DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surprised there is no third party solution to the Android charging from controller problem.

Nothing there saying it prevents an Android from charging off of the RC.

Read the last bullet point in the description. It'll be arriving by the end of the week. I'll test it out and report back here.

If it still charges, oh well, if anything I'll have a longer cable to use with tablet/phone holders. While I agree it's annoying, it's never been an issue for me. With the RC and phone fully charged the RC is still at about 60% after 3 batteries.

Read the last bullet point in the description. It'll be arriving by the end of the week. I'll test it out and report back here.

If it still charges, oh well, if anything I'll have a longer cable to use with tablet/phone holders. While I agree it's annoying, it's never been an issue for me. With the RC and phone fully charged the RC is still at about 60% after 3 batteries.
you should read review people leave on amazon.

4.0 out of 5 starsCharging phone battery from the Spark controller!
August 16, 2019
Style: For USB C Device to ControllerVerified Purchase
Yes, it works but the phone is charging and the power is coming from the Spark controller. I don't think that's a good situation. I would rater loose the phone than the controller. Tried both a Galaxy S8 and a LG V30. Both indicate that the phone battery is being charged.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Why is this an issue? my controller was fully charged and i got at least 6 flights before I charged it, and it was only about 1/2 discharged.

so you've managed 6 flights or around 2-2.5hrs of flights and your remote battery was at half power?
What android device are you running?

so you've managed 6 flights or around 2-2.5hrs of flights and your remote battery was at half power?
What android device are you running?

Not 6 flights back to back, and my phone, Galaxy S8, usually had decent charge before i went out. Flights were done 1 or 2 at a time...

Either way the remote would have been charging your phone for 2hrs+ as your phone would have been using it to charge. Even going out fully charged you're still hitting it with 2hrs+ of screen on time and being cold I'd imagine it'd hit it harder. I'm impressed that is all.

Convincent explanation ... Hopefully the manufacturers (all) will solve it someday ..

If you have a rooted android it's easy. Try the APP "Disable Battery Charging ROOT". It's as easy as change a text file in the roots of your phone. After I have discovered witch file was right for my phone, I wrote a simple Tasker Macro to do it automatically. It actually turns my brightness to maximum, increases notifications sounds, turns the time to turn off the screen to maximum, switches to airplane mode, disables charging, opens DJI Go and starts recording the screen. All with a simple tap on the screen.

If you want more, you can try the ACCA APP. An APP to manage battery charging. You can control the charging current, the voltage, the temperature and a lot more.

If you have a rooted android it's easy. Try the APP "Disable Battery Charging ROOT". It's as easy as change a text file in the roots of your phone. After I have discovered witch file was right for my phone, I wrote a simple Tasker Macro to do it automatically. It actually turns my brightness to maximum, increases notifications sounds, turns the time to turn off the screen to maximum, switches to airplane mode, disables charging, opens DJI Go and starts recording the screen. All with a simple tap on the screen.

If you want more, you can try the ACCA APP. An APP to manage battery charging. You can control the charging current, the voltage, the temperature and a lot more.
Yeah, was all excited to do all that but the display device I like to use because of the 1200 nits brightness has no root access possibility Note8 Snapdragon :(
my second favorite option TabA T380 won't even install the Fly app :(

Nothing there saying it prevents an Android from charging off of the RC.

Actually, it does, in so many words:

"§ Please Note: This cable is specifical designed Compatible with DJI Drone to Cellphone / Tablet, May not support for other device. it is a data cable, doesn't support for charging."

Whether it's true or not is another question.....

I know this has been discussed to death but there is still no solution. (no purchasing Apple device is not solution ?)
I can't believe there is still no third party accessory that would eliminate or drastically lower the charging current from controller to the display device on Android.
This issue is here for years and there is no takers? Pretty sure someone can make killing on that.
There is bunch of junk accessories made but nothing like this?

Anyone found app that can limit the charging current if you have rooted phone?
Note 8 has 1200 nits brightness and works great as controller display, beats any other device at this price.

Thanks
I did not have a problem with Android charging. When the droid device first detects the controller, you are given a choice of how to treat the USB connection, if you select data, Droid does no think the controller is a charging device. No third party needed. You will need to research how to reset the USB setting in the device so it can "forget" it ever saw the controller.

I did not have a problem with Android charging. When the droid device first detects the controller, you are given a choice of how to treat the USB connection, if you select data, Droid does no think the controller is a charging device. No third party needed. You will need to research how to reset the USB setting in the device so it can "forget" it ever saw the controller.
That was discussed before, not working on every device, yet have to see it successfully applied as well.

Actually, it does, in so many words:

"§ Please Note: This cable is specifical designed Compatible with DJI Drone to Cellphone / Tablet, May not support for other device. it is a data cable, doesn't support for charging."

Whether it's true or not is another question.....
That wording seems to me a warning not to use it for charging and not that it inhibits charging. That would mean the power wires don't support high currents needed for a timely charging of a phone/tablet. Which may explain why my cables seem to go bad rather quickly, though I believe it's more related to bending fatigue.

USB standards say a host device, RC in this case, must be capable of providing 500mA. The RC doesn't use any of the standard Android USB modes do it goes into "Charge Only" mode.
Even if it did use one of the standard USB modes, that doesn't say that the Android wouldn't also be charging. Only if there's a specific setting to disable charging would you know.

You can also check charging state from the power/battery section of Settings.

I get no charging icon, or battery loss on the RC after 20 minutes flying using a Pixel 4XL, so it seems that the voltage supplied via USB is too low to initiate charging on the phone, therefore it doesn't see the RC as a "powerbank" and ask it to ramp up the power.

That wording seems to me a warning not to use it for charging and not that it inhibits charging. That would mean the power wires don't support high currents needed for a timely charging of a phone/tablet. Which may explain why my cables seem to go bad rather quickly, though I believe it's more related to bending fatigue.

They're cheap. I guess the only way to find out is order one and try it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming