DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Some views of a foggy sunset in Vancouver Washington

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Had a nice sunset on Wednesday that occurred above a blanket of fog covering the Columbia River Valley. These images were shot directly over my driveway in the NW area of Vancouver Washington.

Looking towards Mt. Hood:

And one looking towards the setting sun:

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Nice shots! But have you seen this other post today?

Nice shots! But have you seen this other post today?

Yes I did read that. In this case I ascended to 125' over my driveway with full visibility of my drone the entire time and never left that spot until I was done taking images from the one location. I agree that flying anywhere but directly hovering overhead would not be advisable at all. The top of the fog layer fog in this case was about 75-80' overhead so I was not hovering in the fog layer at any point other than just prior to touchdown during landing.

Yes I did read that. In this case I ascended to 125' over my driveway with full visibility of my drone the entire time and never left that spot until I was done taking images from the one location. I agree that flying anywhere but directly hovering overhead would not be advisable at all. The top of the fog layer fog in this case was about 75-80' overhead so I was not hovering in the fog layer at any point other than just prior to touchdown during landing.
Not trying to be the drone police. Just thought I would provide info incase you were not aware. Still like the photos.

Reactions: AlanL
Some of the most amazing drone photos I have ever seen depict a ground fog with tall buildings or mountains protruding thru into the clear air. Not according to the rules or good common sense, I know, but the photos are amazing. Sounds like you were very careful to keep your drone in VLOS. Thanks for posting.

Some of the most amazing drone photos I have ever seen depict a ground fog with tall buildings or mountains protruding thru into the clear air. Not according to the rules or good common sense, I know, but the photos are amazing. Sounds like you were very careful to keep your drone in VLOS. Thanks for posting.

Thanks!

If you look down towards the bottom of both frames you can see the ground at short range so this wasn't pea soup level fog at all. If my drone hadn't jumped into clear air just barely above the trees in my yard I would not have continued. I am a still photographer as opposed to a video type so I saw no reason to do anything in the air besides spin around and shoot pano sequences. I would not be comfortable flying around with an impaired view of the ground from the drone and no VLOS.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I did this one last month of an early morning fog rolling in from Old Hickory Lake and the Cumberland River in Hendersonville, TN (just a few miles northeast of Nashville). I also flew straight up and kept the drone in VLOS for safety. However, the view was spectacular.PANO0001-Edit.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972