DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take and use drone in Mexico (Cancun)

Andres L

Reactions
Hi everyone, in a few days I am going to travel to Mexico (specifically Cancun), and I was wondering if I could take my drone there, because I have saw many articles that says that foreign people can’t fly over Mexico, that just citizens with a certificate can do that.
Also, I have heard that people (foreign and citizens) just ignored the “bad written drone law”, and if we fly it, we don’t have any problems.
So please, if you guys have went to Mexico with your drone, I would really like what happened with you. Something like the Mexican authorities ask you to pay a tax at the airport or cops confiscated the drone; whatever you have experienced.
I would also want to know what things I need to do when traveling with a drone from another country, because this will be, MAYBE, my first time taking my drone to another country.

PD: my drone is the Mavic Air, maybe I won’t get into too many problems...

Hope to get the answer as soon as possible!

Hi everyone, in a few days I am going to travel to Mexico (specifically Cancun), and I was wondering if I could take my drone there, because I have saw many articles that says that foreign people can’t fly over Mexico, that just citizens with a certificate can do that.
Also, I have heard that people (foreign and citizens) just ignored the “bad written drone law”, and if we fly it, we don’t have any problems.
So please, if you guys have went to Mexico with your drone, I would really like what happened with you. Something like the Mexican authorities ask you to pay a tax at the airport or cops confiscated the drone; whatever you have experienced.
I would also want to know what things I need to do when traveling with a drone from another country, because this will be, MAYBE, my first time taking my drone to another country.

PD: my drone is the Mavic Air, maybe I won’t get into too many problems...

Hope to get the answer as soon as possible!
Maybe try the search function on the forum first?....

There are more......

There are more......

I have looked at all those forums, but everyone have had different experiences while traveling to Mexico with the drone.
So I would like to have like a concrete answer.

I have looked at all those forums, but everyone have had different experiences while traveling to Mexico with the drone.
So I would like to have like a concrete answer.
Well if every one I have linked to is different how do you know if you get another answer it's going to be correct?

I would educate yourself on the most up to date UAV laws appertaining to the country you are flying to.

Reactions: Dan C
Legality of flying for non-citizens is well defined... Not legally.
So make your own choice with knowledge that you may, among other things, lose your drone. Probabilities don’t matter if you are the one.

Reactions: PAW and Bigbird48

There are more......

Two years ago I stayed at Iberostar Riviera Maya I think was the name of the hotel. I was flying on the beach and the hotel security of the actual hotel I was staying at decided to call the Mexican police on me for flying the drone on the beach. They even threaten to evict me from the hotel. I stood my ground, showed them the laws in Mexico and kept flying. I was always over water. I actually captured the whole thing and posted a video about it on YouTube.

The reasons why you get so many answers is because Mexico is never consistent.

I arrive there as a crew member, so as a result, I go thru customs differently than you would.
But what is interesting, is that when I go to Cabo San Lucas, no one gives me grief, and I can fly there.

When I go to Puerto Vallarta, They won't let me take the drone to the hotel. Ironically, they say that if I would have arrived as a passenger, I would have been fine.

Go figure...

Reactions: dawgpilot
@Andres L - Hi Andres, interesting to see your post on checking if we can fly drones in Cancun as a tourist. I am travelling there myself in the next few days and wondered if you already had your trip and if you had any issues flying your drone there?

As you mentioned, there is so much ambiguity on the internet about rules and whether you can and cannot fly in Cancun.

Would appreciate if you can let me know your experience with in Cancun.

Thanks,
Hit

Went to Mexico last year(2018) with my Mavic Air. No troubles in the airport, it was on a backpack(carry on), no issues on the immigration. There are areas that you cannot fly, like the Chichen Itza(Mexican Pyramid), there was a No Drone zone sign there. I just flew around the resort early in the mornings, or when there are less people in the area. So far no troubles.

DJI_0027.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS