DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swelling batteries

So it appears bloating end result is casualty. So it appears mishap bloating apparently relates to the common denominator heat. And heat relates back to the flown environment. Too hot spells recharging disaster.
Yes, heat that is in excess of specifications and keeping the battery fully charged can destroy the battery.

Yes, heat that is in excess of specifications and keeping the battery fully charged can destroy the battery.
Okay, cynicism rears its ugly head.

Why has DJI locked in the autodischarge to 10 days? Do they want us to have to replace batteries more often? :mad:

I have to admit that while I've had passing interest in my various rechargeable devices (multiple vacuums, cellphones, tablet and laptops, lawn mower and chain saw and cameras and watches and earphone and now new hearing aides and now drones and controllers both normal and SMART) and their batteries and "enrolled" in the Battery University course work a few times, I've never been very ocd about any of it.

My head is about to explode and that's without any lithium battery devices on said head! :)

Why has DJI locked in the autodischarge to 10 days? Do they want us to have to replace batteries more often? :mad:

I have to admit that while I've had passing interest in my various rechargeable devices (multiple vacuums, cellphones, tablet and laptops, lawn mower and chain saw and cameras and watches and earphone and now new hearing aides and now drones and controllers both normal and SMART) and their batteries and "enrolled" in the Battery University course work a few times, I've never been very ocd about any of it.

My head is about to explode and that's without any lithium battery devices on said head! :)
You have to consider this: entity has succeeded parceling 60watts into a size no more than a stick of butter volume. That in itself is a feat! Can you understand the girth of 60watts? Its a huge chunk. And being so undersized, comes special operatives. Operatives assure the delicate margins of operating conditions ( like max current drawn, charging pulsed rhythm, temperatures and so forth) arent violated. That 10day graced before auto relief is preset for reasons. I thought it was configurable never really stopped to peer at that particular apk configuration. Ive read dont press the button else it restarts countdown.
Words of widom: more user care vigilance is needed for tropical climate operations.

Reactions: Former Member
About that 10day graced period before auto self discharge down to twothirds full: you can websearch the pinouts and rig up a two point two kilo ohm 2watt load resistor but you gotta monitor dc volts descending until apprx twothirds of full 12volts which is eight volts. I think its best lowering slowly, easier to respond as dc volts deflates.

That is an interesting point and raises another question. The M2 battery is set to auto discharge after 10 days. At the moment, that is set in stone. It will discharge itself down to let's say 60% by the end of the 10th day.

My question is does it discharge itself linearly over the 10 days? For example, if you start day 1 at 100%, would the end of day 2 be 96%?

My math:

Day 1 = 100%
Day 2 = 96% (100% - 60% / 10 days)
Day 3 = 92%
Day 4 = 88%

I don't like the percentages for days 2, 3 and 4. Those percentages are, to me, too high to store a lipo battery for 4 days plus the other few days until it is depleted to storage level.

I probably sound like a broken record, but if I'm not going to be flying after I fully charge a pack, I at least hover it down to 60% or less. There are other ways to discharge a battery such as charging your accessories or your controller through the power bank adapter, but I prefer flying because it gives me satisfaction plus it drains the battery faster.

Last edited:
That is an interesting point and raises another question. The M2 battery is set to auto discharge after 10 days. At the moment, that is set in stone. It will discharge itself down to let's say 60% by the end of the 10th day.

My question is does it discharge itself linearly over the 10 days? For example, if you start day 1 at 100%, would the end of day 2 be 96%?

My math:

Day 1 = 100%
Day 2 = 96% (100% - 60% / 10 days)
Day 3 = 92%
Day 4 = 88%

I don't like the percentages for days 2, 3 and 4. Though those are, to me too high to store a lipo battery for 4 days plus the other few days until it is depleted to storage level.

I probably sound like a broken record, but if I'm not going to be flying after I fully charge a pack, I at least hover it down to 60% or less. There are other ways to discharge a battery such as charging your accessories or your controller through the charging hub but I prefer flying because it gives me satisfaction plus it drains the battery faster.
There is a discharger apparatus online search it. Your other option is build simple load resistor and drain caustiously downward.

There is a discharger apparatus online search it. Your other option is build simple load resistor and drain caustiously downward.

Thats great information. I found this online. Its not a rapid discharger, its only 1c meaning it will take an hour to discharge the battery, but its still a good idea.

Phantom Angel

A rapid discharger would be a great idea for the MP and M2. Rapid discharging a 4s M2 battery could power alot things...

Here if uploadable, pretty informing of entrapment troubles

Attachments

• Drone Battery Maintenance _ Heliguy.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I was wondering: nothing ever was said of freezer damage. to fly, slow gradual warm 1st, a battery condition freezer stowed battery. Condensation will violate esp in high humidity tropics though. In other words, say anarctica filming battery violates environment documentation restrictions. Thats better than hot zone such as equatorial doldrums since the molecular activity (as a function of being heated) within imparts irreversible change, not good

Last edited:
About that 10day graced period before auto self discharge down to twothirds full: you can websearch the pinouts and rig up a two point two kilo ohm 2watt load resistor but you gotta monitor dc volts descending until apprx twothirds of full 12volts which is eight volts. I think its best lowering slowly, easier to respond as dc volts deflates.
There is bad information here. Fully charged standard chemistry single cell lipo is ~4.2 volts, fully discharged is ~ 3.0 volts. A Mavic 2 battery contains 4 cells therefore fully charged (100%) is ~16.8 volts and fully discharged (0%) is about 12 volts; as well DJI may very well have programmed different high/low limits. Fastest way to discharge is to hover; if not possible use the adapter and charge your phone/tablet etc. but it is slow - I charged my phone last night from a fully charged M2 battery, took an hour to take the phone from 20% to 100% and only took 15% off the M2 battery.

It would be great to have a maintenance charger that either charged or discharged the battery to a user-preset level like 65%.

his is a great idea and more chargers should have a storage charge feature

I just took delivery of that RC Geeks charger and I was hoping that it would be able to discharge batt's but alas, it doesn't. What it does is, bring depleted batts up to storage level. That part works as advertised and so far, it seems to be a very good charger as well.

I just took delivery of that RC Geeks charger and I was hoping that it would be able to discharge batt's but alas, it doesn't. What it does is, bring depleted batts up to storage level. That part works as advertised and so far, it seems to be a very good charger as well.

Thats a shame. That would have worked well as an integral unit.

Many chargers have built-in dischargers, but they only discharge at around 1amp max. There are higher end chargers that can discharge at 30 amps.

I think the good news is that DJI Lipos can use most aftermarket battery dischargers since DJI batteries have internal cell balancers to make sure the cells are charged and discharged evenly. The challenge would be to find a way to connect the Mavic battery to the discharger. A simple Mavic plug to XT60 adapter would work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilomikebravo
There is bad information here. Fully charged standard chemistry single cell lipo is ~4.2 volts, fully discharged is ~ 3.0 volts. A Mavic 2 battery contains 4 cells therefore fully charged (100%) is ~16.8 volts and fully discharged (0%) is about 12 volts; as well DJI may very well have programmed different high/low limits. Fastest way to discharge is to hover; if not possible use the adapter and charge your phone/tablet etc. but it is slow - I charged my phone last night from a fully charged M2 battery, took an hour to take the phone from 20% to 100% and only took 15% off the M2 battery.

It would be great to have a maintenance charger that either charged or discharged the battery to a user-preset level like 65%.
Greatest is analyzer examines intrinsic deterioration inside thats slowly degrading capacity. Analizer would chart best fit recourse on stowing voltage datums as battery life wears down. I'm wondering what the analyzer in particular would be measuring

Greatest is analyzer examines intrinsic deterioration inside thats slowly degrading capacity. Analizer would chart best fit recourse on stowing voltage datums as battery life wears down. I'm wondering what the analyzer in particular would be measuring
In the case of an aftermarket discharger, it would be measuring total battery voltage instead of individual cell voltage. It's really not a problem because individual cell voltage in A DJI battery is able to stay within close tolerances due to the internal balancer.

Still, when battery voltage got down to approximately storage voltage, I would pull the battery off the discharger and stick it in the mavick to see how close the mavick measurement of voltage is compared to the discharger.

One of my best friends that I race RC cars with is a battery guru and fanatic. He used to build his own nimh and nicad racing packs and match the cells voltages and discharge abilities to each other so that they would be uniform throughout the pack. He is extremely festidious in what he does and whenever I have a question about a battery I ask him. If you ask him how often discharges his packs he will tell you he charges them up before a race and discharges them to storage after, every single time. I learned from the master. His batteries never failed.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
In the case of an aftermarket discharger, it would be measuring total battery voltage instead of individual cell voltage. It's really not a problem because individual cell voltage in A DJI battery is able to stay within close tolerances due to the internal balancer.

Still, when battery voltage got down to approximately storage voltage, I would pull the battery off the discharger and stick it in the mavick to see how close the mavick measurement of voltage is compared to the discharger.

One of my best friends that I race RC cars with is a battery guru and fanatic. He used to build his own nimh and nicad racing packs and match the cells voltages and discharge abilities to each other so that they would be uniform throughout the pack. He is extremely festidious in what he does and whenever I have a question about a battery I ask him. If you ask him how often discharges his packs he will tell you he charges them up before a race and discharges them to storage after, every single time. I learned from the master. His batteries never failed.
Thankyou thankyou thunderdrones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580