DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller is AWESOME ... (What fun!)

I’m dying to know - is there any way to turn the incessant RTH and low battery beeping off or down in volume with this controller?

I will now answer my own question. Yes, you can turn off the beeping!!

From the manual under Smart Controller Warning Sounds, "To disable the beeping, select "Sound" in settings, and turn off "Notification volume".

Of course, the haptic feedback (vibrating) will still alert you, but now you're not broadcasting your status to everyone within a mile of you. Thank you DJI!

Reactions: RogerMav and ff22
Anyone find the controller to be a bit sluggish like the processor is a little on the slow side. Compared to my iPhone XS dji app experience this controller def seems slow to navigate around in.
First thing I noticed was that the interface is a little laggy compared to iPhone 6S Plus on old controller. Also Go4 startup time is slower. Not a show-stopper, though and pros beat cons.

Fair question. The answer depends on one's need for:

convenience - no mounting bracket (a major point of discussion - dozens of choices with likes and don't likes)
no additional wires to hook up (again discussion of is the side port durable, intermittent errors - cable related)
visibility - much more visible than most (but not all) phones or tablets.
possibly lighter than a tablet and mounting system.

Does not tie up your phone or tablet. Contra - most generally have their phone with them anyway. For some, I read, they have to remove their phone cases to use the regular controller.

Detriments

can't be used with many 3rd party app - LITCHI does NOT work (and may not work)
dedicated to on the two Mavic 2 (no enterprise unit support yet?)
question of longevity - will DJI come out with a new protocol that it does not support
Only one screen - so no dual outputs of device and controller (but controls aircraft before the app actually opens)
Two devices - phone and Smart controller.
Smaller than some tablet screens
PRICE - $$$$ - is not just expensive in the UK

And there's plenty of pro/con discussion in the various threads about it.

Those are all good points, pro and con. And, if I had the $700 US lying around, I'd probably buy one. But, being a working bloke with limited funds, I stressed a LONG time, before I finally went ahead and bought the M2P. I don't think I will have a clear conscience to drop the additional moola to get that controller. I'll just stick with my Simbans TangoTab that I picked up for $138 from Amazon and put a light hood on it.

Anyone find the controller to be a bit sluggish like the processor is a little on the slow side. Compared to my iPhone XS dji app experience this controller def seems slow to navigate around in.

Not really. Though it did appear that taking a photo took just a little longer, I am talking a second versus a half a second or something else minor. Would never give it a second thought given the savings in set up time between the SC and the original remote and other other benefits of the SC.

Last edited:
Those are all good points, pro and con. And, if I had the $700 US lying around, I'd probably buy one. But, being a working bloke with limited funds, I stressed a LONG time, before I finally went ahead and bought the M2P. I don't think I will have a clear conscience to drop the additional moola to get that controller. I'll just stick with my Simbans TangoTab that I picked up for $138 from Amazon and put a light hood on it.

I can fully understand.

Frankly, if the combined package had been offered back in Oct I would have probably not sprung for it. As is, I weighed, Pro/Zoom and went for the Zoom. The additional price even as a "bargain" would have stopped me cold. Doing this way, well, it felt somewhat less painful but it is still a substantial hit!

the stock RC to stop RTH beeping you tap the power button. is this still true with the SRC. mines charging and its raining so cant fly... also i did notice leaving the SRC on for a while the screen timed out and went black no big deal... but a bit later it made a noise and the screen showed the power button symbol and it turned itself off. kinda neat feature to have

the stock RC to stop RTH beeping you tap the power button. is this still true with the SRC. mines charging and its raining so cant fly... also i did notice leaving the SRC on for a while the screen timed out and went black no big deal... but a bit later it made a noise and the screen showed the power button symbol and it turned itself off. kinda neat feature to have

There was a post where someone mentioned you can go into the Main Android settings and tweak NOTIFICATIONS to deal with warning noises.

Yes, the SC will beep its little horn a few times just before turning off completely.

There was a post where someone mentioned you can go into the Main Android settings and tweak NOTIFICATIONS to deal with warning noises.

Yes, the SC will beep its little horn a few times just before turning off completely.
yea i saw that post. but what other sounds get shut off by doing that?

Just a dumb question. When you are flying say Waypoints or Active track or any other autonomous flight does obstacle avoidance work? Or say if you have APAS on with the drone fly around?

Just a dumb question. When you are flying say Waypoints or Active track or any other autonomous flight does obstacle avoidance work? Or say if you have APAS on with the drone fly around?

Yes to both with one caveat, APAS obstacle avoidance only works forward or backward not left or right flight. Best way I’ve found to remember the limitations and capabilities is fly the aircraft in the various flight profiles and note it’s reaction to obstacles.

Reactions: RogerMav
Yes to both with one caveat, APAS obstacle avoidance only works forward or backward not left or right flight. Best way I’ve found to remember the limitations and capabilities is fly the aircraft in the various flight profiles and note it’s reaction to obstacles.
Thanks much for answering this. You don't really find any threads on this. I know APAS is only forward and backward flight but didn't know if they would work together if APAS was initiated. Thanks Again..

Reactions: RogerMav
I got my SC yesterday, all updated and ready to go no problems. Regarding the bleeps etc, its all controllable in the settings, volume and switching certain notifications on and off.

20190206_123532.jpg20190206_123550.jpg

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird