DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The fake Mavic batteries have arrived.

It's ironic, a Chinese battery copy / 'rip off' of a Chinese made battery.
Used to be that China made pretty much copies of market leaders products from other (then more advanced) manufacturing countries.

That's the thing, hey . . . just making it to fit, hold on securely, change outward appearance a little might be enough to get them out of trouble with design patents.
But it's the technical aspects of how it communicates with the drone / controller / app etc that is also crucial.

Bad enough some tiny adjustment to size / holding tabs etc might cause a battery ejection in flight, possible connection issues . . .
Imagine if the RTH battery remaining data wasn't accurate, or indeed just the level showing on your app / controller screen ?
Will discharge functions work like the originals ?

I've had good after market lithium rechargeable batts for proprietary Olympus point and shoot cameras that have been easily as good as OEM, but then the cameras aren't worth about $1000 and up in the air over all sorts of terrain or water either.

If I were to test these, I would:

1. If possible, open up the case and see what's inside. Looks like high-quality job or poor?
2. Connect to Assistant 2, check the firmware, make sure there are no mismatches and it accepts the batery as legit.
3. Tie Mavic to the ground 100% securely (e.g. zip ties on each arm to the table).
4. Run motors at various speeds, observe cell voltages, % reporting, etc.
5. Charge it with standard charger, any anomalies?
6. After extensive ground tests, free Mavic from zip ties and hover at no more than 1ft above carpet or foam mat.

And only then I would make baby steps to fly it normally.

Who knows, they might be actually good.

Reactions: Mxs
i wouldn't risk it, the bloody thing is not cheap either.

Can someone test these out? Talk to the supplier about making it more enticing?

I would never put a non-OEM battery in my $1,000 drone just to save a few bucks.

I just put a genuine Mavic Pro battery in my cart online, but I'll just pick one up when I go to town because I think they have a good stock of them in our local BB store.

Only worth it if they're much higher density

Mavic battery is already using the most dense lipo material currently available. I would not bother with those 3rd party batteries. If they were 1/3 the price I would buy one just to dismantle and make an external battery interface.

Mavic battery is already using the most dense lipo material currently available. I would not bother with those 3rd party batteries. If they were 1/3 the price I would buy one just to dismantle and make an external battery interface.
I know this, I just really want graphene batteries that won't catch fire.

I seem to remember seeing, on a youtube video, that the firmware setting for disabling the remote controller's incessant beeping on RTH and whatnot was changing one of the settings to "Non-DJI battery". So I wonder if using this non-DJI battery will stop the beeping.

My Phantom 3 Standard "fake" battery works flawless and flies exactly as long as dji battery. But it was $40 less than DJI batteries. I was a little concerned when I bought it, but for $40 it was a chance I'd take. Only thing I can see that's different is the power led's are are not as bright as DJI battery. Not a big deal to me.

With that being said if the difference was only a couple bucks I would go factory.

Last edited:
I seem to remember seeing, on a youtube video, that the firmware setting for disabling the remote controller's incessant beeping on RTH and whatnot was changing one of the settings to "Non-DJI battery". So I wonder if using this non-DJI battery will stop the beeping.
There has never been a setting for the RTH beeping.
As long as the batteries firmware is correct, the flight controller will not know what kind of battery is in it. I've seen people use individual cells.

when you get your electronics PCBs manufactured at an outsourcer (be it in your country or in china) you give them a testing program that they shove in and test it. This is not the firmware that you put in it when it gets back to you, the stuff that it works with. Stops (or at least makes it difficult) people just copying your fw file

There has never been a setting for the RTH beeping.
As long as the batteries firmware is correct, the flight controller will not know what kind of battery is in it. I've seen people use individual cells.
I believe it was part of the modifications that we are not allowed to discuss here. I think I remember people were accessing firmware settings through a "hack" in DJI Assistant 2 that allowed them to bypass many DJI limits and settings. However, I could be and have been known to be wrong.

I bought a battery a DJI battery at BB shortly after I received my MPP. Paid 79.99 with them price matching Amazon's price.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter