DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Substitute for Expensive Screens

petes

Reactions
Ok so at my age vision is not my strong point so the Galaxy S10 is a little too small but my Tab S5E is too big so I was wondering if there is a middle ground.... drumroll... Would a E-Reader work say a Fire Tablet 8inch Fire is $60.00 or so

Thanks guys

I have a 2016 Fire HD8 that I had been using with zero issues at all..... until the latest Go4 app update. Now Go4 crashes each time I try to open it. I did have to install the Google Play store to get the app. Been too busy to downgrade to the previous app version that was working flawlessly.

Try an iPad mini 4.
I've been using it for a couple years and works great.
Pretty sure the fire is not fast enough. Not even sure you can install dji go on it
Appreciate it but looking for a savings iPad Mini is 7 times more expensive than the fire and I would assume 1.3Ghz is plenty of speed

The Fire worked perfect until last app update. I also use an iPad mini 2 with zero issues. This forum is kind of funny in what others will tell you that work or don’t work. I still use the Wunderphone also. My suggestion is to try it for yourself. Worst case, Amazon has a stellar return policy or you can use it to stream video on vacation.

The Fire worked perfect until last app update. I also use an iPad mini 2 with zero issues. This forum is kind of funny in what others will tell you that work or don’t work. I still use the Wunderphone also. My suggestion is to try it for yourself. Worst case, Amazon has a stellar return policy or you can use it to stream video on vacation.
I used a mini iPad 2 for years and it worked flawlessly. Not sure why people think you need massive compute power. The important thing is don’t let other apps run in the background if you get enough things going it will eventually
Slow down any system.
I would buy a used mini iPad three only because twos aren’t that much cheaper right now.
The fact is iOS apps seem to be more robust and Numerous.

I recently tried both the iPad 2, available for about $140 at Amazon. It worked well, but I wanted to replace my Fire Tablets with an in expensive ios system unit, as DJI 4 seems to work well with most ios tablets. An Apple mini 4 is still around $300 and a new mini 5 is $399 at BB. I have had no success at side loading the Android app on to my Android Fire Tablets. I keep getting a "Parsing" error and it refuses to install. I will take a run at that tomorrow, as it is supposed to rain here this weekend.

I've been wondering about this too...I have an iPad air, but without cellphone capabilities. Will that do it, or does it have to have the built-in phone?

After reading some other strings in here, I see that you can do this without cellular (esp if you use your phone as a hotspot), but I don't know where to get a longer cable to connect my ipad to my controller...any advice? Also, who makes decent gear to hold your controller and your ipad together?

Last edited:
Are you trying to sideload just DJI Go4 or installing the entire Google play store and loading from that? I have had the Google play store on Fire tablets for four of five years. Have had the Go4 app on my 2016 HD8 some i got my mavic and had zero issues until last update.
I recently tried both the iPad 2, available for about $140 at Amazon. It worked well, but I wanted to replace my Fire Tablets with an in expensive ios system unit, as DJI 4 seems to work well with most ios tablets. An Apple mini 4 is still around $300 and a new mini 5 is $399 at BB. I have had no success at side loading the Android app on to my Android Fire Tablets. I keep getting a "Parsing" error and it refuses to install. I will take a run at that tomorrow, as it is supposed to rain here this weekend.

I use a Huawei MediaPad M5 with 8" screen and it is perfect for me with zero issues and very reliable, I have to add that it is only used for my drone. I also found a phone screen too small and didn't want to go to the expense of an iPad.

DJI updated the android app, the newest version is also a no-go on the Amazon Fire HD8.

What Dji apps do you want to run?
I use these-
Asus Nexus 7 2013 version
Nvidia Sheild K1
Ipad mini 2
Pretty sure I have DJI go, Dji go4 and Dji go4 Mod 2 on the Asus and Nividia.
The Mini 2 I have just the Dji fly app for the mini.
All the above I was able to purchase on craigslist or offer up locally. Out of the 3 the Nividia set me back the most. $80
I'm now looking for android tablet capable of running the following apps-
Dji Fly, Dji go, Dji go4 Mod 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78