DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Supplied Mini 3 screwdriver size, a thread on the DJI forum that might be interesting if you ignore the doo daa

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
There's the usual _-_- between some posters. Sorry about that.

I think I have seen two stripped screwhead threads for the Mini 3 so far which makes me wonder if there is something to this but some posts in that thread make me wonder how much truth there is in the thread............. but it may be interesting to some Mini 3 users.

Never changed them on my Mini 2 or 3. I'll have to take a look.

There's the usual _-_- between some posters. Sorry about that.

I think I have seen two stripped screwhead threads for the Mini 3 so far which makes me wonder if there is something to this but some posts in that thread make me wonder how much truth there is in the thread............. but it may be interesting to some Mini 3 users.
Yup Check your supplied screw driver

I took a look at that silly little toy screwdriver that DJI supplied & knew that I'd be using a properly-sized tool when replacing the props on my M3P (which I haven't had to do yet).

I haven't even bothered to check if the tip properly fit the screw heads; since the threads have a plastic lock applied to them, I knew it will be a challenge to remove (& install?) the prop screws.

That very slim handle will give little torque, & if someone tried using it, their struggles would likely result in the screwdriver getting misaligned from the axis of the screw, & then, stripping the screw head(s).

This doesn't even take into account the challenge of working against a solid backup for stability.

A properly fitted screwdriver tip will fit very closely, even tightly, into the screw head, & you'll even be able to hold the screwdriver in the screw head, almost upside down. There should be very little to no “slop” between the screwdriver tip & the screw.

Take this from someone who's worked on equipment including firearms for decades.

Properly done with proper tools, & you will perform immaculate service, as in, you'll leave no marks, aberrations, burrs, or blemishes on whatever you've serviced.

1 last bit of advice, try to avoid chrome-plated junk. A pro-grade screwdriver will be tool-steel black.

I took a look at that silly little toy screwdriver that DJI supplied & knew that I'd be using a properly-sized tool when replacing the props on my M3P (which I haven't had to do yet).

I haven't even bothered to check if the tip properly fit the screw heads; since the threads have a plastic lock applied to them, I knew it will be a challenge to remove (& install?) the prop screws.

That very slim handle will give little torque, & if someone tried using it, their struggles would likely result in the screwdriver getting misaligned from the axis of the screw, & then, stripping the screw head(s).

This doesn't even take into account the challenge of working against a solid backup for stability.

A properly fitted screwdriver tip will fit very closely, even tightly, into the screw head, & you'll even be able to hold the screwdriver in the screw head, almost upside down. There should be very little to no “slop” between the screwdriver tip & the screw.

Take this from someone who's worked on equipment including firearms for decades.

Properly done with proper tools, & you will perform immaculate service, as in, you'll leave no marks, aberrations, burrs, or blemishes on whatever you've serviced.

1 last bit of advice, try to avoid chrome-plated junk. A pro-grade screwdriver will be tool-steel black.
Very interesting but have you any idea of the right size of screwdriver, cheersLen

Very interesting but have you any idea of the right size of screwdriver, cheersLen
Next time I remember to take either 1 of the screws, or the drone itself, to my local hardware store, & do some test-fitting, I'll let you all know. What I report will be for the size of the screws on my drone.

If DJI is like most other manufacturers, their fasteners can be subject to using whatever's on hand at the time, & YMMV.

I do know, regardless what others may say about theirs, that the toy screwdriver that DJI supplied in my kit, fits very sloppily, as in, loosely, with the tip hitting the bottom of the “+” in the screw head. It also allows for lots of lateral wobble, as well as side-to-side slop.

Any 1 of those 3 issues is enough to increase the chances for stripping out the screw head; all 3 is a recipe for disaster.

If it makes any difference, I received my M3P drone very early last August, & ordered it directly from DJI.

The supplied one is the wrong size which combined with the really soft metal in the screws is causing issues.

JIS000 works perfectly for me. Wera 000 also works better than supplied if you use a good bit of downward pressure.

The supplied is useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrolator
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661