DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sydney Harbour

ROY96

Reactions
I see numerous Youtube drone footage taken around Sydney Harbour and other areas where drones are apparently off limits. Have these videos been shot legally?
OTOH have these people got special permission, and if so how does one go about getting that permission?

Some may have Roy.
I recall seeing one ladys video of Sydney Harbour right around the opera house and bridge, she did heave special permission.

All the others ?
I doubt very much permissions could be gained, maybe for GOVCO type promotions / media at certain times.

As you have probably seen CIFT or OpenSky apps, most of the harbour is off limits, most of Botany Bay due to airport locality, but then also councils and of course SHFA ban flights, due to amount of ferry / heli use through there.

City of Sydney may have some areas under their control, they have info here Filming and photography permits - City of Sydney

More likely the busy part of the harbour is more likely SHFA . . . I think it'd be a nightmare trying to get to the right place here to ask . . . http://www.shfa.nsw.gov.au/sydney-Resource_centre-Permits_and_applications.htm
Nothing specific I could find.

Some may have Roy.
I recall seeing one ladys video of Sydney Harbour right around the opera house and bridge, she did heave special permission.

All the others ?
I doubt very much permissions could be gained, maybe for GOVCO type promotions / media at certain times.

As you have probably seen CIFT or OpenSky apps, most of the harbour is off limits, most of Botany Bay due to airport locality, but then also councils and of course SHFA ban flights, due to amount of ferry / heli use through there.

City of Sydney may have some areas under their control, they have info here Filming and photography permits - City of Sydney

More likely the busy part of the harbour is more likely SHFA . . . I think it'd be a nightmare trying to get to the right place here to ask . . . http://www.shfa.nsw.gov.au/sydney-Resource_centre-Permits_and_applications.htm
Nothing specific I could find.
Sydney Harbour has been droned by broadcasters of the 18 footers sailing races operating from camera cats.