DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So Illegal

I can't believe someone would be so ignorant to pull this stunt. But then to actually post it proudly on their Youtube channel is something on another level of ignorance.
As my Pastor used to say, that Persons needs to be bent over a Fence with their Pants pulled down and get beaten with Barb Wire!

You can risk your own life all you want pursuing dangerous hobbies, but we draw the line when our hobby is dangerous to others.
Well SAR your a great guy and all but hey when have we ever drawn the line. Hobbyist hurt, and kill people every day. Its a fact of life and we live with it.But I don't think a drone pilot has killed anyone yet.But thousands of other innocent people have been hurt or killed over the years by other people pursuing their hobby's, and most of them aren't regulated by the Gov.. I'd go out on a limb here and say that if there was never and regulations put on drones. Just let us fly when and were we wanted that there would be very little injury or death to innocent bystanders. I'm not saying none just very little and a lot less then a lot of other hobby's. Just sayin. Don't get me wrong I think there has to be some rules here and all that but less not go over board to the point we can't enjoy this hobby and its starting to get that way. The Gov will make outlaws out of us all.

Can I suggest that in the first part of the video he was standing on the roof of his building! Likely legal! Maybe not even in the air! Yes in the last pass he was in the air but again up above his building and not as high as you think! But still illegal!

As a pilot that was hit by a flying object (3 geese) that caused an in fight fire that could have very easily cost me my life. I cringe to see this irresponsible action on the part of the drone pilot. It not only could have caused a crash in the air, but when the plane came down it could have caused much death and mayhem on the ground!

Tough point to debate. I see how things like this can cause regulations that many would consider harmful to the hobby. Example Canada, from what I understand "Correct me if I am wrong" they have very strict rules to the point of not being worth participating in the hobby.

As these devices become cheaper and more prevalent, more idiots will do idiotic things. So while I support rules to insure safety, I worry that these rules will destroy a fun past time. The price of entry will make this become a rich mans hobby.
Canadian rules are not overly strict, and are generally in line with the rules in other jurisdictions; actually less stringent than some.

Reactions: Romonaga
Really? Examples?
Snowmobile rs crashing into people while out riding, Long boarders going down a hill hits cars cause accident, stunt pilots crashing into crowds,windsurfer crashes into person on the beach.Motor boat runs thru crowd on the beach, motor boat crashes into other boats. Mtn Biker crashes into people I can go on and on.

Reactions: droneloverair
Snowmobile rs crashing into people while out riding, Long boarders going down a hill hits cars cause accident, stunt pilots crashing into crowds,windsurfer crashes into person on the beach.Motor boat runs thru crowd on the beach, motor boat crashes into other boats. Mtn Biker crashes into people I can go on and on.

So no actual examples then? And I really don't think any of those categories is in remotely the same league as bringing down a manned aircraft with an inexpensive recreational UAV (the subject of this thread), even if they are happening.

So no actual examples then? And I really don't think any of those categories is in remotely the same league as bringing down a manned aircraft with an inexpensive recreational UAV (the subject of this thread), even if they are happening.
of course your gonna argue I expect nothing less. it wasn't meant to compare to anything just to say we live with accidents by hobbeist in just about every category.I will comment no more, on this lookup the examples plenty on the web good day.

Reactions: Romonaga
of course your gonna argue I expect nothing less. it wasn't meant to compare to anything just to say we live with accidents by hobbeist in just about every category.I will comment no more, on this lookup the examples plenty on the web good day.

Actually you started the argument by asserting that many hobbies cause accidents and so we should just live with the risk, so it's a bit rich to complain that I responded. So you do think that your categories of accident are comparable to the scenario in this thread? Or you are just going to attempt to deflect once your position is pointed out to be untenable? No need to answer that if you don't want to.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Actually you started the argument by asserting that many hobbies cause accidents and so we should just live with the risk, so it's a bit rich to complain that I responded. So you do think that your categories of accident are comparable to the scenario in this thread? Or you are just going to attempt to deflect once your position is pointed out to be untenable? No need to answer that if you don't want to.

Well, I for one was going to stay out of this as you seem overly argumentative about this issue. I do not think anyone is minimizing an accident, but to think that we already do not have hobbies that put others lives at risk, is well, putting blinders on.

Ok based on this, no more private planes, to much risk unless you are commercially trained, right? Heck I do not want this falling on my head.

But accident rates in general aviation have stayed stubbornly unchanged over the past decade, Weener told Live Science. The fatality rate hovers just over 1 death per every 100,000 hours, according to a 2010 NTSB report. And while accidents and fatalities are down in corporate and business jet flights, the accident rate in personal flights has increased by 20 percent in the past decade, and the fatality rate for personal flights is up 25 percent.

Personal flights, hobbyists, non-pros. Regulated, but still killing. I prefer a drone to land on my head then a plane.

Now, if you like I can do more homework and we can talk about balloons, race cars, sports cars.

Last edited:
A guy posted a video of one of the military fly overs and now it seems to be gone. Several different angles, some which look to me from a rooftop... some from a drone and the ending shot was way too close to the oncoming jets. Very very careless IMO.
We’ve had two flyovers over our home, Thunderbirds and Air Nat’l Guard. I was curious so I applied for LAANC to fly to 400’. No problem. Go figure. Oh, and I didn’t put up my drone. Stupid hurts.

Who is proposing more rules?
That's the conclusion tons of people replied with to the YT video and in this thread it was said that this is a perfect video for the FAA to use to create more regs.

Now it may not go there but when some knucklehead does something like this that's immediately where a large percentage of peoples thoughts go and it's not just hobbyists trying to protect their hobby. It can be people who already hate drones or even people who can affect change and are already getting their palms greased by people who can benefit financially from severely limiting hobbyists.

Well, I for one was going to stay out of this as you seem overly argumentative about this issue. I do not think anyone is minimizing an accident, but to think that we already do not have hobbies that put others lives at risk, is well, putting blinders on.

Ok based on this, no more private planes, to much risk unless you are commercially trained, right? Heck I do not want this falling on my head.

So this is a hobby for many, and they are killing people and it is regulated as heck.

Now, if you like I can do more homework and we can talk about balloons, race cars, sports cars, and should I mention guns?

Firstly - all your examples are transportation, not hobby, and, even if they were considered hobby, almost entirely endangered the participants, not others. That's false equivalence. Secondly - general aviation is heavily regulated as you point out, in contrast to hobby sUAS which is barely regulated at all - no training required, no test to pass, and very limited ways to enforce rules with no tracking. And, to cap all that, zero direct risk to the hobbyists themselves, unless they manage to crash it into themselves, which promotes exactly the kind of recklessness that we see here. At least private pilots have a very personal stake in the outcome of their flights.

And in what way was I being argumentative? I was responding to what I regard as a flawed and untenable position, and was met with inapplicable generalities. And in terms of people minimizing this issue, the poster that I was responding to, who wrote "Hobbyist hurt, and kill people every day. Its a fact of life and we live with it.", was doing what, exactly, if not attempting to minimize it?

Reactions: Ex Coelis
That's the conclusion tons of people replied with to the YT video and in this thread it was said that this is a perfect video for the FAA to use to create more regs.

Now it may not go there but when some knucklehead does something like this that's immediately where a large percentage of peoples thoughts go and it's not just hobbyists trying to protect their hobby. It can be people who already hate drones or even people who can affect change and are already getting their palms greased by people who can benefit financially from severely limiting hobbyists.

It certainly is ammunition for stricter regulations, but none have been proposed. Yet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk