DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Air 2s in no way should be compared to the Mini 3 Pro. The Air 2s is a far superior aircraft.

exactly...that "boys & toys; men & equipment" just seems condescending

my goal is not to be professional. I doubt I'll ever post a youtube video. I just want nice videos and photos from my flights that I can have & share for memories.

all I have to do is go to the video/photo thread here to know I have a lot to learn about both. And not only do I see plenty of videos/photos taken with a Mini 3 every bit as good as those taken with an Air 2s, I see plenty of spectacular footage taken with a Mini 2. I could have an Air 2s right now and I know the video I'd capture with it would be no better than I what I capture with the Mini 3. And the reason for that is me & my skills, not the drone or camera

I've also seen enough to know that if I truly got better at using the camera and post-processing, and wanted to graduate from "toy" to "equipment" I'd buy a Mavic 3, not and Air 2s
This is hardly objective. You’re clearly upset and offended by the fact I view your drone as a toy (by comparison).

It’s great you’re happy with the Mini, it has a place in the market for sure. You pretty much say you have no clue about drones and photography though, soooo?

I compare the DJI RC and the RC Pro as a budget laptop and a gaming laptop - I wonder if you have the DJI RC and (like others) compare them as equal too?

The progression from toy to Mavic 3 makes perfect sense - skipping the Air 2S - but only because it’s due for a successor.

The Air 2S is, in fact, the best all-round-drone DJI make - I don’t think there will be another like it.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Server glitch. Deleted and reposted

Last edited:
Everything depends on what you (or someone) considers "inferior". THE ABILITY TO CAPTURE PROFESSIONALLY LOOKING CONTENT TRUMPS EVERYTHING! In terms of "quality" or resolution of an image, it is ALWAYS limited by the equipment of the viewer and the medium is it presented within. Period. You can take all the 4k or 6k video you have on your computer but if the viewer can have only a FHD monitor and they will never ever see the full "quality" and resolution of the images you have provided.

Will not the Mini 3 create an image comparable to the Air2s? Absolutely. If that's your criteria, then it's not inferior now is it? Does the Mini 3 offer a "smart controller" that runs circles around the standard RCN1 controller. OMG yes. I can fly my Mini 3 in manual as smoothly as with autonomous waypoints with my Mavic 2 Pro or Mini 2. Where the Air2s shines over the Mini 3 is wind stability and maybe a few features.

And there are ways to make images "inferior" equipment incredible. As an example, I use a PROFESSIONAL lab that has interpolation software that I could never afford, bu
Great story. But you’ve gone a little off-track. Ok, a lot.

So what you’re saying is, that a professional can take a better pic than an amateur, even with drastically inferior equipment? Great. We agree, the Mini 3 is inferior 👍🏻
I suppose it is a matter of what you consider "inferior". If you mean that the heavier Air2s is heavier and more stable in the wind and has a few more features than the Mini 2, if you want to split hairs you can call it "inferior" if you like. But if you're trying to state that the Air2s has better "image quality" than the Mini 3, you're getting closer to "it depends".The thing is that no matter how much resolution you have on your original file and how nice it looks on your Eizo monitor you might see a difference. But the fact is that most viewers don't have 4k 10 bit monitors, the predominance of monitors sold today to the average viewer being FHD. And prints? The lab can be more important than even the file itself. I have a Mavic 2 Pro, so I know what a good quality image and video looks like. You can say that the Mavic 3 is "superior" to the M2P, and on paper it clearly is. But when it comes down to publishing or presenting files for a client, so far I have seen no value in "upgrading" to a Mavic 3. I found getting a Mini 3 more beneficial as a backup to replace my Mini 2.

Now, if you want to talk inferior vs superior... The MIni 3 offers a "smart controller" option for $150. The DJI RC runs circles around the standard RCN1 in many respects. More programmable buttons. MUCH more controllable and smooth. No stick dead spots with the DJI RC. Now if you want to spend another $1200 for the RC Pro, it becomes a different story.

The image below is printed as a 20x"24" print hanging in my living room and everyone that sees it comments. Those who know photography are "gobsmacked" (as they'd say across the pond" that it was taken with a 2.75 megapixel camera in 2001! I have 30x40" prints, mostly from travels, hanging as well taken with 6mp cameras with spectacular detail.

1664659159143.png

I suppose it is a matter of what you consider "inferior". If you mean that the heavier Air2s is heavier and more stable in the wind and has a few more features than the Mini 2, if you want to split hairs you can call it "inferior" if you like. But if you're trying to state that the Air2s has better "image quality" than the Mini 3, you're getting closer to "it depends".The thing is that no matter how much resolution you have on your original file and how nice it looks on your Eizo monitor you might see a difference. But the fact is that most viewers don't have 4k 10 bit monitors, the predominance of monitors sold today to the average viewer being FHD. And prints? The lab can be more important than even the file itself. I have a Mavic 2 Pro, so I know what a good quality image and video looks like. You can say that the Mavic 3 is "superior" to the M2P, and on paper it clearly is. But when it comes down to publishing or presenting files for a client, so far I have seen no value in "upgrading" to a Mavic 3. I found getting a Mini 3 more beneficial as a backup to replace my Mini 2.

Now, if you want to talk inferior vs superior... The MIni 3 offers a "smart controller" option for $150. The DJI RC runs circles around the standard RCN1 in many respects. More programmable buttons. MUCH more controllable and smooth. No stick dead spots with the DJI RC. Now if you want to spend another $1200 for the RC Pro, it becomes a different story.

The image below is printed as a 20x"24" print hanging in my living room and everyone that sees it comments. Those who know photography are "gobsmacked" (as they'd say across the pond" that it was taken with a 2.75 megapixel camera in 2001! I have 30x40" prints, mostly from travels, hanging as well taken with 6mp cameras with spectacular detail.

View attachment 155336
My original statement was simply about comparison - when in hand, next to each other, one is a toy, one is equipment.

If I found one in a bush (Mini 3), I would think “aww it’s a lost kids toy” …if I found the Air 2S, I’d think UAV/Camera/equipment. Visually speaking.

The “inferior” came into it when you made the professional camera and a cell phone comparison.

You can talk all day about how weight is an issue for one, but not another - all pros and cons based on personal usage until you’re blue in the face.

We have to agree to disagree, as you might see the Mini 3 as a solid, quality built piece of equipment and the Air 2S as a flimsy toy that flops around in moderate wind and is unable to fly into head wind without dramatic loss of speed and control 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say, I absolutely refuse to call the Mini 3 a “Pro” by any stretch of the imagination. The “Pro” name is what used to be (and still should be) decided by the camera having a mechanical vs. fixed aperture. Pro = mechanical makes sense.

Comparing the old RC-N1 to the new DJI RC? Not sure of the relevance of that in the context of Air 2S vs Mini 3.

That’s a nice image by the way 👌🏻

My original statement was simply about comparison - when in hand, next to each other, one is a toy, one is equipment.

If I found one in a bush (Mini 3), I would think “aww it’s a lost kids toy” …if I found the Air 2S, I’d think UAV/Camera/equipment. Visually speaking.

The “inferior” came into it when you made the professional camera and a cell phone comparison.

You can talk all day about how weight is an issue for one, but not another - all pros and cons based on personal usage until you’re blue in the face.

We have to agree to disagree, as you might see the Mini 3 as a solid, quality built piece of equipment and the Air 2S as a flimsy toy that flops around in moderate wind and is unable to fly into head wind without dramatic loss of speed and control 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say, I absolutely refuse to call the Mini 3 a “Pro” by any stretch of the imagination. The “Pro” name is what used to be (and still should be) decided by the camera having a mechanical vs. fixed aperture. Pro = mechanical makes sense.

Comparing the old RC-N1 to the new DJI RC? Not sure of the relevance of that in the context of Air 2S vs Mini 3.

That’s a nice image by the way 👌🏻
I agree that the "pro" after Mini 3 is quite a stretch. Ok... Not appropriate for what it really is. It's a marketing tool. And based on rules and regs of different countries, it might have to suffice as a professional tool. And while the Air2s is quite formidable and the Air2 would have been my first purchase instead of the Mini 1 had I any experience in the drone world followed, possibly, with an Air2s upgrade... or maybe a step up to the M2P.

FWIW I bought my M2P exactly 4 weeks after purchasing my Mini 1. The Mini 1 was weak and only 2.7k and I was able to sell the Mini 1 at a reasonble price and moved into the Mini 2. I was only able to fly the Mini 1 50% of the time I wanted because the gusts here exceeded it's strength to move through them. The Mini 2 was much better in this regard. I almost don't have to think about wind with the Mavic 2, except in that I know to send the drone out against the wind so it isn't fighting so hard with a partially depleted batter. Why I bought a Mini 3 was largely out of curiosity. It honestly exceeded my expectations in many regards, with the exception of a more limited range in an urban environment than I would have expected from a signal strength standpoint. But the DJI RC , or one without a screen is what DJI SHOULD have produced for all it's "lower level" drones, including the "standard" controller provided with the Mavic 3. Not being concerned with weight, the extended battery is amazing. I cannot tell you how long my Mini 3 can fly because I've never pushed it to the point where it even came close to 20% juice left. Just the confidence in the battery life takes some stress off of every flight.

I agree that the "pro" after Mini 3 is quite a stretch. Ok... Not appropriate for what it really is. It's a marketing tool. And based on rules and regs of different countries, it might have to suffice as a professional tool. And while the Air2s is quite formidable and the Air2 would have been my first purchase instead of the Mini 1 had I any experience in the drone world followed, possibly, with an Air2s upgrade... or maybe a step up to the M2P.

FWIW I bought my M2P exactly 4 weeks after purchasing my Mini 1. The Mini 1 was weak and only 2.7k and I was able to sell the Mini 1 at a reasonble price and moved into the Mini 2. I was only able to fly the Mini 1 50% of the time I wanted because the gusts here exceeded it's strength to move through them. The Mini 2 was much better in this regard. I almost don't have to think about wind with the Mavic 2, except in that I know to send the drone out against the wind so it isn't fighting so hard with a partially depleted batter. Why I bought a Mini 3 was largely out of curiosity. It honestly exceeded my expectations in many regards, with the exception of a more limited range in an urban environment than I would have expected from a signal strength standpoint. But the DJI RC , or one without a screen is what DJI SHOULD have produced for all it's "lower level" drones, including the "standard" controller provided with the Mavic 3. Not being concerned with weight, the extended battery is amazing. I cannot tell you how long my Mini 3 can fly because I've never pushed it to the point where it even came close to 20% juice left. Just the confidence in the battery life takes some stress off of every flight.
I do like the idea of a mini drone, it just seems the quality is lost in trying to achieve the weight/size.

“Horses for courses” as they say - if it’s what you need, that’s awesome.

My personal perception is that it resembles a toy, no matter the features. Some people can turn up for a job with one, I’d be embarrassed to present it as a professional to a client (I’m referring to it being labelled as a Pro drone).

I appreciate your time, viewpoints and input today, thank you 🙏🏻

This is hardly objective. You’re clearly upset and offended by the fact I view your drone as a toy (by comparison).

It’s great you’re happy with the Mini, it has a place in the market for sure. You pretty much say you have no clue about drones and photography though, soooo?
lol...I'm not upset or offended.

I thought your previous post was bit condescending and so it this one. And I didn't say I have "no clue"...I said I have a lot to learn. But go ahead...you be you

I don't have an Air 2s; I'm sure it's a nice drone. Maybe it's more stable in the wind than the Mini 3 but DJI rates the two drones with the same wind resistance. And I've seen enough videos here and on youtube to believe there is not any significant difference in video quality. The only difference seems to be in what a person prioritizes and maybe, Mini 3's performance in low light

but what I like about the Mini 3 are two factors the Air 2s can't duplicate. being under the 250 gram limit and what that means for remote ID. And, even more importantly for me is the flight time when using a plus battery (and yes, I know, the plus breaks the 250g ceiling)

so in this case, my 'toy' has two huge advantages over your 'equipment'

If quality of photo/video are the criteria, ALL DJI drones nelow the Inspire series are toys. They are glorified flying cell phone cameras.

lol...I'm not upset or offended.

I thought your previous post was bit condescending and so it this one. And I didn't say I have "no clue"...I said I have a lot to learn. But go ahead...you be you

I don't have an Air 2s; I'm sure it's a nice drone. Maybe it's more stable in the wind than the Mini 3 but DJI rates the two drones with the same wind resistance. And I've seen enough videos here and on youtube to believe there is not any significant difference in video quality. The only difference seems to be in what a person prioritizes and maybe, Mini 3's performance in low light

but what I like about the Mini 3 are two factors the Air 2s can't duplicate. being under the 250 gram limit and what that means for remote ID. And, even more importantly for me is the flight time when using a plus battery (and yes, I know, the plus breaks the 250g ceiling)

so in this case, my 'toy' has two huge advantages over your 'equipment'
Condescending means superior, I was referring to a drone. As you can’t be rude about a drones’ ”feelings” it translates perfectly well.

You on the other hand, have taken it personally again, and it shows.

“No clue” was derived from you saying “I just want nice videos and photos from my flights” and your reason given for the Air 2S and Mini 3 being the same are due to your “lack of skills” which is hardly a comparison.

“I've seen enough videos here and on youtube…” really doesn’t do anything for credibility. I’ve have/had both drones that I’m commenting on, which you do not, so it makes a huge difference.

Anyway, if it suits you, that’s great. I consider it a toy next to the Air 2S because it looks like one, flopping around in the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyDrone
If quality of photo/video are the criteria, ALL DJI drones nelow the Inspire series are toys. They are glorified flying cell phone cameras.
looking at the specs of the new Inspire, and it's camera, that's undoubtedly true

of course, the cheapest option DJI is offering right now is $5300. That's way too steep a price for recreational flyers, unless they are wealthy, IMO

looking at the specs of the new Inspire, and it's camera, that's undoubtedly true

of course, the cheapest option DJI is offering right now is $5300. That's way too steep a price for recreational flyers, unless they are wealthy, IMO
I own the Mini 3 Pro & Air2S... haven't done a comparison. The Mini 3 Pro was purchased to replace the Mini2 not the Air2S. I've read multiple times the specs show both equal in wind speeds... but launching and flying, gives a much different story. The Air2S is much better in my opinion in wind and flying confidence. But the Mini3Pro definitely has a niche space for quite audio and almost unnoticed by public. In addition, the less it's noticed or not considered a Camera intruding threat the better in many situations. Previous to the Mini 3 Pro release were a few Autels that were to be superior to the Mini 2 and Air2S... after a short time, they were both shown to not be the preferred upgrade. The Mini3 Pro is a great upgrade to Mini2 and the upgrade to the Air2S should be exciting too!

I realize it's off-track and wrong forum... where has price been indicated for Inspire 3?
I've been monitoring the progression of I3 and have seen estimates from $2200 to 20,000, with a suggested base kit estimate $12,000. That would likely be with 2 batteries (1 set), RC (Rumored Upper Option to be M3's RC), and maybe basic / lower end Camera payload.

I suspect an I3 with high end Camera, battery charger, Upper RC, etc will be close to $18-20K USD.
The price of a I2 kit with X5S and added licenses was in upper teens too... at 2018 prices!

Sensor size... Little comparison on Inspire 2... in comparison of the I2 with X5S and the Mavic 3 Cine... I have both. The Mavic 3 is beautiful to setup and get airborne (It's lack of mission waypoints is a killer for my usage), still use M2P. The I2 X5S similar in MFT sensor normally produces much better results due to Len's elements Size, my standard attached lens: M.Zinko 12mm f2. Not to mention Mechanical Shutter with X4S & X7 and the difference with the X7 payload.

The Mavic 3 Enterprise models are attractive for the mechanical shutter but not the fixed aperture, shouldn't have to resort to ND filters for aperture & exposure compensation.

Use what works, and provides the format & quality found acceptable and enjoy the aerial photography for the life's adventures you live. The progression of drone photography has advanced so much in such a short time... likely all these in 2 years will be considered sub-par like the Mavic 1, M2P, Phantom, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy
Just on a comment on what a serious amateur / hobbyist would spend on equipment.
Back up a few years (maybe more), when SLR's, then later DSLR's... the equipment a serious non-pro photographer purchased was often equivalent to a working Pro in Canon, Nikon bodies and Glass... and Darkroom. The Rangefinder series (my rough equivalent to Mini 3 Pro) were very popular but weren't used by serious non-pro... they were used by many consumers.

The majority of the Inspire 1 and Inspire 2 Buyers were non-working Pro's... Serious Hobbyist have traditionally sought Professional hardware. As technology increased in recent years and consumer products approached Pro Product quality... an example above on the iPhone is a good example for common photography, the need to use, carry & transport Pro Gear declined sharply.

Recently, I've noticed a significant increase in high priced DSLR bodies & lenses in tourist locations... takes special Glass: Wide Angle & Tele focal lengths, f-stops and flash options aren't duplicated with iPhones. Ability to focus through a Zoo's bars or reach out and grab a night game's subject the speed of DSLR's, EV range, etc. On the handheld side there has been an uptick in sales in pro gear again just as some companies were considering DSLR's dying.

That may carry over to drones; If quality is superior or add-ons provide a significant advantage to creativity... I think you'll see the Inspire 3 purchased by serious hobbyist, non-working professionals. Price will limit number of Buyers as always, but there will be sales to Non-Pro category higher than some expect.

The chance DJI took on the FPV proved successful... many have entered FPV at a premium price with DJI hardware. The DJI FPV was pricey.... the Avata is very pricey for a more limited style of FPV cinewhoop flying.

I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2S, the Mini 2 does feel a lil toy like in comparison, but I still have it as a potential backup. But it's been quite some time since I actually used the Mini 2.

The Mini 3 Pro seems like a good idea if you didn't already have a drone, or a phone good enough to use with the RC-N1, but glad I wasn't an early adopter considering the fogging issue.

Air 2S compared to the Mini 2 feels more responsive when flying, and feels more "pro" for lack of a better word, but without costing 3x more to get a Mavic 3.

I have a Mini 2 and an Air 2S, the Mini 2 does feel a lil toy like in comparison, but I still have it as a potential backup. But it's been quite some time since I actually used the Mini 2.

The Mini 3 Pro seems like a good idea if you didn't already have a drone, or a phone good enough to use with the RC-N1, but glad I wasn't an early adopter considering the fogging issue.

Air 2S compared to the Mini 2 feels more responsive when flying, and feels more "pro" for lack of a better word, but without costing 3x more to get a Mavic 3.
Mavic 3 is down to around $1500 making only about 1.5 times as much

Mavic 3 is down to around $1500 making only about 1.5 times as much
I think you meant Mavic 3 Classic, and when you add back all the stuff they removed from the 3 to make the Classic (ie: ND filters, etc etc), you end up only being $100 difference between a 3 Classic and 3, sans the zoom lens.

I have to say that this thread is very impressive. With the exception of one blatant, condescending contributor, all of the content is incredibly well said and supplies great content. For that, I have to say great job everybody! Not that anybody gives a crap what I think! :)

For the last six years, I have only owned enterprise drones, currently a small fleet of matrice variants. I like to have a small drone for hiking days, motorcycle, riding and creating memories of all the fun me and the kids have in our backyard. In the past I owned a mini and a couple of mini 2’s. The mini suited me because it was a 250. Other than that, the drone wasn’t much use. The mini 2 was a decent little done. On February 28 I bought a mini 3 pro. Quite by accident, don’t even ask, I bought a second mini 3 pro a few days later. My opinion of this drone is not one of high regard. Straight out of the drone, both the video, and the photographs seem very digitized. I find myself spending more time doing post work with this drones images than any drone I have used in the past. My drone business is primarily inspections and agriculture data acquisition. I only do a small amount of photo and video work. I use an X5S with several lens options. Maybe I am spoiled because of this.
I logged into this forum today looking for thoughts about ownership of both a mini 3 pro and an air 2S. This discussion has been very useful for me. After I finish this post, I am going to order an air 2S. I believe that people who have said that they feel the air 2S frame provides a more appealing flight experience. What I do not like about the M3P, besides the digitized looking images, is the terrible connectivity I get with the N1 controller. I use an iPad mini five with that controller. I also totally agree with the person that said the M3P just does not respond smoothly to stick input. Regardless of EXP adjustments it is not a smooth flyer. At least neither of mine are. In the end, I will keep the M3P because I think it is the best quality sub 250 option.
Is there anybody who has both the DJI RC and also an N1 controller who could give me an idea about their flying experience comparing the two? Maybe that question doesn’t belong in this thread, but a very simple answer would be appreciated. The iPad mini does not fit well in the bag, so it may will be worth buying the RC just to minimize.
So thank you to everybody again. Fantastic input.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78