DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

Seems simple to me, use a spare phone that only has DJI software and basic operating system installed to fly, I’d never use my normal phone to fly with anyway. Anyone using a digital assistant whilst flying is asking for trouble as that’s bound to interfere with the software. Like others have stated disconnecting the phone from the remote and piloting her back would have probably been a decent idea.

And the only dangerous thing I saw was the fact you’ve had this issue before and then went to recreate it in a populated area! Surely moving to a remote location to test it would have been much safer so as to protect anyone seeing as you’re so concerned with safety.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Personally all I saw in the video was someone panicking when things didn’t go as they thought they should have and it just so happened to coincide with the Google Assistant command - which again was a very inexperienced thing to do while flying. Regardless, the Go app allows data connectivity for all sorts of stuff such as maps and even live streaming so it’s a non-issue sending a request out via any other app be it the GA or anything else.

I agree with all the ‘you should fly safely’ comments but in no way agree that the GA caused this.

As I said earlier I’ve taken calls while flying, on speakerphone and left my Phantom hovering soundly without any issues. I’ve streamed to Facebook and had Bluetooth on and connected to my Fitbit. I’ve also had my keys in my pocket and been leaning on my car - all without issues.

Again, all I got from the original post was inexperience followed by a lot of other paranoid/under educated (about the product they are flying) posts from people spouting what not to do when they honestly do not seem to grasp that most of the things suggested like not having keys in your pocket or not having any other apps installed on their £400+ iPad is simply ridiculous.

I really understand your concern.

Nevertheless. I ALWAYS fly on Airplane Mode.
ALWAYS. 1% OF THE EXCEPTION WILL BE on the tracing mode because data network on will provide better Gps location.

When we're flying drones we shouldn't be doing anything else.

I won't even state the fact that 99% of us fly beyond VLOS but that's less hazardous than flying with everything on.

I recently even bought a stand alone smartphone just to use with the drone.

PS: Always remember to use the PAUSE ⏸️ Button in case of emergency or lack of connection or sudden loss of controls

Remember that sometimes its shortcuts that cause or lead to accidents.

In your case, being lazy to turn the brightness up almost made you lose the drone.

Reactions: Amarand
I don't believe it is currently possible to disable Google voice commands. Just this month I tried to do that. The way I found is to revoke permission for Google to use the mike. If you think that is permanent, well don't tap the microphone in the search window, google turns voice on again. If you avoid voice an just type requests the mike will stay off. BUT; you will begin to see Google Play Services reporting failures in other android apps that are not even voice related. That fix is to return permission for the microphone! Google wants it on!!!!!
John, I have not had your problem with the Mavic, because I use a Crystal sky, not a phone.

EDA375B2-BAF9-4E47-BB1C-7032BBC014AE.jpeg

Cite: How to Stop Google Assistant, Siri, Cortana, and Alexa Active Listening

Does your Google device lack this function?

Remember that sometimes its shortcuts that cause or lead to accidents.

In your case, being lazy to turn the brightness up almost made you lose the drone.

On my iPhone, it’s swipe-down from the upper-right (orientation-relative, completely intuitive), and that brings up everything you need including Do Not Disturb and brightness.

59EC850D-86CB-4DA4-AE8C-6C05037B1EBE.jpeg

Swipe back up and you’re back in your app. Never trust voice controls when flying. Hasn’t anyone seen Airplane II? ?

Regardless, do not disturb on iOS is garbage. Notice the Data, WiFi and Bluetooth is STILL enabled - you just won’t get any notifications.

Which also brings me back to my previous point that sending or receiving data while flying your quad does not affect it in the slightest.

The only thing you are doing by putting it in to do not disturb mode is stopping those annoying pop ups when someone likes your livestream [emoji1]

Regardless, do not disturb on iOS is garbage. Notice the Data, WiFi and Bluetooth is STILL enabled - you just won’t get any notifications.

Which also brings me back to my previous point that sending or receiving data while flying your quad does not affect it in the slightest.

The only thing you are doing by putting it in to do not disturb mode is stopping those annoying pop ups when someone likes your livestream [emoji1]

Someone liked my livestream?! ?

Nah, I fly basically how you see there. I think disabling certain things would improve my phone’s battery life, which is a good thing, but I’m not sure (from an engineering standpoint) how disabling these things would improve flying or increase safety.

I feel (again, this is just from my own personal experience) that DnD is the best balance because as the pilot, I don’t want to be disturbed.

But I also see that if someone has a ton of background apps running, and those apps are pulling in new information, and they cause the phone to hang/crash/reboot, you’re putting yourself into a stressful situation if you’re relying on the Go App to get you home safely.

I agree that pilots should know how to use ATTI mode. That they should practice RTH so they know what to expect. Full-on manual without the display. Making sure you have a solid pre- and post-flight checklist.

These are all things actual pilots learn (instruments versus visual, checklists, regular maintenance, flight plans). Sometimes I think some people take the flying of SUAV too lightly. But that’s just me.

Disabling notifications isn’t going to boost your battery life when all connectivity is still active though is it.. Yes if the connectivity was actually disabled but iOS does NOT do this so you’re saving nothing.

If someone is so distracted by a pop up notification saying they have a new email or whatever that it causes them to fumble around like the OP did in his video then they shouldn’t be flying in all honesty.

*Additionally, yes I completely agree closing background apps is best practice as this WILL release resources not only saving battery but also limit the chance that Go will crash or at the very least stutter.

Disabling notifications isn’t going to boost your battery life when all connectivity is still active though is it.. Yes if the connectivity was actually disabled but iOS does NOT do this so you’re saving nothing.

If someone is so distracted by a pop up notification saying they have a new email or whatever that it causes them to fumble around like the OP did in his video then they shouldn’t be flying in all honesty.

*Additionally, yes I completely agree closing background apps is best practice as this WILL release resources not only saving battery but also limit the chance that Go will crash or at the very least stutter.

Oh, no. My point was DnD does not save me any iPhone battery life. But I replace my phone every year so battery life is never my bottleneck.

I think that sometimes virtual assistants can pull focus away from your current app. I can only speak from experience with Siri. If you press the activation button or use her wake word, she pulls to the front. Fully obscuring your screen. I’m assuming calling up GA does the same thing. Annoying but easy to rectify in the moment. Just wait a few seconds for it to close out. Siri will back off, leaving you where you were, same app.

Just so we’re clear, some people call multi-tasking apps “background apps.” I think the main/important thing to look for are apps that have permission to run continuously in the background, even when they haven’t been started up by running them. Some apps are terrible network, CPU and memory hogs, and can quickly deplete your battery and sometimes even cause foreground GUI lag and app/phone crashes. Super bad when flying.

But in the end, be prepared to switch it into manual and fly without the device. Your RC will work just fine.

And if a pilot doesn’t know how to fly with their RC alone, they need to practice.

Most posts have other forum members lining up stating "yeah, that happened to me too." However, not ONE other forum member has experienced this problem. It simply is not an issue. Most fliers inactive their phones and apps in advance of their flight and that is what should be done to prevent app interference. There are probably a whole host of phone apps that could effect a flight and that is why experienced fliers inactivate them and/or even use dedicated fly-only phones with few apps to begin with.

Probably gullible enough to spend the extra because it’s not running other apps and won’t detect the keys in his pocket causing the drone to fly back to China [emoji854]

I am more interested in how EXACTLY a drone is going to kill me or someone close to me. Pretty outrageous claim if you ask me.

Imagine the drone up 200ft and then motor fail, birdstrike, or for whaetever reasons crash and fall on a driving car, driver of car loses control, swerve and hit a baby on a pram + mum + dog and fatality occurs.

And dont forget at such height, a falling drone could achive speeds of 80MPH or more based on a 1KG drop weight. If it hits a person's head it could be deadly.

such incident could also kill the drone user indirectly, such as shock/trauma/heart attack that he had just killed someone with the drone.

Probably gullible enough to spend the extra because it’s not running other apps and won’t detect the keys in his pocket causing the drone to fly back to China [emoji854]
Genius. Do you think the OP might have created this thread if his concerns weren’t genuine? Personally I don’t think there is much if any chance GA is implicated however there is no need to put the boot in.

Yes, you started the same thread two months ago: Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2
Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2: Do not engage Google Assistant whilst flying your Mavic 2

Not sure why we need a repeat. Disabling or just not using a personal assistant is easy enough to do.
I thought I had that feeling of déjà vu when reading the OP

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Oh mel.m please do not go to this video it will certainly end "with great disappointment". Just do not watch it.
Again I was accosted by teens talking to me just like talking to GA. No different. They were drunk as ****, what could I have done but bit my lip and continue to take video.
Land...

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23