DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still worth it after 6 months since release?

Would you still buy, knowing what you know now (6 months after release) and possible changes thru FW

• Yes

Votes: 74 92.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

wco81

Reactions
Seems the main blemish of the M2P, against broad acclaim and positive reviews, is 4K video performance, especially relative to the Phantom 4 Pro.

There's the possibility of improvements and features through firmware updates to come, but considering the state of the product now and what you've learned in these 6 months, would you still buy?

Seems the main blemish of the M2P, against broad acclaim and positive reviews, is 4K video performance, especially relative to the Phantom 4 Pro.

There's the possibility of improvements and features through firmware updates to come, but considering the state of the product now and what you've learned in these 6 months, would you still buy?

You aren't going to get significantly better video quality in a firmware update because DJI claims it's a hardware processing limitation (the sensor itself is more than capable). Whether that limitation is artificial/intentional or not to protect the Phantom line, who knows. I tend to believe it is because there are compact cameras on the market using a version of that same sensor which can easily shoot 30 minutes of 4K/30P footage at a time with full sensor readout (the proper way to do it). And those compact cameras are much smaller and have no active cooling, compared to a M2P which is larger and has active cooling as well as much better passive cooling.

It's still not quite as good as the P4P but HQ mode on the M2P solves most of the image quality complaints found in FOV mode, albeit at a ~40mm equivalent (up from 28mm equivalent).

I bought one quite recently with the Smart Controller, zero regrets. If DJI announces a "Platinum" edition this Spring/Summer though I will not be too happy. I also have a Mavic Air.

Bottom line is there is zero competition out there for it, and no rumors of a replacement/update, so if you want one, get it and consider any photos/video you get between now and it's replacement a bonus.

You asking Me.?
My last drone was a Park Flyer 1080P
My Mavic Pro 1... 12 mp

If I can get Pic's like This ...I would be all in
(sony RX100 II) 1" sensor 20 mp

Mavic pro 1

I blew up a members Pic and was very impressed
....cR

panoramicac1-jpg.64996

Reactions: Porky
I just purchased mine last month, so yeah.

Quite the upgrade from my 1st gen Mavic Pro IMHO. I'm very satisfied, until the next one is announced. ;)

Reactions: charliesRig
No, so cut your losses.

I'll help you out.
I offer $750 for an M2P in immaculate condition with less than three battery charges with or without the **** FAA label.
This is a limited time offer, so don't delay

Drone video is boring anyway, you don't need high quality boring video do you?

I purchased mine the day it was announced and got it 2 days later. I crashed it into a tree about a month ago. ThunderDrone repaired it and all is good. I fly the M2P more than the P4P or Mavic Pro. I feel that for what I shoot, I have to do minimal if any post production editing with the M2P. Just an all around good bird IMO. Im betting DJI does away with the Phantom series altogether. I could be wrong but it seems that if you can get similar results from a more portable drone then it's a big seller. I travel a lot and am always leary of packing up the Phantom over the Mavic's.

I purchased mine the day it was announced and got it 2 days later. I crashed it into a tree about a month ago. ThunderDrone repaired it and all is good. I fly the M2P more than the P4P or Mavic Pro. I feel that for what I shoot, I have to do minimal if any post production editing with the M2P. Just an all around good bird IMO. Im betting DJI does away with the Phantom series altogether. I could be wrong but it seems that if you can get similar results from a more portable drone then it's a big seller. I travel a lot and am always leary of packing up the Phantom over the Mavic's.

I don't think the Phantom series is going anywhere, but I think you will see a move to interchangeable lenses and possibly M43 sensors to keep them differentiated. They also are the only non-pro drones doing 4K/60P with a 1" sensor and have a mechanical shutter, but I think they need more than that to keep people from just buying the M2P :)

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaggyC