DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm - After a claim

R1Mavic

Reactions
I had a SF PAP for my first Mavic Air. After a few months of having it, I crashed the drone, they gave me the insured value. The adjuster I spoke with told me when/if I replace the drone to let them know they'll extend the coverage. I was a little traumatized after the crash and the claim I gave up on drones. Months later I bought a Spark, got more comfortable with a drone...eventually sold it and bought another Mavic Air. I never inquired about insurance for either since I had a claim and didn't want to go through it again. I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. Most expensive drone I've ever owned. Called State Farm to get it covered and was told by agent they would not reinstate the policy.
Now what's a man to do? I really feel like I need some sort of coverage on this drone. I bought it second hand, so I am not sure if DJI will extend coverage. Really sucks...I had four vehicle and my home insured with them for years and that was the only claim I made.

Now what's a man to do?
Call another carrier. You are looking for a Personal Article Floater to cover "camera equipment". At some point mention the drone and see if they will still issue the policy.

I had a SF PAP for my first Mavic Air. After a few months of having it, I crashed the drone, they gave me the insured value. The adjuster I spoke with told me when/if I replace the drone to let them know they'll extend the coverage. I was a little traumatized after the crash and the claim I gave up on drones. Months later I bought a Spark, got more comfortable with a drone...eventually sold it and bought another Mavic Air. I never inquired about insurance for either since I had a claim and didn't want to go through it again. I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. Most expensive drone I've ever owned. Called State Farm to get it covered and was told by agent they would not reinstate the policy.
Now what's a man to do? I really feel like I need some sort of coverage on this drone. I bought it second hand, so I am not sure if DJI will extend coverage. Really sucks...I had four vehicle and my home insured with them for years and that was the only claim I made.

What a pooper! I have the same coverage, house, car, etc and PAP on my MPP. No claims yet, but I’m going to talk to my agent about this. How much time went by between when you made your claim and when you requested reinstatement? I’m wondering if they figured out it’s a no win situation for StateFarm?

Reactions: WAXMAN
Call another carrier. You are looking for a Personal Article Floater to cover "camera equipment". At some point mention the drone and see if they will still issue the policy.

Dammit....I saw this too late. I just called another and just said "drone". He needs to call UW and call me back.

If State Farm says no, get Refresh. State Farm will usually not reissue a policy if you have had a claim within the first year.

How much time went by between when you made your claim and when you requested reinstatement? I’m wondering if they figured out it’s a no win situation for StateFarm?

Very close to two year. Months passed before I bought the Spark...had it for at least 5 months before I bought another Air. Then had the Air for nearly a year.

I can get Refresh on a "used" drone?
You can if DJI Care Refresh was never purchased for that drone before. See more details here on the steps you need to take before DJI will allow you to purchase a DJI Care Refresh plan.

Reactions: R1Mavic
I would try calling a different State Farm agent maybe. Don't ask to reinstate a policy. Simply ask to start a new policy. I started a SF PAP and had a claim on my Mavic Air less than 30 days later, they immediately paid the full cost to replace, I immediately replaced with a new one and extended coverage onto the new one. That was a little over a year ago and my policy just renewed. I know that there is speculation that SF will not renew or extend coverage after someone files a claim, but that has not been my experience at all.

That is state sucks farm. That is the way they operate

I would try calling a different State Farm agent maybe. Don't ask to reinstate a policy. Simply ask to start a new policy. I started a SF PAP and had a claim on my Mavic Air less than 30 days later, they immediately paid the full cost to replace, I immediately replaced with a new one and extended coverage onto the new one. That was a little over a year ago and my policy just renewed. I know that there is speculation that SF will not renew or extend coverage after someone files a claim, but that has not been my experience at all.

Just did this and so far so good. He took down all the information and told me he'd get some data as to the annual cost and call me back. $60 a year is the min premium they have. I told him I purchased it second hand for less than the replacement cost. He said he'll write the policy for the retail cost. I'll let you know how the return call goes.

Reactions: Coskier
I don't believe State Farm will cover one you bought second hand, will they? When I insured each of mine, they wanted original receipts with serial numbers.

Excellent news - glad I was wrong on that.

Reactions: jvhooser
I am starting my policy with State Farm tomorrow. Cost $33 to insure my Mavic Pro and accessories. No problems.

You, sir, delivered the winning solution. New policy paid in full for $60 with $1700 worth of coverage. $0 debuctible!! I appreciate you.

Yah ... that’s not how insurance REALLY works my friends! You pay tons of money to get coverage, make a legit claim and if they payout your rates go up. Next if you file a second claim within 5 years they can flat out not cover you at renewal time or they put you in a higher risk tear at a higher rate. I just went through that discussion after a drone loss. This is scary because I could have lost my home and auto coverage as a result.
Ain’t nothing in this world for free.

You can if DJI Care Refresh was never purchased for that drone before. See more details here on the steps you need to take before DJI will allow you to purchase a DJI Care Refresh plan.
The only catch with refresh is the drone must be sent back. If it can’t be recovered like crashing the ocean and the carcass is not found then your out of luck.

Yah ... that’s not how insurance REALLY works my friends! You pay tons of money to get coverage, make a legit claim and if they payout your rates go up. Next if you file a second claim within 5 years they can flat out not cover you at renewal time or they put you in a higher risk tear at a higher rate. I just went through that discussion after a drone loss. This is scary because I could have lost my home and auto coverage as a result.
Ain’t nothing in this world for free.
This is the reason I didn't insure the 2nd and 3rd drone...I didn't want the claim SF paid to affect my other coverages. I would have skipped the Zoom, too, had it not cost so much. I feel somewhat skilled now flying and all yesterday I was a nervous wreck flying around. I'll continue to be super careful, but it's good to know my back is covered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise