DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some irresponsible drone owners

For me anyways I found this thread in the "General Discussion" section, which is not Mavic specific (in fact many of the discussions have nothing to do with Mavics specifically). I'm not sure if it was double posted on one of the actual Mavic forums but I don't know how to check - sorry for any confusion.
No problems!
This forum and every thread in it is part of the "Mavic Pilots Forum" If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see that the admins have set up several forums for different model drones.
But you are correct, the members often forget what forum they are logged on to,and we end up with some threads that dont make sense to a MAVIC pilot! :D

Reactions: CanadaDrone
[edited for brevity]

Here you go:
Although simulations using chickens shows how birds can damage engines, it turns out drones are a bigger threat because of their weight.

The damage that could be done to a jet engine entirely depends on the situation. Differently sized drones and different speeds could all change how the integrity of the engine is affected, but a closer look at the simulation below shows that in the event of any kind of crash, things won’t be pretty.

the clearance between a fan blade and the interior wall of the inlet is minuscule. Anything that can damage the vanes on a jet engine has the potential for bringing the AC down. The simulation was done by Virginia Tech’s CRASH (Crashworthiness for Aerospace Structures and Hybrids) lab. If you check out the link on Vimeo there is a link to the full publication of the results.

I'm not even sure what the question is. What I know for certain is that as long as we share 400 feet of altitude with aircraft of any type including commercial delivery drones, it is only a matter of time before the FAA is going to require training, a demonstrated knowledge of procedures, and some kind of practical test with a designated examiner.

Ignoring the will it or won’t it never ending debate, as I recall there was at least one case where a commercial engine threw multiple fan blades with enough energy to actually penetrate the aircraft body. I don’t recall if the engine ingested anything or if it was triggered by metal fatigue.

NB

Hey Guys,

I'm from Cork Ireland - been on this forum a while - love it !

Just saw this online now (Flights suspended at Dublin Airport after confirmed sighting of drone) about a drone that has caused all flights at Dublin airport to be grounded.

Isn't it a real pain that a small few people who are irresponsible and ruining it for us all. When things like this happen (as it happened in Gatwick Airport in the UK recently and caused millions not to mention untold misery for passengers) - it'll only mean that there will be more regulations for us and might not be as easy to fly in some places.

I'm all for flying safely but it really bugs me when a small few tar us with this brush and run it for those who are responsible.

My two-pence!

Thanks Ronan.
Seriously? Im tired of the negativity always posted....there has got to be something better u could have posted instead of this. Alot of it is fake news or stuff that will just never affect u...

Ignoring the will it or won’t it never ending debate, as I recall there was at least one case where a commercial engine threw multiple fan blades with enough energy to actually penetrate the aircraft body. I don’t recall if the engine ingested anything or if it was triggered by metal fatigue.

NB
I believe you are talking about the southwest airline incident. It lost main intake fan in flight, a piece of debris took out a window, and a passenger war was killed when she was partially ejected from the plane. I remember hearing it was a mechanical failure of some sort. But we know we are at least 1000 times more likely to be killed by a random mechanical failure than a drone hit.

ETA; This one?
Crack that caused a fatal Southwest engine failure was missed six years ago

Last edited:
My Mavic Is a lot lighter than one Canadian goose and unlike the geese it does not fly in the way airplanes

Most of us, forget that we are talking about already regulated airspace, and about violations of these regulations.

This is an authorities problem. They cannot enforce their own regulations.

Do you think, that more regulations will solve THEIR problem?
Do you think, that if we ALL agree that flying near airports is stupid and dangerous, will stop it from happening?

The real question is, how authorities can ban ANY unauthorized flying object, from critical airspace, as airports.

This is a technical problem, and a challenge for technology.
Licensed "pilots", stricter regulations, and paranoia, never solved such problems. Technology did.

Stop the paranoia about "dangerous" drones, fear about "our hobby", and "regulations- mania".

NB
It was a Delta MD-80 that was sitting on the ground engines running. The engine had an uncontained failure, sending shrapnel through the skin of the AC and killing a woman. Engines are not supposed to have uncontained failures.

I think there might have been a manufacturing defect in a fan blade. You can google the NTSB report for this incident.

Last edited:
thanks for the link, but that was a cartoon, and PURELY speculation again. That is NOT proof.
I will say with a great deal of confidence that a turbine engine is a lot stronger than a lawn mower. And I am also pretty confident that I could run your drone over several times with a cheap walmart push mower without catastrophic damage to any cheap metal parts of the mower.
Again, I do not think one should fly a drone near manned aircraft, that is stupid and only done by stupider people.
BUT, dont spread fear based on what you think might happen, or from a computer graphic designed to mislead. When drone pilots themselves start saying a less the 2 pound drone will bring down an aircraft is almost as stupid as actually trying to do it. Even then your success rate in even trying to cause a collision would be VERY hard to calculate.
I just think as drone owners, we should NOT contribute to the misleading statements being made. And keep reminding people that The CHANCES of that happening are LESS than you being killed by a hailstone. That is a fact.
I'm kind of done with this and your opinion. I understand it and will defend your right to have it. However, I feel like I am being trolled so I am going to make a precautionary landing.

I'm kind of done with this and your opinion. I understand it and will defend your right to have it. However, I feel like I am being trolled so I am going to make a precautionary landing.

Well, maybe one final thought. The cost of flight training is very expensive. I did my VFR in 12 weeks for about 5000.00 in 1993.
My IFR took 18 months and ended up costing around 12,000.00 in 1998 dollars. I owned my own company at the time and had plenty of time to take lessons. Oh yeah, I purchased a 60,000.00 used aircraft in 1998 dollars which made the cost of my flight training less. The cost and time factor does a lot to mitigate the influence of people who really shouldn't be flying. That very subject of keeping the cunning stunts out of aviation is covered in your very first lesson. It's even stipulated by the FAA and it's what commercial operators use as a decision-making tool. Usually, your potential employer will spend some big bucks on an aviation shrink. Some but not all of the behaviors mentioned are:

Anti-Authority
Impulsivity
Invulnerability
Macho
The rules don't apply to me

there are a few more.

Pretty much the behavior of most trolls.

Being a horses rectum and making good money and indulging a whim to fly have not been mutually exclusive. When those people present themselves for training, the school owner knows exactly who is going to be more of a liability risk and can refuse to rent aircraft or allow the training to take place in his/her business.

In the past, if you wanted to learn to fly, it cost a lot of money. It always has. The simplest new single engine land aircraft will cost you upwards of 250,000.00. I got my used one (1976 Beech Sierra) for 60,000.00. Not everyone can afford an airplane but any idiot can afford a drone (sorry guys, just making a point). Flying is scary enough without being shot at (thanks WW2 B-17s etc.). Fortunately, the weapon of choice has changed to laser pointers. It becomes really scary when anyone who can afford a drone can arguably ruin my day of flying. As a pilot and an aircraft owner, I would do everything in my power to protect the lives of my passengers, myself and people on the ground. One way to make all flying safer is forby everyone knowing the rules and procedures and following them. By having a standard training curriculum, testing for knowledge of same and backing it up with laws, drone owners are not a separate entity from the rest of the aviation "community". Birthday balloons and kites are..

OK, now I'm done.

Last edited:
I believe you are talking about the southwest airline incident. It lost main intake fan in flight, a piece of debris took out a window, and a passenger war was killed when she was partially ejected from the plane. I remember hearing it was a mechanical failure of some sort. But we know we are at least 1000 times more likely to be killed by a random mechanical failure than a drone hit.

ETA; This one?
Crack that caused a fatal Southwest engine failure was missed six years ago

Yes, that is the incident I was referring to. Quite an interesting read. Thanks for the link.
NB

Yes, that is the incident I was referring to. Quite an interesting read. Thanks for the link.
NB
My pleasure, I am a fan of the show air disasters on tv. So I read a lot about plane crashes. If you look at most of these in detail the stand out cause of most crashes is human error. I have seen it quoted as high as 88% of the time. Although, sometimes there are other factors, like weather that add to the consequence of the human error. A pilots worst fear should be himself or his mechanic. Because those two things account for most of the crashes. Not one time has a drone been a factor in a crash, Ever. But to a person reading this forum some real pilots want to make drones look like the biggest threat to air traffic.
But that’s how it is, most real pilots are too arrogant to believe they will ever make a mistake, and don’t think toy drones should be operated by someone who hasn’t spent tens of thousands of dollars to become a pilot. Laughable if you think about it.

The last two times flying Ive watched other pilots doing crazy stuff like flying over 800’ up where there are tourist helicopters and yesterday some guys being irresponsible.
We owe it to ourselves to speak to these idoits when we see this kind of behaviour and let them know the damage they are causing for the rest of us (and them).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead