DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surprised there is no third party solution to the Android charging from controller problem.

Nice component.
Here's the problem: if the Android demands or tries to pull more current than the limiter allows, the voltage has to drop. If the voltage drops too low, the Android may drop the USB altogether.

Ohms law: V=IR. You can't get away from that. If Android applies an effective resistance to draw 500mA, and the limiter wants to cut the current down to 50mA, then the limiter has to drop the voltage.

Nice component.
Here's the problem: if the Android demands or tries to pull more current than the limiter allows, the voltage has to drop. If the voltage drops too low, the Android may drop the USB altogether.

Ohms law: V=IR. You can't get away from that. If Android applies an effective resistance to draw 500mA, and the limiter wants to cut the current down to 50mA, then the limiter has to drop the voltage.
Key word is may drop ....

That's been the experience for many when cutting the power lead and using resistors.

It seems one method does not fit all Androids. It seems to depend on USB hardware used and manufacturer implementation on power and charging, which is probably why DJI opted to adhere to USB 2.0 data standards: host must be able to deliver 500mA to a connected device.

Nice component.

If you limit your considerations to passive devices, that is a simple series resistor, yes the load will see a voltage drop. A more elegant solution is to use an active current limiting device, the voltage won’t drop to any significant degree. 100ma is within the permissible lower limit under USB2 standards. What he opens when you use an undersized regulated PSU to drive a lipo charger? The battery will still charge, it just takes longer- the voltage doesn’t sag to any appreciable degree.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Yes but how is an active current limiter to limit the current on a given load trying to exceed the current limit? It's only option is to reduce voltage, usually through an active resistance which creates the drop.

Look again at Ohm's law.

Now the device being limited may see the drop quick enough to back off it's load which an active device will follow better than a passive one.
Also unlike a passive one, an active limiter will maintain the intended voltage as long as the current limit isn't exceeded so there is that.

Oh and we're talking about an Android, not a LiPo battery being charged. Unlike a USB LiPo charger, we still need the Android to maintain the data connection.

Anyone try connecting a USB volt/amp meter between an RC and iOS with iOS charge mode turned off?

Oh and we're talking about an Android, not a LiPo battery being charged. Unlike a USB LiPo charger, we still need the Android to maintain the data connection.

Anyone try connecting a USB volt/amp meter between an RC and iOS with iOS charge mode turned off?
Have you tried reading the applicable USB standards? A USB2 device wont drop its data connection if it see's 100ma current available, it may disable charging though.

I stand corrected. But that applies to low power devices. High power devices can still fail at higher currents, though they need to start out at 100mA. Not sure what Androids classify themselves as and if that's uniform across all of them.

I guess a 560 ohm was too large. 50 ohm should work then, maybe a bit smaller.

Hopefully then the Android will see the limitation and not draw even 100mA continuously. 100mA is better than 500mA, but still can take a bit of a chunk out of the RC runtime.

I know this has been discussed to death but there is still no solution. (no purchasing Apple device is not solution ?)
I can't believe there is still no third party accessory that would eliminate or drastically lower the charging current from controller to the display device on Android.
This issue is here for years and there is no takers? Pretty sure someone can make killing on that.
There is bunch of junk accessories made but nothing like this?

Anyone found app that can limit the charging current if you have rooted phone?
Note 8 has 1200 nits brightness and works great as controller display, beats any other device at this price.

Thanks
This is still working. The inline meter is for demo purposes only. Fly was also running and the screen had been set to bright. Notes: MC receiving 172 mA@5V and phone charging at 240 mA. The MC is still using more power than it is drawing but after 4 flight batteries it had 2 dots showing. Phone had charged to 99%.

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20191211_195831.jpg
    20191211_195831.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191204_114706.jpg
    20191204_114706.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
I know this has been discussed to death but there is still no solution. (no purchasing Apple device is not solution ?)
I can't believe there is still no third party accessory that would eliminate or drastically lower the charging current from controller to the display device on Android.
This issue is here for years and there is no takers? Pretty sure someone can make killing on that.
There is bunch of junk accessories made but nothing like this?

Anyone found app that can limit the charging current if you have rooted phone?
Note 8 has 1200 nits brightness and works great as controller display, beats any other device at this price.

Thanks
If you have a rooted phone? Battery charge limit?

This thread is old and no one mentioned this?

There is... its a little adapter called charge blocker. Let me see if I can find that link
There is... its a little adapter called charge blocker. Let me see if I can find that link
Thats a screenshot I got of it last time someone brought it up. Look up charge blocker on you tube

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-125112_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210117-125112_Gallery.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 10
Interesting I saw that too. Just using an old droid phone rooted with battery limiter app. Works a treat.

We had brought up rooted phones and modules blocking charge, if not in this topic then in others.

Not all of us are willing to root our phones. I used to do it, but that then messes up getting phone system updates without having to wipe the phone. Changing the bootloader alone can cause an OTA update to fail.

Those charge blockers seem to do nothing more than cut off one or both of the power leads. Not all Androids will tolerate this and still accept a data connection. Probably most won't.

We had brought up rooted phones and modules blocking charge, if not in this topic then in others.

Not all of us are willing to root our phones. I used to do it, but that then messes up getting phone system updates without having to wipe the phone. Changing the bootloader alone can cause an OTA update to fail.

Those charge blockers seem to do nothing more than cut off one or both of the power leads. Not all Androids will tolerate this and still accept a data connection. Probably most won't.
Agree. Rooting the phone isn't a good thing and shouldn't be done. Especially if you use the phone for personal stuff like banking. All UK based banks block rooted phones and most seem on the ball to detect hidden root.

Thankfully I will just use this spare phone for the fly app and that's it.

It's the only thing I'm disappointed about with my DJI drone...so far.

Last edited:
One thing that could work safely (I still believe CareyL's solution is risky) is cut the power leads from the RC to the Android, and feed an external power source limited to 500mA.

Reactions: FlyBackOU812
Being on an equal footing with Apple / Ios in the matter of being able to turn off / turn on the charge of the mobile / tablet would be something that DJI should consider NOW ...

Being on an equal footing with Apple / Ios in the matter of being able to turn off / turn on the charge of the mobile / tablet would be something that DJI should consider NOW ...
They have considered it. But it's not their problem.

Code of connection for the interface is all controlled and mandated by the Android.

Although it is not a hardware issue thankfully. So my rooted old phone with is a oneplus 5, which is supported by DJi now doesn't charge unless I want it to.

Last edited:
Reactions: nafisgal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna