DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller, WiFi-GPS?

AlienDrone

Reactions
Please excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question, I'm still somewhat of a newb. This YouTube video said that the Smart Controller has to be linked to a WiFi device in order for a successful RTH. Watch the clip around 1:50.

Is this correct?

This YouTube video said that the Smart Controller has to be linked to a WiFi device in order for a successful RTH.
Is this correct?
No ... the video guy didn't explain that very well.
The only GPS receiver you need for a successful RTH is the GPS receiver in your drone.

He was talking about resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller, a rarely used feature that might be used when flying from a moving boat, car etc.
But he even got that wrong because the Smart Controller specs say that it has GPS built-in so you could reset the homepoint to the current location of the smart controller.
He compounds the error by suggesting you can get share GPS data by hotspotting with his phone.
Hotspotting will share internet data but not GPS data.
Be skeptical of Youtube experts - half of what they'll tell you is wrong.

Last edited:
No ... the video guy didn't explain that very well.
The only GPS receiver you need for a successful RTH is the GPS receiver in your drone.

He was talking about resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller, a rarely used feature that might be used when flying from a moving boat, car etc.
But he even got that wrong because the Smart Controller specs say that it has GPS built-in so you could reset the homepoint to the current location of the smart controller.
He compounds the error by suggesting you can get share GPS data by hotspotting with his phone.
Hotspotting will share internet data but not GPS data.
Be skeptical of Youtube experts - half of what they'll tell you is wrong.
Thank you! I was just researching all the pro and cons of the smart controller before placing my order. This clip concerned me. Thank you for clearing this up for me.Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78