DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So Illegal

Well he/she is an idiot.

The person never thought the possibilities that things could end badly real fast.

I never even fly my drone higher than 100meters even though the max is 120.

I always a hundred feet above for a possible bird attack. Zoom and Boom I call it.

When I was a kid I lived a few miles from a Naval Airbase, since closed. The Blue Angels came every year to do a show. We waited in one of the neighborhood kid's yard for them to fly over because their flight path usually brought them right over his house. I swear many times they were so low we could see the pilot waving to us. The idiot that actually took this video needs to be jailed. Very dangerous to those pilots.

Good point. But these idiots doesnt happen regularly.

I would let you explain that to the widow of the pilot had there been a collision.
Never mind the relatives of those killed when the aircraft hit a crowded urban space.

It only needs to happen once for a total ban on drones.

I can't believe someone would be so ignorant to pull this stunt. But then to actually post it proudly on their Youtube channel is something on another level of ignorance.
That is so immensely troubling, that decorum prevents me from fully describing it here on the forum.
You could have got very similar shots, if not the same, using a good ground based camera, while protecting the hobby.

True but the majority do abide by the rules and the regulations usually mean you can do something about the idiots and criminals.
If there were no regulations you couldn't.
No one is saying no regulations but he already is breaking the ones in place. What is in place right now will keep everyone safe if everyone would follow them. Additional regulations will not make anyone safer.

Reactions: jeepcj
Regulations don’t stop idiots or criminals.

This response is inevitably trotted out whenever laws and regulation are discussed. Consideration of its obviously incorrect logical conclusion that all laws are pointless demonstrates why it is wrong - laws and regulations have never stopped all idiots and criminals but they do vastly reduce the occurrence of such behaviors.

No one is saying no regulations but he already is breaking the ones in place. What is in place right now will keep everyone safe if everyone would follow them. Additional regulations will not make anyone safer.

Which additional regulations are you objecting to?

The guy that shot this video is a complete AH!....Its idiots like this that make it bad for those who follow the rules....I bet a little time in jail and a $$$$ fine would cute his problem.

HI All.

That video is on my YT channel. But it was originally shot by a Detroit resident named Giovanni Lucia. The reason it's on my channel (unlisted) is because I had downloaded it for safe keeping. I assumed he would take it down once the poop hit the fan. And he did. Actually, his entire Facebook page (where he originally posted it) is down.

He and I also had a FB conversation about this before his FB page was taken down. According to the lead investigator on the case I was the only one he talked to about it. But I still have the conversation. And it was not my finest hour as a representative of the UAS community. And now it's likely to become part of the investigation. Not a conversation I'm proud of.

I work with the FAA on social media and the FAASTeam. As such, once this blew up, one of my FAA contacts reached out and ask if I knew anything about it. I sent her the link.

As far as trouble, yes, he is in a pile of it. I know for a fact he is under investigation by the FAA & NCIS. And the NCIS also brought in the FBI (possibly for civilian prosecution?). It has also been sent to LEAP, which is the FAA's Law Enforcement Assistance Program. There is also at least one other agency investigating. NCIS is going to be his biggest issue. The Blue Angels have cookies of the video, and as one pilot put it "definitely wasn't too happy" when they first saw it. A friend of mine talked with one of the Blue Angel pilots he knows and passed that along to me.

This has also caused no shortage of hassle for myself. I did not expect the video to get any views (remember, I didn't list it on my page), but I made the mistake of sharing it in a small private FB group. It got shared from there (I should have known better, lesson learned!) so I didn't bother saying anything about it not being my video in the title.

So lots of people didn't read the description and assumed I was the pilot. I have received nasty, vitriolic emails, and had to turn off comments on the video. At one point there were over 50 profanity laced comments waiting for my approval. I also now have to monitor my entire YT page because people are now leaving those comments on my other videos since they can't leave it on that video. I also changed the title of the video for claicifation, so I may turn the comments back on. But I'm a bit hesitant, even with the new title.

While it is certainly aggravating to deal with people too lazy to read the description, I will take something positive away from all of the nastiness directed my way. And that's passion.

This proves people are passionate about this industry, and passionate about safety in this industry. I'll actual be writing an article for our Drone U blog about this episode with my take on the situation.

But Mr. Lucia's life is about to become extremely complicated.

This is by far the most dangerous, disgusting video I've even seen taken by a drone. And I hope Mr. Lucia has the book thrown at him.

Which additional regulations are you objecting to?
Anything that stops me doing what I want, when I want, where I want!
:)

The problem is these individuals do not accept they live in a society of many people The rules are for the good of society as a whole and all of the rules infringe on everyone a little bit but overall they help everyone.

The other way of solving the problem is no rules at all but remove all the idiots. However that would mean the only people who would be left is me and the wife :) .

Is that Moss photography in Colorado
Yes
That's the Labor Legacy Monument in Hart Plaza downtown. He couldn't have been more than 30' or so off the ground for this shot. The top of the monument is 63'.
I was referring to the handrail . He videoed or someone did in that clip from the top of whatever building he was on top of .

HI All.

That video is on my YT channel. But it was originally shot by a Detroit resident named Giovanni Lucia. The reason it's on my channel (unlisted) is because I had downloaded it for safe keeping. I assumed he would take it down once the poop hit the fan. And he did. Actually, his entire Facebook page (where he originally posted it) is down.

He and I also had a FB conversation about this before his FB page was taken down. According to the lead investigator on the case I was the only one he talked to about it. But I still have the conversation. And it was not my finest hour as a representative of the UAS community. And now it's likely to become part of the investigation. Not a conversation I'm proud of.

I work with the FAA on social media and the FAASTeam. As such, once this blew up, one of my FAA contacts reached out and ask if I knew anything about it. I sent her the link.

As far as trouble, yes, he is in a pile of it. I know for a fact he is under investigation by the FAA & NCIS. And the NCIS also brought in the FBI (possibly for civilian prosecution?). It has also been sent to LEAP, which is the FAA's Law Enforcement Assistance Program. There is also at least one other agency investigating. NCIS is going to be his biggest issue. The Blue Angels have cookies of the video, and as one pilot put it "definitely wasn't too happy" when they first saw it. A friend of mine talked with one of the Blue Angel pilots he knows and passed that along to me.

This has also caused no shortage of hassle for myself. I did not expect the video to get any views (remember, I didn't list it on my page), but I made the mistake of sharing it in a small private FB group. It got shared from there (I should have known better, lesson learned!) so I didn't bother saying anything about it not being my video in the title.

So lots of people didn't read the description and assumed I was the pilot. I have received nasty, vitriolic emails, and had to turn off comments on the video. At one point there were over 50 profanity laced comments waiting for my approval. I also now have to monitor my entire YT page because people are now leaving those comments on my other videos since they can't leave it on that video. I also changed the title of the video for claicifation, so I may turn the comments back on. But I'm a bit hesitant, even with the new title.

While it is certainly aggravating to deal with people too lazy to read the description, I will take something positive away from all of the nastiness directed my way. And that's passion.

This proves people are passionate about this industry, and passionate about safety in this industry. I'll actual be writing an article for our Drone U blog about this episode with my take on the situation.

But Mr. Lucia's life is about to become extremely complicated.

This is by far the most dangerous, disgusting video I've even seen taken by a drone. And I hope Mr. Lucia has the book thrown at him.

Well I applaud the actions that you took, so thanks for doing that. I am curious whether from your conversation you managed to get any idea of what motivated Mr Lucia to do this. Was it spectacular ignorance of both the law and basic safety, or was it willful disregard for those?

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I can't believe someone would be so ignorant to pull this stunt. But then to actually post it proudly on their Youtube channel is something on another level of ignorance.
If my MPP was up, all you would see on the video as I hear jets coming is maybe a glimpse of aircraft approaching and the camera flip down as I find a flat spot to land with much haste. Then rip my phone out of the controller and shot some nice shots.

In my opinion, this is exactly the kind of footage the FAA needs to demonstrate the need for more regulations. "Obviously the regs are currently insufficient to prevent this type of risky behavior". The public doesn't see the thousands of us who follow the rules. It's the daredevils the rules skirters that get the attention. Then their imagination takes over and adds in all kinds of potential invasion of privacy concerns etc. and voila' unsubstantiated fears increase the demand for more oversight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito