DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some irresponsible drone owners

Over Las Vegas, looks like he lost his drone with the jet wash when he was behind it.
And the person posts it on Youtube, real or fake?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Over Las Vegas, looks like he lost his drone with the jet wash when he was behind it.
And the person posts it on Youtube, real or fake?

Its a year old- Im sure there would be a incident report on the FAA site by now if it was real. Even without the plane present, it would have been reckless flying in that airspace.

Last edited:
Its a year old- Im sure there would be a incident report on the FAA site by now if it was real. Even without the plane present, it would have been reckless flying in that airspace.
Oh, I was just following the thread about irresponsible drone owners, I know it is an older video, but it is a good example of why the general public has negative thoughts about all of us. The good things are never reported, but one bad video will make the national news, thus painting all of us with the same brush.

I was wondering, wouldn't there be too much strong signal interference to fly at or near an airport?

We are more likely to get interference flying our Mavics near a business building with wifi and router repeaters- they operate in the same frequency bands. I wouldn’t be suprised if the UAV plane in the video was a custom job with a high power radio for control and fpv video downlink. Some of those are not permitted for the bands and power levels they use, even for FCC licensed amateur radio users.

The best case study they have is a controlled. targeted, specific, worst case scenario test on a light weight Moonie wing. And the results were, "not as much damage as a bird of SIMILAR SIZE would do to the sheet metal" and a token mention of structural damage, that was NEVER pictured or elaborated on in any way.

Remember the DJI Phantom that hit the military Blackhawk helicopter a couple of years ago in Manhattan? Even without downing the helicopter it did some costly damage. You willing to foot the bill if a drone gets sucked into a $15 million jet engine or cracks a windshield?

Remember the DJI Phantom that hit the military Blackhawk helicopter a couple of years ago in Manhattan? Even without downing the helicopter it did some costly damage. You willing to foot the bill if a drone gets sucked into a $15 million jet engine or cracks a windshield?

Yeah, one windshield probably costs more than most of us make over a few years, not to mention the penalties and lawyer fees.

Mmmmmm. Sad some of people think that way. Perhaps the conspiracy theorists and 'know alls' who doubt the destructive power of a drone in the aeronautical environment may wish to put their partner, children or loved ones on a plane for a controlled collision exercise to see what occurs. I wouldn't. I don't profess to know the result. All I know is that people being transported in commercial or private airlines should'nt be put at risk.

I do not condone it, BUT if someone is willing to risk that expense just to fly their toy drone in controlled airspace it should be their call. In that case the heli was WELL below the 500 ft. it should have been at over population. IMO the Heli hit the drone, not the drone hit the heli.
Mmmmmm. Sad some of people think that way. Perhaps the conspiracy theorists and 'know alls' who doubt the destructive power of a drone in the aeronautical environment may wish to put their partner, children or loved ones on a plane for a controlled collision exercise to see what occurs. I wouldn't. I don't profess to know the result. All I know is that people being transported in commercial or private airlines should'nt be put at risk.
LOL at "destructive power of a drone" :) Is that something you made up? Because no one has been able to prove it, but only suggest that it is so.
If an aircraft can survive a collision with a 15 pound canadian goose and land safely it should be no problem to survive a hit from a 90% plastic 2 pound drone. If it can't, it shouldn't be allowed to carry humans.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm from Cork Ireland - been on this forum a while - love it !

Just saw this online now (Flights suspended at Dublin Airport after confirmed sighting of drone) about a drone that has caused all flights at Dublin airport to be grounded.

Isn't it a real pain that a small few people who are irresponsible and ruining it for us all. When things like this happen (as it happened in Gatwick Airport in the UK recently and caused millions not to mention untold misery for passengers) - it'll only mean that there will be more regulations for us and might not be as easy to fly in some places.

I'm all for flying safely but it really bugs me when a small few tar us with this brush and run it for those who are responsible.

My two-pence!

Thanks Ronan.
Good comments Ronan, I’m new to drone flying. I’ve only flown twice, once in my backyard, and once in a large Cancun Hotel outdoor area when after going up and down and sideways for 10 minutes, a hotel security person told me I couldn’t fly on the hotel grounds. “You know, windows, privacy, etc” despite the fact that I flew nowhere near any windows. But here’s my question. I’ve been seeing these posts about drones shutting down airports. I may be a bit naive, but how can a 3 pound drone interfere with a multi-ton jetliner? Airplanes must run into birds and other natural flying things all the time. Drone vs Passenger Plane? I just don’t get it.

Hi

I’m travelling south east Asia and there are so many irresponsible drone pilots flying in high body traffic areas at peak tourist times. No propeller guards, flying close to people you name it.

Vietnam was the worst!

Let us not forget, They suspend operations at an airport because of a drone sighting? why?
There is NO PROOF that a drone is going to cause a crash, any more than hitting a pigeon.

The best case study they have is a controlled. targeted, specific, worst case scenario test on a light weight Moonie wing. And the results were,
"not as much damage as a bird of SIMILAR SIZE would do to the sheet metal" and a token mention of structural damage, that was NEVER pictured or elaborated on in any way. Bottom line, the "Moonie" would have landed safely. A Commercial aircraft has about 1000 times more structural integrity than a Moonie. What is the problem really?

Discounting the Mooney turd storm completely, a very lightweight bird with hollow bones and feathers can go right through a light aircraft windscreen, knocking out the pilot, or blinding him and at the very least the wind speed rushing into the cockpit is not conducive to keeping one's eyes open at all. I used to carry a pair of goggles against the day I would need them for a bird strike. A drone weighing considerably more than the bird could do the exact same thing.

It would take an unusual bird or drone to go through the windscreen of a 787. However, there are loads of corporate and personal jets that ingesting something as rigid and frangible as a drone would make an engine unusable.

I do think that drones are currently being unfairly blamed. ATC people and the AOPA are hyper-concerned because while drones are being unfairly blamed right now, the damage that can be done is very real.

I do not condone it, BUT if someone is willing to risk that expense just to fly their toy drone in controlled airspace it should be their call. In that case the heli was WELL below the 500 ft. it should have been at over population. IMO the Heli hit the drone, not the drone hit the heli.
Your opinion that the helicopter shouldn't have been there is laughable. It was an Army helicopter flying a security patrol under a TFR because the president was in the area. You're actually arguing that the tourist violating airspace with his toy is the aggrieved party in this case?

Keep arguing that and they really will take drones away from the public.

Yeah, one windshield probably costs more than most of us make over a few years, not to mention the penalties and lawyer fees.

The windshield would be more than I could afford. Repairing and rebalancing the rotor blades on a Black Hawk would be even worse.

I'm curious as to why commercial airlines continue to fly during migration season of canada geese. These uncontrolled flying weights fly at the minimum speed of 40 mph (just to take off) I have also heard they fly up into the jet stream which accounts for their amazing ability to migrate so far in so little time. A drone?? At most 1/4 the mass of a large migrating goose is so vehemently chastised as being a menace to aircraft. How many migrating geese are in the skies at any one time? Thousands!!!!! Give us few drone owners a break. Way too much yapping about breaking laws and being reckless. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: sadatoni
A simple Google search shows Canada geese fly around 3,000 feet when migrating much lower than commercial aircraft. And they are a danger to aircraft when they're taking off and landing, which is why airports take measures to mitigate the danger.

Is it really that big a burden to not fly your drone near an airport?

Reactions: M_thoroughbred
A simple Google search shows Canada geese fly around 3,000 feet when migrating much lower than commercial aircraft. And they are a danger to aircraft when they're taking off and landing, which is why airports take measures to mitigate the danger.

Is it really that big a burden to not fly your drone near an airport?

Oh don't get me wrong. Absolutely do NOT fly irresponsibly especially near airports. But I think the severe crackdown where you basically have to be a fully trained pilot just to pass the small Canadian test to fly a drone is way over done. I'm not a slouch when it comes to common sense thinking and a general understanding of flight and weather but without a study guide I got 51% when I tried to pass the small exam. I've looked online and nowhere can I find a good explanation of what is required to pass. Especially the air space zones. Since I would never fly near an airport to begin with why i need to know and understand what is being asked is absurd.
I just feel the over regulation is unnecessary.
I have not seen more than 3 drones personally other than my own. We really are not that abundant. At least not from around Toronto where I live. I am an avid photographer and I just want to get to where I can't take my camera to get some great shots.

The windshield would be more than I could afford. Repairing and rebalancing the rotor blades on a Black Hawk would be even worse.

On my Beech Sierra, the side windows cost 150.00 each and the windscreen as I remember about 400.00. Of course, when your standing around staring at a smoking wreck with a dead pilot inside the money thing becomes less important. Every other person who uses the airspace is required to have a license that spells out quite clearly procedures and regulations and has federal prison sentences and fines to enforce dangerous operation of an aircraft. Why the heck should drone operators think they shouldn't be regulated the same way? It's what keeps the airspace safe for everybody because there is no excuse for not knowing the procedures and rules and obeying them. It's part of the reason the U.S. has demonstrably the safest skies of any country.

Pilots absolutely hate surprises.

Last edited:
Cool video!

Ronan

Thanks. The feed is from Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24. I have a 2.00/month subscription. I think you can get one for .99. One of it's best features is using their cell phone app and having alerts set for any altitude in your general area. I set it for 1000-0 ft. That way if an aircraft is within range at a low altitude the app will alert me and show me the AC on the map. One of the really fun things is the mode in which the screen goes transparent and you point your camera at the aircraft flying overhead. All the information about that aircraft, it's altitude, airspeed, route, type of plane and call sign appears on the phone's screen. All that for a buck a month! IMHO, any tool out there that will keep me and others safe from spinning blades both big and small is worth it.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom