DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

Technology will always be improving, you spend the money on needs rather than wants and its money well spent.
So then, no anticipation of mavic air wireless communications improvements renders decisional migration unto bigger aircraft? That jump to bigger aircraft spells increased casualty mass (what? 50% heavier than mavic air?) Mass determines liabilities: collide with feather versus papaya mass

So then, no anticipation of mavic air wireless communications improvements renders decisional migration unto bigger aircraft? That jump to bigger aircraft spells increased casualty mass (what? 50% heavier than mavic air?) Mass determines liabilities: collide with feather versus papaya mass
Difficult to say. Occusync already generates quite a lot of heat so adds weight with fans and heatsinks which the air doesn't have. Is a WiFi drone and is already doing quite well with 4km range

With more and more places enforcing a LOS rule, I wonder if they will force DJI and other drone makers to cut back Occusync.

Hell only 200 ft. up and maybe 300 ft away, you don’t hear it not is it easy to see where it is, once you start looking at the screen to line up shots.

Difficult to say. Occusync already generates quite a lot of heat so adds weight with fans and heatsinks which the air doesn't have. Is a WiFi drone and is already doing quite well with 4km range
Yeah ranged but i am getting signal lost close radius even with brand new replacements not refurbished. Reason is crossing commercial air vehicles honolulu tourism industry air transports. I dont know if geo flags the consistent "strong approaching aircraft interference" or air vehicles are actually radiating radar interference onto mavic air and rc.

You have to consider this: entity has succeeded parceling 60watts into a size no more than a stick of butter volume. That in itself is a feat! Can you understand the girth of 60watts? Its a huge chunk. And being so undersized, comes special operatives. Operatives assure the delicate margins of operating conditions ( like max current drawn, charging pulsed rhythm, temperatures and so forth) arent violated. That 10day graced before auto relief is preset for reasons. I thought it was configurable never really stopped to peer at that particular apk configuration. Ive read dont press the button else it restarts countdown.
Words of widom: more user care vigilance is needed Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ for tropical climate operations.
Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.

Ive reached the point now all 3 of my batteries are so swollen underneath the slightest bang on the drone unlocks one side of the clip leaving the whole thing help on by just the clip on one side which is obviously a recipe for losing the drone if the other side detaches.
oh, ok, you folks got the occusync eater heater. that hardware drinks plenty current and dissipates waste heat from blowers and radiators. mine is mavic air, but if windy, attitude steepens to resist head on home return winds heating battery above norm, no sport mode for longevity.

Reactions: Former Member
oh, ok, you folks got the occusync eater heater. that hardware drinks plenty current and dissipates waste heat from blowers and radiators. mine is mavic air, but if windy, attitude steepens to resist head on home return winds heating battery above norm, no sport mode for longevity.

If you're fighting a headwind home, sport will automatically engage whether you like it or not. It kicks up the power so your drone doesnt get blown away. Mavic 2 also does this, MP/Spark do not.
I find the batteries on the M2 run much cooler on average than the MP and certainly more than the Air, unsure why yours are swelling but would be interesting to know root cause.
Yeah ranged but i am getting signal lost close radius even with brand new replacements not refurbished. Reason is crossing commercial air vehicles honolulu tourism industry air transports. I dont know if geo flags the consistent "strong approaching aircraft interference" or air vehicles are actually radiating radar interference onto mavic air and rc.

Occusync strength isnt so much the range but rather its ability to handle interference with Frequency hopping (FHSS). It will vary the channel from 5-10-20Mhz depending on interference and desired FPV qualiy. Occusync 2.0 gives us 5.8Ghz which basically translates to more room to move in a congested radio environment. If you're ever in the Go4 app, you can go to the image transmission status and watch it do its things, its quite impressive. Autel Evo has a similar feature.

The Air on the other hand locks 20Mhz channel on takeoff and you basically stuck with that. Any interference along the way and feed will eventually cut out and RTH initiates. On 2.4Ghz on the Air for me its basically useless, 5.8Ghz on the other hand much better.

If you're fighting a headwind home, sport will automatically engage whether you like it or not. It kicks up the power so your drone doesnt get blown away. Mavic 2 also does this, MP/Spark do not.....
What are the wind velocities where this happens? Just wondering, not disputing, as I have never seen it in up to 20-22 mph head wind.

One thing I do whenever possible is fly away against the wind and fly back with it so that I don’t get an auto land due to low battery.

What are the wind velocities where this happens? Just wondering, not disputing, as I have never seen it in up to 20-22 mph head wind.
I'm speaking metric but no wind is 30km/h, so when the headwind brings it down to ~20km/h or so, it kicks in. Keep an eye on the flight time and you'll see when it happens the drone speeds up and flight time reduces significantly. The range of motion of the gimbal is also somewhat reduced and points you down a few degrees due to the angle/attitude drone is flying at. The Go4 app also has an attitude indicator if you're using your phone, you can flip back and forth between attitude indicator and map view, or on a tablet, you get both due to screen real-estate.

Also worth mentioning its not really "sports mode" per se, but rather think of it as limited sports mode, it will kick in the extra power to maintain the 30km/h on the AIr or 50km/h on the Mavic 2. You can still engage sports mode switch and get a little extra speed depending on the headwind.

One thing I do whenever possible is fly away against the wind and fly back with it so that I don’t get an auto land due to low battery.
I do also but sometimes the wind can kick up out of nowhere (very common over open water) so need to be careful you dont go too far out.

Last edited:
I'm speaking metric but no wind is 30km/h, so when the headwind brings it down to ~20km/h or so, it kicks in. Keep an eye on the flight time and you'll see when it happens the drone speeds up and flight time reduces significantly. The range of motion of the gimbal is also somewhat reduced and points you down a few degrees due to the angle/attitude drone is flying at. The Go4 app also has an attitude indicator if you're using your phone, you can flip back and forth between attitude indicator and map view, or on a tablet, you get both due to screen real-estate.

Also worth mentioning its not really "sports mode" per se, but rather think of it as limited sports mode, it will kick in the extra power to maintain the 30km/h on the AIr or 50km/h on the Mavic 2. You can still engage sports mode switch and get a little extra speed depending on the headwind.

I do also but sometimes the wind can kick up out of nowhere (very common over open water) so need to be careful you dont go too far out.
Thx, understand now.

Thanks mavicn00b. Ok mavic air is doomed in metropolis chattering interference because it is 20megahertz takeoff and locked. Why not change the 20MHz on the fly sensing adverse interfere?

The Air on the other hand locks 20Mhz channel on takeoff and you basically stuck with that. Any interference along the way and feed will eventually cut out and RTH initiates. On 2.4Ghz on the Air for me its basically useless, 5.8Ghz on the other hand much better

Must research what mankind infrastructure broadcasts are interfering this 20MHz locked on mavic sir. What are they? Is there an analyzer that inventories and identifies? Then you would be aware and still could not fly too

Reactions: mavicn00b

Yes, articulated mavic air wifi works well providing a conducive playground free from REALITY interferes. Times have changed the free playground into storming congests. Rendering rc control obsolete due to the change, the ubiquitous stormings of interfere by infrastructure

The Air on the other hand locks 20Mhz channel on takeoff and you basically stuck with that. Any interference along the way and feed will eventually cut out and RTH initiates. On 2.4Ghz on the Air for me its basically useless, 5.8Ghz on the other hand much better

Must research what mankind infrastructure broadcasts are interfering this 20MHz locked on mavic sir. What are they? Is there an analyzer that inventories and identifies? Then you would be aware and still could not fly too
That's why you get the nice picture quality on the fpv feed. More bandwidth equals better picture but more likely to interference. Use 5ghz band for less interference if you can. 10mhz is more like spark quality.

Thanks mavicn00b. Ok mavic air is doomed in metropolis chattering interference because it is 20megahertz takeoff and locked. Why not change the 20MHz on the fly sensing adverse interfere?
Less bandwidth lower quality picture. Occusync adjusts this dynamically and jumped to clean frequency, it handles interference as best it can. It costs more but well worth it if you fly in congested area. WiFi is ok if you fly close by or in country area with no interference.

That's why you get the nice picture quality on the fpv feed. More bandwidth equals better picture but more likely to interference. Use 5ghz band for less interference if you can. 10mhz is more like spark quality.

Then should unload thruput by video degrade? Is it configureable? Dont want craft to downgrade its 4k but relayed visual to screen prudently shouldnt bog down otherwise why knowingly even design for it to congest prioritized bidirectional data?

As for apk configuring auto seek optimal drive frequency, the lower 2.4Ghz guzzles less fuel radius versus radius for rc control integrity, EXCEPT in unfavorable broadcast storming environments.

The infrastructure here of islandwide dedicated police fire ambulance civil defense repeater towers operating at unknown rhythm is likely very powerful although does in interfere? I thought interfere must be a relational frequency?

Last edited:
No it seems to cuout completely. Occusync degrades by dropping the bandwidth and lowering bitrate while also jumping to another frequency. If condition improved, picture quality also improves. I also should mention that antenna position is important and those little windsurfer antenna reflectors help a little propagate a little further before it cuts out. Gaining a little altitude might also help.

Well, this whole business of rc recreational has been legacy enjoyed free from interfere until present day societal congests of interfere.

challenges to circumvent interferes are mere guzzlers of fuel, a far outcry of wasted fuel, just to overcome the radiated mankind interferes.

wouldnt it be so much easier if mavic air and rc could just ignore the interference infringe? is it even accomplishable for devices to easily identify then deflect obvious interfere?

Havn't read all the thread so apologies if repeating a point but, IMO the preset 10 day pause before the M2 batteries self discharge to a storage state is far too long
if you are regularly leaving fully charged batteries sitting and thinking it's ok, they will auto-discharge in 10 days I believe you will greatly reduce their life

DJI needs to lower the preset or allow a user setting, but perhaps it is not in their interests to do so

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead