DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Splish Splash... Bye bye birdie.

It happened... The moment every drone pilot never wants to have....

First mistake- I was flying over a river... With trees overhanging...

Second mistake- I was looking at my screen, not my drone.

Third mistake- I didn't know my surroundings.

It happened on my last flight of the day. I was too busy filming and not busy flying. I diverted one branch and thought I was clear. Then I went to land and bam, the prop caught a super small twig that was just too big... The Mavic Air tumbled and splash.... Right into the water. I tried to jump in and the river current was strong and it was deep as well. After about 30 minutes of pure panic I gave up. I called DJI because I have refresh, and he told me what I already knew. I need the drone for replacement. I'm going back tomorrow with a pole, treble hook, and heavy weight. Wish me luck...
What a shame because the video is fantastic. From the video it appears the drone is hung up in the branches. Wish you luck

What a shame because the video is fantastic. From the video it appears the drone is hung up in the branches. Wish you luck

That wasn't my drone crash. I'll post mine real quick so you guys can see it.

Here it is. So the under the bridge wasn't the problem, I've done that before and the connection was fine. It was my dumb *** that flew right into the branch. I tried to correct it, but it was too late.

Sorry guys I left this closed by mistake when cleaning a post out . Was my bad .
Carry on .67748

Here it is. So the under the bridge wasn't the problem, I've done that before and the connection was fine. It was my dumb *** that flew right into the branch. I tried to correct it, but it was too late.

Whoops!

So you screen recorded the flight and thats not from the Mavic's recovered SD cards footage -right?

Whoops!

So you screen recorded the flight and thats not from the Mavic's recovered SD cards footage -right?

I cache my recent videos and photos on my phone for instant viewing and situations as such. I keep about 8gb on my phone.

Reactions: BD0G
UPDATE ON DRONE:

I contacted a local diver and he quoted me $300 for a standard tank worth of time. That's a bit steep for jusy recovery, so I'll keep looking around. DJI got back to me and ruled it pilot error (as I already knew) and they are giving me 15% off a Mavic Air with one battery only, they haven't gotten back on how much that actually is. I'll update more as I get more information, hopefully we can find a cheaper diver.

Sorry man that $ucks. I did the same thing but I was lucky my air recovered came up out of the water and got tangled in the tree branches. See my crash
crash at about 2:40 in
This superb place would deserve a Litchi mission ! But I did the same mistake with my Mavic Pro some weeks ago after a Litchi mission that ran perfectly. It happened over a deep canyon when landing the drone in a narrow and difficult place. Fortunately, the AC recovered by istself and I could escape the tree. (Raw extract of the video)

Sorry man that $ucks. I did the same thing but I was lucky my air recovered came up out of the water and got tangled in the tree branches. See my crash
crash at about 2:40 in
did you drift into the trees because you lost GPS from being under the bridge??

Yeah it looks like you were fine until it drifted over like that. Where is this shot by the way?

Not sure what exactly happened there was no text or data file for some reason, but all was fine till I turned around under the bridge and headed back.
Shot on the Pemigewasset River in NH

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treknotika