it to now I haven’t had a single issue with it.

I’ve had the Smart Controller for a few weeks now and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. #1 on the list is the screen, gorgeous and no more hunched over trying to view the IPhone screen. #2 no more putting the controller/phone contraption together. #3 no more draining a phone battery running just 2 or 3 batteries through the aircraft. From unboxing it to now I haven’t had a single issue with it.

Yup ... exactly my experience. I also rarely use the features of my Ram 3500 Diesel Mega-Cab ... and it was really expensive ... but I love that too. I'm at a spot in my life where money is a "tool" to enjoy life, and I enjoy this new Smart Controller. I realize that it's not for everyone ... and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: Greenflash
Yup ... exactly my experience. I also rarely use the features of my Ram 3500 Diesel Mega-Cab ... and it was really expensive ... but I love that too. I'm at a spot in my life where money is a "tool" to enjoy life, and I enjoy this new Smart Controller. I realize that it's not for everyone ... and I'm fine with that.
If that is so, well, good for you!

Finally got a chance to give the controller a try today. Not one single problem. Screen is sharp and reception is great!

Reactions: ff22
I have had it for a week now with maybe 12 flights. The pluses greatly outweigh the minuses. I am extremely happy with it. My only "negatives" is I have found you really need to be aware of the drone-antennae connection/configuration of antennae. I have lost contact 3-4 times in simple situations that did not happen with the stock controller that came with the Mav 2. If I always keep a line-of-sight signal, no a problem. #2 is technique on my part, but I find my right thumb has a way of brushing the screen in the handle area, usually activating the camera menu or something else. The screen is very sensitive, which is great, but I do have to try to not be "all thumbs" with this unit. The rest of the features, many of which I am still exploring, are excellent. I also have no problem reading the screen in bright Tropical sun. I needed a shade for my iPad mini. I live in Guam so I always fly in the sun and this screen is quite useable out in the open. I don't have to seek shade to see what's happening. Well done DJI!!

Reactions: Greenflash and ff22
Got the FedEx this morning ... charged it, activated it, updated it ... and was flying this afternoon.

I've seen good and bad reviews on YouTube, but in my mind, this gadget is worth every dime I paid for it. The screen is amazing, the form-factor is super comfortable to hold, and I ran it through three Mavic-2 batteries this afternoon and it didn't get under 75% (on full bright in afternoon sunlight).

I give it two props up !!!

The bad reviews were always about either being too expensive, or an activation glitch, or a missing feature (like Waypoints), or (waaah) "I don't like Android".

For me ... it is and does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be and do. An added plus that it fits perfectly into the Fly-More shoulder-bag.

The sad part is that now I need to sell my Crystal Sky 7.85 High Brightness monitor and Polar Pro Flight Deck monitor mount ... both of them purchased just before I found out this Smart Controller would be available soon.

This new integrated controller is so great to fly with, that I just don't see myself using the Crystal Sky stand-alone monitor ever again.

I have a P4P+. Will the controller for that bird work with my Mavic 2 Pro?

Anyone find the controller to be a bit sluggish like the processor is a little on the slow side. Compared to my iPhone XS dji app experience this controller def seems slow to navigate around in.

I'm assuming that your response means that only the original controller for the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom will control those birds. Correct?
I’m sorry mikelberry, I misread your original question. I don’t know if your controller is compatible with the M2P or Z. DJI operators manuals usually state what DJI aircraft it’s compatible with in the specifications section.

Hi,

Sorry to be a total idiot, but what does this new controller do that my existing MP, iPhone and a viewing hood doesn't do?

When I saw the email from DJI I thought oh that looks interesting, but then when I looked at the specs and features I couldn't find anything to recommend it. After all I can use my iPhone for other things, like Litchi or making a phone call.

Anyway can some one tell me what is so good about the controller to justify purchasing one? I am in the UK so they are a little on the expensive side.

Hi,

Sorry to be a total idiot, but what does this new controller do that my existing MP, iPhone and a viewing hood doesn't do?

When I saw the email from DJI I thought oh that looks interesting, but then when I looked at the specs and features I couldn't find anything to recommend it. After all I can use my iPhone for other things, like Litchi or making a phone call.

Anyway can some one tell me what is so good about the controller to justify purchasing one? I am in the UK so they are a little on the expensive side.

Fair question. The answer depends on one's need for:

convenience - no mounting bracket (a major point of discussion - dozens of choices with likes and don't likes)
no additional wires to hook up (again discussion of is the side port durable, intermittent errors - cable related)
visibility - much more visible than most (but not all) phones or tablets.
possibly lighter than a tablet and mounting system.

Does not tie up your phone or tablet. Contra - most generally have their phone with them anyway. For some, I read, they have to remove their phone cases to use the regular controller.

Detriments

can't be used with many 3rd party app - LITCHI does NOT work (and may not work)
dedicated to on the two Mavic 2 (no enterprise unit support yet?)
question of longevity - will DJI come out with a new protocol that it does not support
Only one screen - so no dual outputs of device and controller (but controls aircraft before the app actually opens)
Two devices - phone and Smart controller.
Smaller than some tablet screens
PRICE - $$$$ - is not just expensive in the UK

And there's plenty of pro/con discussion in the various threads about it.

my take on that is - new controller is way more convenient and simpler to use than a combination of a phone and old one. but, it is bulkier, heavier and you will have to move out some items from the fly more bag if you decide to carry it in there.
for me it is a better choice, but i can see some scenarios, where i would prefer to take an old controller with a phone to cut weight of what i will need to carry. also, i have to say, i regret i did not save some $ and did not order a bundle with new controller, if that is where you at - i think it is a better choice. as i think you will be able to pick up old controller on ebay for peanuts quite soon as people will be dumping them.
Also so glad to see positive reviews on the controller.

Concerning the DJI fly more bag. I really liked that it was so compact and really held everything that came with the fly more bundle and plus more of the goodies I also purchased. BUT the bag just wasn't quite big enough because I added the Moverio BT-35e glasses. So I just last week purchased two bags from Amazon, first the Lowepro BP-250 : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGMZL8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The other was the Lykus M1 : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PMCNJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the money at $59.99 the Lykus bag worked the best over the $111.45 Lowepro bag. The Lowepro bag is bigger but the smart controller just didn't seem to fit well. The Lykus bag is smaller almost like a larger DJI bag, and everything fit even my landing pad.

Here is a review from FlytPath, the second part is on the bag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet