DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Air 2s in no way should be compared to the Mini 3 Pro. The Air 2s is a far superior aircraft.

I own both the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro. I could make a comparison but they are for two different uses for me. The Air 2S is the stronger of the two, more capable in adverse conditions and more solid feeling since it is not built to weigh less than 250g. The Mini 3 is better for me when around people or when doing a quick flight in an area where people might have opinions about drones. It appears to people that are unaware less like a drone and more like a toy. We know it performs better than that, much better, but if the general public does not know that you are able to use it in many more places without issue. Away from the public, or even near in higher winds, the Air 2S is my choice. I like both and like having the options.

I find in use, now with the RC Pro working with both to compare like for like, the Mini 3 has a much shorter range. My Mini 2 was better. I see drops at 1500’ out in places my Air 2S has full signal. Right now, city flying might be iffy with the Mini 3 but so far no negative outcome just catches you off guard when you can see the drone and cant control it for a few seconds while it regains connection. It makes the Air 2S the choice more often because it can go farther than I can see without a drop at all. I’m not suggesting BVLOS, I’m saying it can hit the range of my sight and still have a strong signal but you know what I mean.
I really have to agree on signal strength alone. Using the RC Pro with both birds is eye opening.

I don't have air2s, but I can agree with topic starter. I own mavic3+rcpro and mini3+rc. And I rarely use mini3 for following reasons. I don't like to spend much time postprocessing videos, just simple cuts, no work with lighting. And videos from mini3 frequently comes overexposed or if I use ND's, some scenes of the same video is overexposed while others are underexposed. With mavic 3 I almost never get this problem. Video made with quickshots are way more shaking/jumpy with mini3. FocusTrack is constantly loosing subject on mini3, I would say it is unusable. Btw, FocusTrack on Mavic 3 is a lot better, but not as good as ActiveTrack on Mavic 2 Pro was.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Amen to the Air2S! I have just bought a AIR2S FMC and the only comparison that I can make is against my Phantom 3S. For me the range (distance) on the P3 was always an issue and I learned to fly it the hard and nervous way, even with Litchi. I flew a progress mission on a construction site with my A2S this morning and haven’t stop smiling. At 78 years my e-bike extended my cycling by 10 years and my Mavic Air has extended my drone experience by the same! Hallelujah

Okay, my opinion.

All consumer-level drones (including the M2 and M3) are (kind of) toy drones. Yes, you read that correctly. They all are stabilized flying computers, and the only thing the pilot has to do is learning how it respond to the sticks. It even auto returns to the home point in case the battery is empty (you could prevent that - but that is reckless behavior and beyond the scope of this).

I owned a Mini 2 and own a Mavic 2 now, and maybe an M3P to complement it in the future because of regulations (I live in Europe). I don't think the difference in flying between those 2 drones is big, but in the wind it makes makes a heck of a difference - agreed. I think the sub 250 gram rule is a bit on the conservative side though.

I also don't really understand the controller debate. All the controllers (Smart (RM500), RC (RM330), and RC PRO (RM510)) are android tablets fit in a different case with sticks and buttons. They all run the same 'DJI Fly' app, which in my opinion is a joke compared to the DJI Go app in terms of functionality. And there is no reason this functionality can't exist in the new app other then marketing and product segregation.

What really differs between them is the camera module. That is what makes the image quality difference. I don't own a drone to 'fly', I used it as a tool: capturing imaging from perspectives you can't get to without a drone. And that's where - again - in my opinion - these things are made for.

Bite me.

All the controllers (Smart (RM500), RC (RM330), and RC PRO (RM510)) are android tablets fit in a different case with sticks and buttons.
They are more restricted than android tablets. For example you can't download videos from drone to RC (RM330).

They are more restricted than android tablets. For example you can't download videos from drone to RC (RM330).

I meant it as a technical comparison - their controllers are (well, except for the 'new' RC maybe) all overpriced. This locking down is an artificial limit imposed by DJI, the hardware is capable of running other apps just fine.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I meant it as a technical comparison - their controllers are (well, except for the 'new' RC maybe) all overpriced. This locking down is an artificial limit imposed by DJI, the hardware is capable of running other apps just fine.
True, DJI has always locked down their Android controllers... all of them beginning with the Crystal Sky. Their original viewpoint was a dedicated device, without miscellaneous 3rd party apps. The OS was used for their purposes, not as a End User Android tablet.

Using earlier Android devices, I can understand their position... all devices were underpowered & relatively slow.

Newer devices, I'm not fully in agreement with DJI... I continue to understand their position to control their devices. As the major Player in consumer drones, their need to CYA and sheild liabilities is understandable in this over the top law suit environment.

Although newer higher end processors & storage within controllers with built in tablets shoud allow Google Play store and access to 3rd Party Apps. Several Apps are directly related to Drone usage. Although I acknowledge that that open access could be excessive and some might complain of low storage and performance.

Other than processor, performance, build and overall quality ranging from minimal to higher quality. The RC Pro offers much more in available controls that can be assigned for additional Pilot Interface.

The extra control features and premium build is worth the additional price tag to many.

The price point, although higher than desired isn't out of range compared to other brands. If DJI Marketing felt sales were below expectations, you'd see sales or price drops... none of which has occurred yet.

The price of Mavic 3 vs Cine model can be debated too... but to many is justified, accepted and purchased.

DJI in my opinion, using other Brands isn't out of range on price in comparison, features, performance and resale.

No matter how you look at it - in my opinion - after I purchased it, it's my own device. I want to do with my device what I want to do with it - even if it means playing Doom on the controller just for fun.

I don't know how the DMA law in Europe is going to play out, but it might create a possibility to force DJI to open things up.

No matter how you look at it - in my opinion - after I purchased it, it's my own device. I want to do with my device what I want to do with it - even if it means playing Doom on the controller just for fun.

I don't know how the DMA law in Europe is going to play out, but it might create a possibility to force DJI to open things up.
I understand your position, although devices with firmware or operating system are everywhere and not able to override... easily. You can side load any Android device if determined.

Cameras, TV's, Car Navigation systems, etc... many running on OS that's not configurable outside of their designs. DJI has NFZ & altitude limitations (able to hack on older crafts) primary to protect themselves from legal suits & actions that wouldn't focus much on the "individual", more toward Company that's perceived as allowing the improper action. I personally like the NFZ hacks, to eliminate restrictions not implimented or restricted by FAA.

Good luck on the DMA law... I doubt that'll have any impact to DJI RC controller open tablet OS... as mentioned, the legal positions that can easily be argued.

The question should be better at what. They are very different and each has advantages over the other. Best is a personal decision depending on your unique needs. You can get into real trouble trying to be absolute about a subjective topic. IMO.

I'll say again: the nearly 40% longer max flight time with the Mini 3 has a lot of value for me. I just got back from a 2 week trip to the mountains of the Oregon/Nevada desert, and that extra flight time allowed me to do things and go further along interesting paths without having to worry about making to home safely

at this point I can't come close to justifying the cost of the Mavic 3, but I'm also having a hard time justifying the cost of an Air 2s because of the flight time. I statrted on a Mini 2 and I was often frustrated by that flight time limitation. That's not there with the Mini 3

Reactions: Flashheart
Mini 3 = boys and their toys.

Air 2S = men and their equipment.
In almost all cases, the operator is more important than the tool.
In a parallel universe, put a Hasselblad X2D in the hands of an amateur and an iPhone 13 in the hands of a pro and send them out to shoot in and compare the results in a shoot-out. Who do you think is going to win 99.9% of the time?

In a parallel universe, put a Hasselblad X2D in the hands of an amateur and an iPhone 13 in the hands of a pro and send them out to shoot in and compare the results in a shoot-out. Who do you think is going to win 99.9% of the time?
exactly...that "boys & toys; men & equipment" just seems condescending

my goal is not to be professional. I doubt I'll ever post a youtube video. I just want nice videos and photos from my flights that I can have & share for memories.

all I have to do is go to the video/photo thread here to know I have a lot to learn about both. And not only do I see plenty of videos/photos taken with a Mini 3 every bit as good as those taken with an Air 2s, I see plenty of spectacular footage taken with a Mini 2. I could have an Air 2s right now and I know the video I'd capture with it would be no better than I what I capture with the Mini 3. And the reason for that is me & my skills, not the drone or camera

I've also seen enough to know that if I truly got better at using the camera and post-processing, and wanted to graduate from "toy" to "equipment" I'd buy a Mavic 3, not and Air 2s

Reactions: old man mavic
@moldorf ,well said fellow flyer ,i fly purely for the pleasure it gives me ,and a way of gathering memories ,from places that i could not access without a drone ,its what makes you happy that matters

Reactions: Amit Dunsky
So what you’re saying is, that a professional can take a better pic than an amateur, even with drastically inferior equipment? Great. We agree, the Mini 3 is inferior 👍🏻

@moldorf ,well said fellow flyer ,i fly purely for the pleasure it gives me ,and a way of gathering memories ,from places that i could not access without a drone ,its what makes you happy that matters
Sweeping statement…“It’s what makes you happy that matters” to you. It matters to you.

“It’s what makes me happy that matters” I fixed it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78