DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So are DJI goggles any good for night flying?

I do 90% of my flying at night between some well-lit and dark areas as 3/4 of my community is undeveloped. I will have to respectfully disagree regarding the Goggles being a "good" experience in most night situations based on what my own eyes can tell along with feedback from my SO.

Other MPs have also reported similar experiences at night where the clarity of the Goggles are significantly reduced due to the extreme noise associated with running higher ISO (1600 or 3200). Of course lower ISO settings can be used but that also produces a less than useful image due to severe under-exposure for the liveview in areas that are not well-lit.

Daytime performance can't be beat but there are a few long threads where others have provided similar feedback regarding mostly sub par night performance.

I do 90% of my flying at night between some well-lit and dark areas as 3/4 of my community is undeveloped. I will have to respectfully disagree regarding the Goggles being a "good" experience in most night situations based on what my own eyes can tell along with feedback from my SO.

Other MPs have also reported similar experiences at night where the clarity of the Goggles are significantly reduced due to the extreme noise associated with running higher ISO (1600 or 3200). Of course lower ISO settings can be used but that also produces a less than useful image due to severe under-exposure for the liveview in areas that are not well-lit.

Daytime performance can't be beat but there are a few long threads where others have provided similar feedback regarding mostly sub par night performance.
I assume it all depends where you fly! I fly over very well lit areas. I have great visabilty. But I appreciate it might be a different experience in other locations. I guess we can only speak from our own experiences though

Reactions: L.L.
I guess it's about knowing your abilities and being safe and sensible. I think night flying is much safer in well lit areas. Birds are the main reason for this. They can be a pest at times. Even though tbh the skies do belong to them and not us.

Reactions: WAXMAN and L.L.
why are all of you flying at night without a COA and a waiver.

That would be news to me. Neither the local PD or FAA ATC facilities have mentioned any COA or waiver requirements for recreational night flying when I call to notify. I will continue to prefer night flights due to less people and less air traffic in my area.

Reactions: mavic6611
Where are you located? In Canada it's not legal to fly after sunset, and I believe the same in the U.S & a number of other places

Where are you located? In Canada it's not legal to fly after sunset, and I believe the same in the U.S & a number of other places

California.

For hobbyists that is absolutely not true. Hobbyists are not required to obtain waivers or COAs to fly at night and is 100% legal if no other TFRs are in place.

I stand corrected in regard to the U.S. In Canada the only way you can legally operate after dark is with an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) which is the effective separation between hobbyist and commercial flying. Hobbiyist flying after sunset is not permitted

Reactions: mavic6611 and L.L.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito