DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Telemetry Overlay and more data tools

Hi!

For the last 3-4 years I've been working and experimenting with the GPS and other sensor data in DJI drones and action cameras. All the learnings have now materialised in this standalone app for creating telemetry overlays on videos:

Some of the previous utilities I have released (some free, some paid) are:

SRT Viewer: Visualizes the SRT flight logs on a map and converts them to multiple formats
Subtitle Extractor: For the drones that do not create an SRT file with the subtitle data but embed it in the mp4 file, this extracts it to SRT
Telemetry Template for Adobe After Effects: Uses the recorded data to create customizable dashboard elements in Adobe After Effects
3D Maps in Google Earth: Just a tutorial on how to create animated flight paths withGoogle Earth pro
Telemetry Overlay: The new standalone app I was talking about

I hope you find some of these useful. Happy to answer questions.
Do you plan to develop a Telemetry Template for Final Cut Pro X, or is one needed if you have the standalone Telemetry Overlay?

Reactions: dmurphynj
Do you plan to develop a Telemetry Template for Final Cut Pro X, or is one needed if you have the standalone Telemetry Overlay?
It's unlikely. Although I have worked with FCP in the past, I'm not familiar with its scripting system (if it has one).

What I would suggest is to use Telemetry Overlay and export your project with an alpha background so you can use the outcome in your FCP edit.

It's unlikely. Although I have worked with FCP in the past, I'm not familiar with its scripting system (if it has one).

What I would suggest is to use Telemetry Overlay and export your project with an alpha background so you can use the outcome in your FCP edit.

How is that done? I think that solution would likely be the smoothest workflow and prevent double video export and the resulting loss of quality .

Hi Chris, Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

The first one is already available, if I understand it correctly. Just load multiple video files at once in the Video section and both the videos and their telemetry will combine as a single, continuous project.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

The first one is already available, if I understand it correctly. Just load multiple video files at once in the Video section and both the videos and their telemetry will combine as a single, continuous project.

The second one, I will add to the to-do list. The drawback I see is when skipping the optimization process with h265 footage, the video will not be playable in the program, even with a high-end PC, so I need to make sure less advanced users don't disable that by mistake and then think something is broken. But I like the idea.
Ah, didn't know that was an option. Is there text on the import page that informs the end user of that? Don't recall, I'll play more tonight.

How is that done? I think that solution would likely be the smoothest workflow and prevent double video export and the resulting loss of quality .
In the Export section, instead of "Finished video" format, choose "Transparent video". Then you can choose the ProRes (4444) codec (widely compatible, but expect huge files) or QT RLE (more compressed, still good quality but might have compatibility issues in some programs)

Reactions: ChrisOutdoors

Ok, great. Your order form has a space for coupon codes. Are any available for the Overlay at this time?

Reactions: 0Kajuna0
In the Export section, instead of "Finished video" format, choose "Transparent video". Then you can choose the ProRes (4444) codec (widely compatible, but expect huge files) or QT RLE (more compressed, still good quality but might have compatibility issues in some programs)

This is exactly what I needed, much easier now as I can use PP/AE and import the overlay and allow PP to handle the video export.

Next issue, when I load multiple videos; how do I select the order I want them in?

This is exactly what I needed, much easier now as I can use PP/AE and import the overlay and allow PP to handle the video export.

Next issue, when I load multiple videos; how do I select the order I want them in?
The program will look for the video creation time and use that to sort them. If the time is missing, it will look for the file date, and if the creation times of your videos are identical, it will sort alphabetically.

The program will look for the video creation time and use that to sort them. If the time is missing, it will look for the file date, and if the creation times of your videos are identical, it will sort alphabetically.
Ok, if those are the parameters it's not working right. Continually puts what should be the last video in front. A way to manually adjust the order would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, if those are the parameters it's not working right. Continually puts what should be the last video in front. A way to manually adjust the order would be greatly appreciated.
Will see what I can do. I suppose your files are too large to upload them somewhere so I can have a look? Feel free to send me an email. Actually if you just send me the project file I can make some deductions from that.

I might add the option to always sort alphabetically.

A software update was recently published. You can now load CSV logs from AirData (it's pretty easy to sync your flights there) and create many more gauges, like Heading, Gimbal position, Thumbsticks position... here's an example

Using both the video subtitles and AirData is ideal, as the two data sources complement eachother in terms of sync, data streams...

Some other issues raised in this thread (like sorting files alphabetically) have also been addressed in recent versions.

Reactions: halifax
Seems very nice tool. Agree that $100 is too high for nice to have tool. Wish they can lower the price for professional user...
Good morning and WELCOME to the forum :)

Usually Professional Users pay a HIGHER price for products & services.

Reactions: halifax
Can this software handle 5.4K video files?

will it display text field values or just numeric values?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Seems very nice tool. Agree that $100 is too high for nice to have tool. Wish they can lower the price for professional user...
Good morning and WELCOME to the forum :)

Usually Professional Users pay a HIGHER price for products & services.
My mistake. I meant "Non-professional user instead.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can this software handle 5.4K video files?

will it display text field values or just numeric values?
Yes. It does handle 5.4K (and 8K) video. Exporting at that resolution is slow, though.

It can read text fields from CSV columns. Do you need them from some other data format?

Hi new here on last Sunday I did a update on my DJI go4 app and M2P but now my iPhone 11 won’t link to the Aircraft but dji go4 has not been updated on my iPad and it’s working.

is anyone else having the same issues and how to fix it I can’t always fly with iPad being I often launch from back of boats

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada