DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This quality is amazing!

thefrisbee995

Reactions
So I got a P4P when the Mavic came out as the delivery took too long. I recently switched my P4P for a Mavic... I got the Mavic knowing the P4P is probably a lot better in terms of video quality... When I saw how small the Mavic camera was my heart kind of sunk and I thought I had made a mistake. I made a video regardless while I spent a couple of nights away and I am really surprised with the quality of the Mavic's video.

See the following video I made. The shots from the ground were made using my FZ2000 and I thought the difference in quality would be considerable... It's noticeable but but no means massive imo.

Very happy Mavic pilot!

Also, since I am by no means a professional, please do feel free to give me any tips as to how I can improve my video/ editing skills. Thanks!

Nice. You're def on the right track. I like your use of closeup and selective focus.

Some of the handheld scenes look a little shaky? Or were they not handheld and with a lot of wind?

Oh yeah, there are numerous examples of stunning video made with the Mavic.

In skilled hands there is no question that it can meet professional standards for specific applications.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: thefrisbee995
Nice. You're def on the right track. I like your use of closeup and selective focus.

Some of the handheld scenes look a little shaky? Or were they not handheld and with a lot of wind?

Oh yeah, there are numerous examples of stunning video made with the Mavic.

In skilled hands there is no question that it can meet professional standards for specific applications.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks, appreciate your response. The handheld scenes were a little shaky as it was so windy. I wanted to make a longer video with the other end of the beach included but I thought it not safe to fly there. I didn't want to use too much stabilisation in final cut as I didn't want to lose the resolution too much.

I've seen other videos done with the Mavic and thought that must just be some insane editing but I kept the editing to the minimum (I only adjusted the colours slightly). I am mostly impressed with how good the footage is "out of the box"

Reactions: Sentinel5P
Great video, would love to be able to learn how to create a video like that!
Self-teach! Get a copy of final cut and just have a muck about with it. If you want to try anything adventurous, Google will be your best friend. It's really satisfying watching back the "final" version.

That's my local beach, live a couple of miles from it, nice capture and what looks like a windy day
You're lucky to live on such a nice coast. I'm from Worthing and it's a bit grotty and boring there. Yes, it was incredibly windy, I could only get a couple of flights in over a few days because it was so windy. Had the Mavic in sport mode heading back to me and struggled to break 6mph!

Reactions: Pathogen
Very nice! You asked for some feedback, two things that immediately come to mind:

Not sure what was going on with the pullbacks @ 0:23 and 1:05... where those flying backwards, or zoom-out in post? They were shaky, almost looked like jello effect a few times. In any case, if you weren't using an ND filter to knock exposure down so you could run the shutter about 2x the framerate, that might explain some of that wigglyness.

As for the motion ground shots, did you know you can use your Mavic on the ground, folded up, as a steadycam? PolarPro makes a mount/handle (Katana) for exactly this purpose, but you don't need it. Basically when you have a Mavic, you have a somewhat cumbersome Osmo too.

Very nice! You asked for some feedback, two things that immediately come to mind:

Not sure what was going on with the pullbacks @ 0:23 and 1:05... where those flying backwards, or zoom-out in post? They were shaky, almost looked like jello effect a few times. In any case, if you weren't using an ND filter to knock exposure down so you could run the shutter about 2x the framerate, that might explain some of that wigglyness.

As for the motion ground shots, did you know you can use your Mavic on the ground, folded up, as a steadycam? PolarPro makes a mount/handle (Katana) for exactly this purpose, but you don't need it. Basically when you have a Mavic, you have a somewhat cumbersome Osmo too.
Bit of confusion - the mentioned shots were taken using my Lumix FZ2000 and it was very windy so I struggled even resting the camera to keep it steady. I wanted to try something new since I now have a drone I can carry along with my camera, I wanted to try and use them both. Shows how great the Mavic's camera is though if its tiny sensor is getting mistaken for the bigger bridge camera

Bit of confusion - the mentioned shots were taken using my Lumix FZ2000 and it was very windy so I struggled even resting the camera to keep it steady. I wanted to try something new since I now have a drone I can carry along with my camera, I wanted to try and use them both. Shows how great the Mavic's camera is though if its tiny sensor is getting mistaken for the bigger bridge camera
Ahhh... so the pullbacks were zoom-outs with the FZ2000 standing on land. Fooled me!

The quality of the FZ2000 looks much better than the Mavic in that ground beach shot of the stones in the lapping ocean water (stunning, BTW). However, it would be really interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of quality for a shot like that -- as I said, you can use the Mavic as a steadycam in your hands, so you could take that same shot with the mavic to compare.

No aperture, so the depth of field effect won't be there for the mavic the same way. However, it would be an interesting comparison.

As for that pull-back, now you know to just put your bird in the air and shoot that one for real!

Oh, one more thing: I got this PolarPro case for $25, and I just love it to death. It's so tiny any compact, holds the MP, controller, and 2 extra batteries (for a total of 3 to fly with). Because of this, its so easy to take my VP with me practically everywhere I go, all the time. I'm always ready to capture that surprise moment when something happens and you would kill yourself later for not having the MP with you.

PolarPro_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.jpg
PolarPro_DJI_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.png

Reactions: workfortravel
Ahhh... so the pullbacks were zoom-outs with the FZ2000 standing on land. Fooled me!

The quality of the FZ2000 looks much better than the Mavic in that ground beach shot of the stones in the lapping ocean water (stunning, BTW). However, it would be really interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of quality for a shot like that -- as I said, you can use the Mavic as a steadycam in your hands, so you could take that same shot with the mavic to compare.

No aperture, so the depth of field effect won't be there for the mavic the same way. However, it would be an interesting comparison.

As for that pull-back, now you know to just put your bird in the air and shoot that one for real!
I'll admit that the FZ2000 is superior in almost every way (except being as steady and being able to fly!) but for landscapes, I think the Mavic really stands up well for it. Shots like the one of the stones and the sea rolling in over them would indeed no way be possible with the Mavic - unless you sort of faked it in post production haha

I was tempted with the pull-back to use the drone but I thought it a bit iffy given the number of people on the beach and the strength of the wind.

I think you've given me a good idea there. I agree it would be interested to make a side by side video. I'll see if I can get around to doing so soon. Keep an eye out and I'll post a link to it on here :)

Oh, one more thing: I got this PolarPro case for $25, and I just love it to death. It's so tiny any compact, holds the MP, controller, and 2 extra batteries (for a total of 3 to fly with). Because of this, its so easy to take my VP with me practically everywhere I go, all the time. I'm always ready to capture that surprise moment when something happens and you would kill yourself later for not having the MP with you.

PolarPro_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.jpg
PolarPro_DJI_Mavic_Soft_Case_compact.png
That looks so compact! Would have been worth considering if I hadn't ordered a case 3 days ago from China :(

Nice vid did you color correct it? what settings did you use to film? true color or dlog??

Nice vid did you color correct it? what settings did you use to film? true color or dlog??
I got final cut to balance the colour in the first clip then decided to match the colour in most of the other clips, thought that looked pretty good, it was a little bit warmer than it was before. I used true colour to record in as it better matched the "standard" settings on my FZ2000 that I used for the ground shots.

Ok cool thanks, where would you recommend a good place in west sussex to fly my mavic?

Ok cool thanks, where would you recommend a good place in west sussex to fly my mavic?
Lots of places! The best place to start out is down Goring gap. There is a road called amberley drive where a lot of people often fly model aircraft and provided it is't windy, you can get some good range on a clear day, I'm wondering if it is possible to reach the wind farm from there but I don't want to risk it. Lot of model air craft guys there saturday and sunday afternoons, some with phantoms, always very friendly if you want any info. Another place is the old Cement works, very interesting place to fly but don't fly too high as planes often head into Shoreham to land near there. Loads of places up by devils dyke (ok, that's east sussex..). Few fields that are often quiet if you head up past the meadows up honeysuckle (I often cycle through that area and try to bring my mavic). Amberley is quite quiet and nice to look at, just avoid the cattle in the fields. I really like Steyning but that's another place where it is hard to fly without being where you shouldn't be too.

I'm constantly finding different places to go. If you don't mind flying where annoying elderly people all past moaning that you're "spying", there are a lot more too, although I try to avoid them as they just suck the fun out of it. Earlier in the mornings, the seafront in worthing is pretty good too. Worthing seafront is really known the locals for bad 3G signal quality though so if you need data for whatever you're doing, don't get your hopes up.

Lots of places! The best place to start out is down Goring gap. There is a road called amberley drive where a lot of people often fly model aircraft and provided it is't windy, you can get some good range on a clear day, I'm wondering if it is possible to reach the wind farm from there but I don't want to risk it. Lot of model air craft guys there saturday and sunday afternoons, some with phantoms, always very friendly if you want any info. Another place is the old Cement works, very interesting place to fly but don't fly too high as planes often head into Shoreham to land near there. Loads of places up by devils dyke (ok, that's east sussex..). Few fields that are often quiet if you head up past the meadows up honeysuckle (I often cycle through that area and try to bring my mavic). Amberley is quite quiet and nice to look at, just avoid the cattle in the fields. I really like Steyning but that's another place where it is hard to fly without being where you shouldn't be too.

I'm constantly finding different places to go. If you don't mind flying where annoying elderly people all past moaning that you're "spying", there are a lot more too, although I try to avoid them as they just suck the fun out of it. Earlier in the mornings, the seafront in worthing is pretty good too. Worthing seafront is really known the locals for bad 3G signal quality though so if you need data for whatever you're doing, don't get your hopes up.

Ok thanks I have flown from Waterwise play Area to Worthing pier. Chanctonbury ring and cissbury ring I like too. Have you tried Cowdry ruins in Midhurst? thats a must.

That looks so compact! Would have been worth considering if I hadn't ordered a case 3 days ago from China :(

I just got one of the "China" cases for my mavic. About £13 and i'm well impressed with it's quality and compactness. It holds the mavic, 2 extra battery's, the controller and the charger, there is also a mesh bit in the lid for my ipad mini/spare props etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas