DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SUPER proud of this

Ross hands down one of the best video productions I have seen done with the Mavic. It looks like a commercial grade production. At the start it felt like an advertisement for DJI :).

I can see that you were fighting to eek the last bit of goodness out of the camera which was amazing. You seemed to have mastered the cameras limits and learned to stay within the boundaries. Only the one shot at 1:27 had any kind of flaw. Now my friend give us a low down on the settings and filters you used:D Did you run it through multiple passes of noise reduction?

If this is your first production I am certainly subscribing to see what else you come up with. May I suggest that you actually do a full blown Mavic advertisement using some of that footage plus some added user shots and video of the craft in the sky. You could send it off to DJI and who knows you might end up with a contract.

In Awe
Rob

Absolutely great job! You should be proud. Please keep posting your work. Thank you for sharing.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

Reactions: rossmoney
Seattle - Elliot Bay

This is the final edit of a video I posted earlier asking about legality.
Sorry for those of you who have already seen it!

If you have ANY feedback/questions I'd love to hear it!
I love being a part of this community.
Happy flying!
-Ross

Hi Ross,

That's stunning. I'd love to know what mix of filters and settings you experimented with, and how much work was required in post (in terms of alterations) to get that kind of output.

A definite show of skill there my friend. Well done.

Well done! Nice work. I like this movie.

Ross hands down one of the best video productions I have seen done with the Mavic. It looks like a commercial grade production. At the start it felt like an advertisement for DJI :).

I can see that you were fighting to eek the last bit of goodness out of the camera which was amazing. You seemed to have mastered the cameras limits and learned to stay within the boundaries. Only the one shot at 1:27 had any kind of flaw. Now my friend give us a low down on the settings and filters you used:D Did you run it through multiple passes of noise reduction?

If this is your first production I am certainly subscribing to see what else you come up with. May I suggest that you actually do a full blown Mavic advertisement using some of that footage plus some added user shots and video of the craft in the sky. You could send it off to DJI and who knows you might end up with a contract.

In Awe
Rob

Thanks so much rob!
yeah, honestly the shot you're referring to was the hardest one for me.
I kept attempting to get a good color correction on it, but there's SO little color data in the shot... I ended up just using what came out of the camera.

As far as settings are concerned, I just used what came out of the box!
I looked back at the meta data and it said "HD -1-1-1" (hope that helps)

The sunrise footage was untouched.
No passes through any type of de-noising.
I did color correct the ferry footage a little bit by adding some exposure and warmth. All manually.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Ross

Ross
Your not joking about the color data. Use some settings and it slams them to the wall, use others and there is almost nothing.
Same thing for the Dynamic Range. To me this is the biggest limitation. You smartly got around that by shooting scenes of fairly low light that varied very little in intensity. Hats off to you for working within that limitation. Another problem is the focus breathing. I have never seen a prime lens that has this much focus breathing. It makes me very scared to tap the focus because the whole picture zooms in a bit and then comes back.

I loved the way you setup that first scene, the way the two of you are in the Bokeh behind the Mavic. Then the guy next to you, I am not sure if it is a friend but with the out of focus look I envision your father. I love the way he looks at the controller and then the Mavic zooming away and gives that tiny wow look of amazement. Bringing the Mavics screen back into focus was also very creatively done. The list of small but great editing and layout touches just continues until the end.

I assume you shot this at full 4K 25fps? With no ND filters? Was the lighting low enough that you could get ISO 100 and 1/50th shutter?

BTW I found a video I want to show to you. I am going to find the link later and post it.

Rob

thanks
Ross

I loved the way you setup that first scene, the way the two of you are in the Bokeh behind the Mavic. Then the guy next to you, I am not sure if it is a friend but with the out of focus look I envision your father. I love the way he looks at the controller and then the Mavic zooming away and gives that tiny wow look of amazement. Bringing the Mavics screen back into focus was also very creatively done. The list of small but great editing and layout touches just continues until the end.

I assume you shot this at full 4K 25fps? With no ND filters? Was the lighting low enough that you could get ISO 100 and 1/50th shutter?

BTW I found a video I want to show to you. I am going to find the link later and post it.

Rob

Thanks for the reply!
I appreciate the feedback, yeah my older brother was shooting the off-drone shots with a 5d MK3. not sure the lens, but it always makes for beautiful footage and he's incredible talented at it. Honestly that's where I get most of my eye for shots from.
My little brother is the one next to me on the bench.

I shot it at 2.7k 24fps. yeah no ND filters.
I'm sorry I can't give you more information about my settings, I literally got this thing a little over a week ago, I'm not sure how to look back to checkin ISO.
I think it was on auto to be honest...

Ross this is the video that I said i would link.
I would love to see your style of this using the Elliot bay footage plus Avena song and edit in some great Mavic scenes.

Rob

Seattle - Elliot Bay
If you have ANY feedback/questions I'd love to hear it!
I love being a part of this community.
Happy flying!
-Ross
My favorite shot is the ferry with the skyline in the background (at 0:30). Very well framed.
Great all around!

Very nice.

Ross this is the video that I said i would link.
I would love to see your style of this using the Elliot bay footage plus Avena song and edit in some great Mavic scenes.

Rob

Hey rob, cool video! funny that this guy didn't take off any of the stickers when he first got it!
It looks like he also has a pretty severe blur issue on the left side of the frame... I've heard that's happened with a few mavics out there...

Help me understand what you're wanting me to make?
are you suggesting I just put in more shots of me flying the drone?

Great effort Ross.
I've noticed with some of my shots, there just seems to be a real sweet spot in terms of lighting conditions with the Mavic. When you have those conditions the footage is so good (given the tiny size of the camera). One key element as you have shown so well in your clip, is to have super slow smooth movements. Nice long straight runs or ultra slow pans. Well done.

Hey rob, cool video! funny that this guy didn't take off any of the stickers when he first got it!
It looks like he also has a pretty severe blur issue on the left side of the frame... I've heard that's happened with a few mavics out there...

Help me understand what you're wanting me to make?
are you suggesting I just put in more shots of me flying the drone?

Hi Ross
Yes he had several video issues, but I really liked what he was trying to achieve. When I look at the style you use I think it could be applied to make a much more cinematic version. Yes it would need some more footage of you taking iit out of the small bag and unfolding it and putting it on spot from your original video. Some footage of the Mavic hovering close in and making a nice slow rotation and then bolting out in Sports mode framed from the side in slow motion picking up the rise of the backs angle. Then maybe fast edit in at real speed.

The landing after editing in your Bay footage could be a full speed return catching the full breaking angle bring her right to a stop over the landing pad. A switch to tripod mode and a little slow turn to face the camera and a gimbal nod to look down then up and then down followed by a landing and you picking it up looking at it with a bit of awe and then folding it up and putting it back in the bag. Maybe a DJI Mavic logo as the finish.

That's just my half witted idea, I would love to see what you and your brother could come up with, if the idea interest you.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada