DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller is AWESOME ... (What fun!)

Is it true you cannot do the updates through Wi-Fi. And I was told it is more compatible with android devices more so than iOS. Which is really weird if that’s true because it’s always been the other way around.

Is it true you cannot do the updates through Wi-Fi. And I was told it is more compatible with android devices more so than iOS. Which is really weird if that’s true because it’s always been the other way around.
i cannot figure out what is the common denominator is but it is not true. yesterday it processed an update over wifi for me where it complained about 'inconsistent firmwares'. but it did fail to do it originally. it is like if there is one sub-component somewhere that does refuse it, but others do work fine.

Back in the early days of Fedex,I believe everything went to Memphis.

OTB: Yep, that's true. Originally, Mr. Smith wanted to start up the operation in Little Rock but couldn't get any traction with the city so he changed the location to Memphis. They now call it a "Super Hub" and it is quite something to see inside and out. I bet there are a few politicians in Little Rock who are still kicking themselves in the rear. :)

yesterday it processed an update over wifi

Paul: I'm reasonably confident this isn't the case but are you sure your WiFi is solid? Wireless networking can be flaky as we all know. FWIW, I now only do mine with A2 and a computer with a wired Ethernet connection.

hi, my wifi is fine for sure. i think with time i will figure out what is the deal is with it.

other topic i am not sure of - would be great to confirm... with this new 4.3.12 - i start the controller and after i open go4 app - it refuses to show me intelligent flight modes menu, so i cannot setup waypoints at all.
am i doing something wrong? i start the app and then i click 'enter the camera view - enter the camera view without connection'. wasn`t it supposed to allow me to get into the waypoints editor?

hi, my wifi is fine for sure. i think with time i will figure out what is the deal is with it.

other topic i am not sure of - would be great to confirm... with this new 4.3.12 - i start the controller and after i open go4 app - it refuses to show me intelligent flight modes menu, so i cannot setup waypoints at all.
am i doing something wrong? i start the app and then i click 'enter the camera view - enter the camera view without connection'. wasn`t it supposed to allow me to get into the waypoints editor?

Good to hear positive feedback, should be getting mine by the weekend. I did that with the original controller, i didnt have any intelligent flight modes and realised i had accidentally knocked it into tripod mode.

Glad to hear it. Did you order yours from DJI? Seems like most that did are having issues with them being held at customs.

Mine took 2 days to ship after I ordered it, and then 8 days to get here with a couple of days in the status of "Clearing Customs". Shipper was FedEx. All very reasonable, and yes ... ordered from DJI as soon as I got the "Back In Stock" EMail.

And it performed well in that BRIGHT BEND sunlight? (g)
It most certainly did. It is not as bright as my Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra-Bright ... but it is WAY brighter than any mobile phone screen and was easy to see in our beautiful pollution-free Central Oregon sunlight.

Reactions: ff22
I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I updated my controller firmware on my work wifi. When I got home and paired with the bird, It updated the bird firmware. I never connected the controller to my home wifi. The other android device I tried were connected to home wifi, and would not update the bird. I had to connect it to the assistant.

Appreciate the positive feedback - I'm getting ready to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro and am debating heavily to get the bundle with the new controller, or to just go with the regular controller and use my iPhone XS, or pick up an iPad mini or maybe a Samsung Note 8..... decisions, decisions.....

Absolutely get the aircraft with the Smart Controller bundle. I wish that had been an option when I bought my Zoom ... flying with phones is awful. You won't be sorry, and the bundle saves a couple hundred gizzerini's.

Reactions: 747P4
i cannot figure out what is the common denominator is but it is not true. yesterday it processed an update over wifi for me where it complained about 'inconsistent firmwares'. but it did fail to do it originally. it is like if there is one sub-component somewhere that does refuse it, but others do work fine.

When you upgrade your controller and aircraft firmware, you have to turn on the aircraft once with each battery, and upgrade the battery firmware too. That's where that inconsistent firmware error usually comes from. When I do the OS, I just automatically do an aircraft off/on with each of my 5 batteries, and upgrade the batteries too. Hope that helps.

Not true. I've only done updates on this through WiFi ... haven't plugged anything into anything.

Just some initial comments on updates with wifi and my first flight with the new SC.

1) Firstly, download the manual from DJI's web site and read it while the SC is charging
2) Pour/open bottle of your favorite drink (whatever floats your boat)
3) Take deep breaths, as if your wife or SOH were in labor
4) Take another drop of the "wee dram" or slug fest the beer and start with the updates.

Joking apart :p, the updates went very smoothly via wifi and I could not have wished for an better experience.
The SC performed well today and I tested the RTH with the controller, and all went well. Tomorrow I will turn off the SC to see what happens to the RTH feature.
When viewing images and video on the SC (I have it set to sync) that the Mavic 2 Zoom took, it was very responsive. My distance from launch was significantly more than normal and I had a few "weak signal" messages but no disconnects at all. This range isn't achievable with my P4 or MPP for this very same flight that I do.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I’m dying to know - is there any way to turn the incessant RTH and low battery beeping off or down in volume with this controller?

Appreciate the positive feedback - I'm getting ready to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro and am debating heavily to get the bundle with the new controller, or to just go with the regular controller and use my iPhone XS, or pick up an iPad mini or maybe a Samsung Note 8..... decisions, decisions.....
My suggestion, IF I may? GET the bundle, I already bought the Pro and with the old controller because the new one was not out then. You will save a BUNDLE no punt intended. LOL Check the price difference and you will see it is worth it to get the Bundle Enjoy I am.
Bill

I use my iPad mini 4 and it does the job well and if it’s bright out I simply use a sunshade. And it’s less than half the price. I understand that the Smart Controller gets you up in the air quickly but there’s too many problems that I have seen being reported for me to justify that much money at this point. Maybe after I see that it will be available for all the future drones that DJI is going to release in the future.

Got the FedEx this morning ... charged it, activated it, updated it ... and was flying this afternoon.

I've seen good and bad reviews on YouTube, but in my mind, this gadget is worth every dime I paid for it. The screen is amazing, the form-factor is super comfortable to hold, and I ran it through three Mavic-2 batteries this afternoon and it didn't get under 75% (on full bright in afternoon sunlight).

I give it two props up !!!

The bad reviews were always about either being too expensive, or an activation glitch, or a missing feature (like Waypoints), or (waaah) "I don't like Android".

For me ... it is and does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be and do. An added plus that it fits perfectly into the Fly-More shoulder-bag.

The sad part is that now I need to sell my Crystal Sky 7.85 High Brightness monitor and Polar Pro Flight Deck monitor mount ... both of them purchased just before I found out this Smart Controller would be available soon.

This new integrated controller is so great to fly with, that I just don't see myself using the Crystal Sky stand-alone monitor ever again.
It's always nice to get something that meets, or exceeds our expectations.

It's refreshing to hear a positive review. After yesterdays experience with the cold and my iPhone I'm even more likely to get the Smart Controller. Besides being an all in one solution, the fact the SC is rated for colder temps than my iPhone is a HUGE plus for me. Having started flying with a fully charged phone, by the time I was a third of the way through the second battery my phone was down near 20%. The M2P and controller handled the cold (low teens °F) just fine, the iPhone 7 not so much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones