DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Things You Do NOT Get With The Crystalsky......

Well, I think that the P4P was on their list of target products. Remind me, does the P4P use quick shots? I'm not sure but I don't think so. In any case, any one can spend their money however they want. It just seems strange to buy a monitor that costs 2/3 as much as the drone, that isn't any brighter than the phone in your pocket and that can't be used for anything else when you're not flying.
Even the 1000 nits is far brighter than any phone on the market. No phone can sustain 1000 nits for 6 hours. Those that do are only able use that brightness for a few minutes before the monitor begins to overheat.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
OK, thanks for that, hang on while I look for an apology for helping someone.

Huh? That's not directed at you, it's more towards the guys that keep complaining that the $600-1100 monitor system doesn't come with a charger for the $500 and $1000 drones. Sorry if you took it that way.

What I did was to buy a 100w Phantom 4 charger and an 'advanced' Mavic charging hub.

That's a great idea, and in retrospect, it's what I should have done. Wish it had occurred to me at the time. I ended up ordering a 2nd CS battery since I figured I'd want one eventually anyway and it's unlikely I'd burn through two on a trip.

Reactions: MacPhersonCa1
Even the 1000 nits is far brighter than any phone on the market. No phone can sustain 1000 nits for 6 hours. Those that do are only able use that brightness for a few minutes before the monitor begins to overheat.

Say what?

From Display Mate,

Some Galaxy S8 Display Highlights
These are just some of the Galaxy S8 Display Highlights that we will be covering in detail throughout the article:

· A new 3K Higher Resolution 2960 x 1440 display that fills almost the entire front face of the phone from edge-to-edge, resulting in a larger 5.8 inch display with a taller height to width Aspect Ratio of 18.5 : 9 = 2.05.

· A new and accurate full 100% DCI-P3 Color Gamut that is also used for 4K TVs. Plus it is the first Smartphone to be certified by the UHD Alliance for Mobile HDR Premium, which allows it to play all of the latest content produced for 4K UHD Premium TVs.

· The Native Color Gamut of the Galaxy S8 is even larger, the result of its new high saturation “Deep Red” OLED, resulting in a very impressive 113% of DCI-P3 and 142% of sRGB / Rec.709 Gamuts that also produces better on-screen Colors in High Ambient Light.

· The Galaxy S8 has 5% to 19% Higher Screen Brightness, plus a record Peak Brightness of over 1,000 nits.

Here's the very comprehensive article.

Galaxy S8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Now on to your second statement about battery life. First of all, I'm not sure who's flying for 6 hours at a time but there have been SEVERAL tests that show my phone getting over 6 hours of use without "overheating"... I've never even seen that. Plus my phone charges in about an hour, from my Samsung portable battery pack.

The big take aways for me is that my phone actually fits in the controller, has a WAY better display at 6.2" 2960x1440 530ppi vs 5.5" 1920x1080 400ppi (the S8 is better ppi wise 5.8" 567 ppi) , you can use 3rd party flight apps, you can use it for other stuff when you're not flying, you can live stream, it's IP68 water resistant, etc,etc,etc.it gets updated. Etc,etc,etc

Say what?

From Display Mate,

Some Galaxy S8 Display Highlights
These are just some of the Galaxy S8 Display Highlights that we will be covering in detail throughout the article:

· A new 3K Higher Resolution 2960 x 1440 display that fills almost the entire front face of the phone from edge-to-edge, resulting in a larger 5.8 inch display with a taller height to width Aspect Ratio of 18.5 : 9 = 2.05.

· A new and accurate full 100% DCI-P3 Color Gamut that is also used for 4K TVs. Plus it is the first Smartphone to be certified by the UHD Alliance for Mobile HDR Premium, which allows it to play all of the latest content produced for 4K UHD Premium TVs.

· The Native Color Gamut of the Galaxy S8 is even larger, the result of its new high saturation “Deep Red” OLED, resulting in a very impressive 113% of DCI-P3 and 142% of sRGB / Rec.709 Gamuts that also produces better on-screen Colors in High Ambient Light.

· The Galaxy S8 has 5% to 19% Higher Screen Brightness, plus a record Peak Brightness of over 1,000 nits.

Here's the very comprehensive article.

Galaxy S8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Now on to your second statement about battery life. First of all, I'm not sure who's flying for 6 hours at a time but there have been SEVERAL tests that show my phone getting over 6 hours of use without "overheating"... I've never even seen that. Plus my phone charges in about an hour, from my Samsung portable battery pack.

The big take aways for me is that my phone actually fits in the controller, has a WAY better display at 6.2" 2960x1440 530ppi vs 5.5" 1920x1080 400ppi (the S8 is better ppi wise 5.8" 567 ppi) , you can use 3rd party flight apps, you can use it for other stuff when you're not flying, you can live stream, it's IP68 water resistant, etc,etc,etc.it gets updated. Etc,etc,etc
You didn’t get my take away. Yes the phone can be bright but it can’t hold that brightness. There have been reports that it drains the battery fast or it will dim after a few minutes because the screen can’t stay that bright for extended periods of time. It’s impractical for this that fly for more than 1 hour at a time. You also failed to consider that DJI Go is a huge battery drainer. Your phone will most certainly not last 6 hours running that app. If I had to riddle an educated guess, assuming the screen can sustain that brightness, you will probably get 45 minutes of battery life at max brightness using DJI ago or another drone app.

You didn’t get my take away. Yes the phone can be bright but it can’t hold that brightness. There have been reports that it drains the battery fast or it will dim after a few minutes because the screen can’t stay that bright for extended periods of time. It’s impractical for this that fly for more than 1 hour at a time. You also failed to consider that DJI Go is a huge battery drainer. Your phone will most certainly not last 6 hours running that app. If I had to riddle an educated guess, assuming the screen can sustain that brightness, you will probably get 45 minutes of battery life at max brightness using DJI ago or another drone app.

You didn't get that I OWN a Samsung S8+ so I don't need to guess what it would do. You know what? I'll post a video of a guy doing a battery test. Playing high resource video games, watching a movie, etc. I use my phone all day at work, fly my Mavic through a couple batteries and then use my phone before bed, no problem. My screen doesn't "dim" or whatever. You set it on auto and I can always see it. I bought a sun shade that I've honest to God never used all summer. I work construction and use my phone outside daily. No problem. No overheating. Plus I can wear polarized sunglasses, can you? Oled is more power efficient for mixed media and I have a 3500 ma battery which is smaller than a CS but 45 minutes? Please! Again, who is this guy flying a Mavic for 6 hours straight? You? So you have 13 Mavic batteries? How are you charging your transmitter?

Over 6 hours of constant use at max brightness.

1. Larger display
2. Sharper display
3. Fast charge/or use any charger-including wireless
4. 6 hours of screen time (oops)
5. Better, more efficient processor
6. Way thinner, lighter
7. Fits in the controller- no brackets required
8. Mobile data built in-no hotspot required
9. Built in speaker and mic
10. Use any flight app- or any app for that matter
11. Live stream
12. Screen mirror to show off your flights to friends- no cords necessary
13. Warranty/insurance plans available
14. Gorilla glass 5 screen
15. Samsung customer service vs DJI customer service

I looked at the CS and realized that my phone is just as good at what the CS does best and also does so much more. If you really want to get sticky, I can buy a battery case that more than doubles my time. Mophie sells one that allows another battery to stick onto it with magnets and charges your phone/case wirelessly. Or I can turn down my display to match the CS for even more battery life.

http://www.mophie.com/search?q=Samsung+s8+

I don't have anything against the CS, I really thought about the 7.8 which made more sense. Mostly because my Samsung Tab S2 has less than a 400 nit brightness index. When I called AdventureX to order, they told me that the 7.8 was "clumsy" so I'm sticking with my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MurMan and Pedro
You didn't get that I OWN a Samsung S8+ so I don't need to guess what it would do. You know what? I'll post a video of a guy doing a battery test. Playing high resource video games, watching a movie, etc. I use my phone all day at work, fly my Mavic through a couple batteries and then use my phone before bed, no problem. My screen doesn't "dim" or whatever. You set it on auto and I can always see it. I bought a sun shade that I've honest to God never used all summer. I work construction and use my phone outside daily. No problem. No overheating. Plus I can wear polarized sunglasses, can you? Oled is more power efficient for mixed media and I have a 3500 ma battery which is smaller than a CS but 45 minutes? Please! Again, who is this guy flying a Mavic for 6 hours straight? You? So you have 13 Mavic batteries? How are you charging your transmitter?

Over 6 hours of constant use at max brightness.

1. Larger display
2. Sharper display
3. Fast charge/or use any charger-including wireless
4. 6 hours of screen time (oops)
5. Better, more efficient processor
6. Way thinner, lighter
7. Fits in the controller- no brackets required
8. Mobile data built in-no hotspot required
9. Built in speaker and mic
10. Use any flight app- or any app for that matter
11. Live stream
12. Screen mirror to show off your flights to friends- no cords necessary
13. Warranty/insurance plans available
14. Gorilla glass 5 screen
15. Samsung customer service vs DJI customer service

I looked at the CS and realized that my phone is just as good at what the CS does best and also does so much more. If you really want to get sticky, I can buy a battery case that more than doubles my time. Mophie sells one that allows another battery to stick onto it with magnets and charges your phone/case wirelessly.

http://www.mophie.com/search?q=Samsung+s8+

I don't have anything against the CS, I really thought about the 7.8 which made more sense. Mostly because my Samsung Tab S2 has less than a 400 nit brightness index. When I called AdventureX to order, they told me that the 7.8 was "clumsy" so I'm sticking with my phone.
I was just going off what other owners supposedly reported about the screen. If it works then yay. I’m still getting the CS with 2000 nits. No phone has that kind of power.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I was just going off what other owners supposedly reported about the screen. If it works then yay. I’m still getting the CS with 2000 nits. No phone has that kind of power.

See that? Common ground! I also considered the 2000 nit unit but a grand+ for something I fly maybe twice a week, and pretty much is grounded for half the year where I live because of weather? Nah! It would have to do something else.

Hey since you're around, can you wifi fly your Mavic with the CS?

See that? Common ground! I also considered the 2000 nit unit but a grand+ for something I fly maybe twice a week, and pretty much is grounded for half the year where I live because of weather? Nah! It would have to do something else.

Hey since you're around, can you wifi fly your Mavic with the CS?
I believe so. The CS has WiFi.

Hello everyone!

First off, love all the information and conversations that happen here. Makes making decisions a lot easier. Does anyone have a size comparison of a Samsung Galaxy 8+ or Note 8 next to a CS 5.5"? Currently I'm using a Galaxy 8+ for flying but I don't like using it as my primary display. Wondering if the 5.5 would be a better overall option. Any help or picture comparisons would be appreciated.

Hello everyone!

First off, love all the information and conversations that happen here. Makes making decisions a lot easier. Does anyone have a size comparison of a Samsung Galaxy 8+ or Note 8 next to a CS 5.5"? Currently I'm using a Galaxy 8+ for flying but I don't like using it as my primary display. Wondering if the 5.5 would be a better overall option. Any help or picture comparisons would be appreciated.

For a moment I was going to get catty with you but decided to be nice this once and look it up for you.

S8+ 159.5*73.5*8.1

Crystalsky 5.5 monitor 153.76*84.94*39.6mm (with battery, about half that without)

For a moment I was going to get catty with you but decided to be nice this once and look it up for you.

S8+ 159.5*73.5*8.1

Crystalsky 5.5 monitor 153.76*84.94*39.6mm (with battery, about half that without)

Feel free to be Catty if you feel the need to. Doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure you've been on forums the last 15 years such as myself so it wouldn't be the first time for either of us. Being catty on a forum is easy.

Thanks for the dimensions of the CS 5.5 and the Note 8. But I was actually looking for a picture comparison if anyone had one. Dimensions are one thing but seeing them side by side is always better for me personally.

Feel free to be Catty if you feel the need to. Doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure you've been on forums the last 15 years such as myself so it wouldn't be the first time for either of us. Being catty on a forum is easy.

Thanks for the dimensions of the CS 5.5 and the Note 8. But I was actually looking for a picture comparison if anyone had one. Dimensions are one thing but seeing them side by side is always better for me personally.

It's the dimensions for a S8+. The box is exactly the same dimensions as the 5.5 CS. 15099104690581906102898.jpg 15099105113211707142237.jpg

Having now used my CS 5.5 for a number of flights on thing I have noticed is that the controller power lasts way longer than it does with my S7 ..... :)

You only need to carry one charger mate?

Or do you mean a different charger? You're not carrying two chargers are you?
Hey look at the bright side! I had to buy the Phantom 4 charger: I now have the advanced charging hub and am able to fly twice as much because I am charging twice as fast and I only have to carry one charger!!!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore